Real Homemade Pub Grub

I know that the only FROZEN vegetable I ever bought were peas .
Theres a wee clue in the above .

The OP was all about somebody trying to find well cooked [on the premises] food . They were obviously not looking for places where they used potato powder , mushy frozen vegetables and all the other lazy methods of presenting mediocre food . Unfortunately we have people like yourself , rather ridiculously , promoting and extolling the virtues of all the above . Of course all 'homemade food' is not good but it is important that cooks/chefs should be encouraged to actually cook . I spent many years cooking good pub food and , of course , it wasn't always perfect . What I do know is that it was better than most 'pub grub' that I come across

Adding Nutrients
High quality limestone........ is a source of calcium in foods and vitamins. Foods where limestone adds calcium include breads, granola bars, cereal, infant formula, pasta, pet food, tofu, yogurt, graham crackers, baking mixes, waffles...the uses grow daily. It also has many uses in making antacids and medicine tablets.

http://www.longcliffe.co.uk/pdf/The Processing and Major Uses of Limestone.pdf

Though it does seem a long way from OP request for pubs with good home cooked grub :)

I know that the only frozen vegetable I ever bought were peas . Have you tasted frozen cauliflower , carrots etc ? To suggest that these are just as good as fresh displays an incredible ignorance . Next thing you'll be suggesting is we should be making mash from powder ! Oh wait that's already been suggested .
Yes I Have and prefer them when they are not in season and have to be keep in atmospheric controlled conditions with Argon Gas and once taken out just go to crap in two days. This when they are not flown thousands of miles wasting the meager resources of the planet.
If I have Veggys in season in my allotment I'll have them! If not Frozen all the time.

Now I'm going for a beer :beer:

Hello El Veterano,,

If you ever come up to around the Chester area, Brunning and Price pubs all do good cooked on the premises food.

I have just googled them for the url, and see that they have expanded. But all the ones I've visited, some many times all do good food and sell a variety of cask beer. The Pubs - Brunning & Price Limited,
However as a very broad generalisation, free houses, in my experience, tend to be better than pubcos etc, there will, obviously, be exceptions so it is a bit of pot luck.

Alec
Dined at the Glasfryn for a pre theatre meal before a Show at the Theatre Clwyd also the Corn Mill in Llangollen the Ploughman's was a 'Desperate Dan' size portion,apart from a small loaf,it had a home-made pie,scotch egg,pickle an apple, oh yes and 2 types of cheese!
Their new one-The Red Fox is very close to us.
A pub local to me,The Travellers Rest DOES do home made food especially the cooked hams and soups,I made the mistake of having ham hock soup foolwed by ham sandwiches and a bowl of chips,I couldn't finish it The sandwiches were a round and a half of massive bloomer and the soup was served in a huge bowl accompanied by a huge chunk of bread! It is home made,I know I've been in the kitchen!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello El Veterano,,

If you ever come up to around the Chester area, Brunning and Price pubs all do good cooked on the premises food.

I have just googled them for the url, and see that they have expanded. But all the ones I've visited, some many times all do good food and sell a variety of cask beer. The Pubs - Brunning & Price Limited,
However as a very broad generalisation, free houses, in my experience, tend to be better than pubcos etc, there will, obviously, be exceptions so it is a bit of pot luck.

Alec

Brunning & Price have been a customer of mine for a few years now, and I have delivered to most of their pubs. The pubs are always fitted out to a high standard, and although I have never eaten in one, the food certainly looks and smells very good!

I am trying to get my travel journal up to date, and today did the one for when I visited The Crooked House and The Bull and Bladder (The Vine) both in the Black Country. Good food at both and freshly made in both cases. I ate in the restaurant at the Crooked House and it was top class restaurant food and not all that expensive, The Bull and Bladder couldn't be cheaper at £2.50 for a huge plate of faggots and peas, and if the faggots weren't home made by them they were certainly freshly made not far away, and as good as when I made my own which I did for years. Bathams beer was I think about £2.50 a pint

Check out my journal entry and if you click the link there are photos as well

HOME - The World is my Lobster

pub food

INGLBY ARMS AMCOTTS near Scunthorpe nice village pub well priced all cooked from fresh and proper chips aways.

Probably a little too far out of your way but 'The Falls Of Dochart Inn' at Killin in Scotland does some very nice pub grub, is dog friendly and has a large brazier type fire to help keep you warm in the depths of winter.

Their Cullen skink is fabulous. (Smoked fish soup)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back