Real Homemade Pub Grub

While I agree with you that it should be unnecessary to add salt and pepper to a meal if it is well cooked using this criteria does not work in Wetherspoons because if memory serves me right(it is a very long time since I have been in one and out of the 4 times I have been in one I have had to complain about still frozen food twice) they have a table at the side where after getting your own knife and fork you can help yourself to as much salt and pepper as you need along with ketchup, brown sauce and that terrible brown muck they call French mustard. Perhaps a better way of judging the quality of food served at any establishment is if they supply condiments in plastic sachets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corrected that for you. I agree they are all dependent on their staff but there is only so far anybody can go with a vac pack meal and a microwave, people go there because they get cheap beer and sadly many dont know what better food is, as long you dont expect much you cant be disappointed, I would rather go to a local cafe or bakery for a bacon butty or pie than bother with a wetherspoons.

Not much of a fan of burgers, but I have found the 100% lean beef ones are too dry, much prefer ones with a bit of fat content.

The Applecross Inn - in you guessed it - Applecross, Highland, Scotland. Fantastic food

The George & Dragon
267 Great North Rd, Eaton Socon, St. Neots, Cambridgeshire, PE19 8BL
Tel: 01480 211444

Lovely home cooked food here, especially Sunday roast. Apparently the burgers are really good too!

It's my local, so obviously a classy joint.

I have wined and dined in various high end restaurants in the UK and around the world usually paid for on my employers American Express card and most had salt and pepper on the table.
To be honest I use that much salt and pepper I have yet to have a meal where I didn't add more once I had tasted it.
I have to say some of the meals I had costing a kings ransom were not always the best and fish and chips eaten out of the paper at Whitby take some beating lol !

if you ever get into east yorks, try the fish shop in wetwang, just as good as Whitby, imo.

My opinion is the food in wetherspoons is awful but I am used to home cooked food as well as crisps and nuts hygiene makes folk ill I think, no resistance.:dog:

where?

We cook for the father in law each week usually on a Tuesday.
We do cook at home.
Menu
Roast beef and gravey
Yorkshire pudding, Google best, took 4 eggs!
Rosemary scented carrots
Honey and mustard glazed roasted parsnips
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Garden peas
Kale
Mashed potatoes
And for pud, Apple pie and custard.
And the comment from the father in law is, don't know why you bother with all that cooking!
Home cooked food is from the heart.
You get the food the effort took.
No effort, poor food.
You are what you eat!

are my roast tatties :heart:

if you ever get into east yorks, try the fish shop in wetwang, just as good as Whitby, imo.

Just for fun never had good fish and chips in whitby, had a good curry once though and meals from a navy chef, bustard to park these days, years ago it was dead in winter NOT :scared:

No chance of walking of the street for a meal here at the weekend, bookings only The People | The Sun Inn

Or here </title> </head> <frameset cols="100%,*" border="0"> <frame src="http://www.piesbypost.co.uk/lochlarder" name="main"> <noframes> <head> <title>

My old favorite, who took clams a plenty of us. Plockton Hotel (Scotland) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

And finally, a list of many Best Seafood Restaurants in Scottish Highlands, Scotland: Compare 68 Seafood Restaurants with 8,069 Reviews - TripAdvisor

Not bad for a nation of munchers of mars bars done in batter! :tongue:

Highly under rated the deep fried Mars bar, followed closely by the deep fried Pizza.....:lol-049:

I really must apologize for my 'punctuation ability' ! Please feel free to correct any mistakes . Unfortunately that won't alter the facts . Mince is mince (or is it mince are mince?)

Must admit, you surprised me a bit there David. I haven't (knowingly) eaten instant mash for years. So I thought I would put it to the test and I bought some from Tesco this morning.

Just tried it with some homemade stew, and I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. I did mix in some butter and pepper, as I quite like a peppery mash, and it was actually quite nice, and certainly better than SOME real mash I have been served. Very quick and easy to make, and a definite to keep in the van or to take with me tent camping, (nice and light to carry).

The Plough

77 Church Street, Langford, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, SG18 9QA

Great homemade food, and again, lovely Sunday Roasts.

They will also allow you to stay overnight. Great pub!

'Frozen vegetables are usually as good as fresh vegetables, too'

From that sentence alone you , quite obviously , know nothing about food . Having said that you certainly know how to talk a load of mince

I'm afraid sir with that comment you just have showed that you don't know anything about vegs.
Example: Garden Peas harvested and dry frozen within 2 hours keep all the freshness and nutrients that "fresh peas" traveling half around the world will loose within 12 hours of being harvested.
I know which ones i rather have

I'm afraid sir with that comment you just have showed that you don't know anything about vegs.
Example: Garden Peas harvested and dry frozen within 2 hours keep all the freshness and nutrients that "fresh peas" traveling half around the world will loose within 12 hours of being harvested.
I know which ones i rather have

I know that the only frozen vegetable I ever bought were peas . Have you tasted frozen cauliflower , carrots etc ? To suggest that these are just as good as fresh displays an incredible ignorance . Next thing you'll be suggesting is we should be making mash from powder ! Oh wait that's already been suggested .

I had a young lady stay with me for a couple of years who worked at Weatherspoons cooking the food. On curry nights she would often bring home thawed out curries as once they are out of the freezer they cannot go back in. They were, I have to say, reasonable good but not in the Akbar’s way.
She would fry eggs from real eggs but the scrambled was a dry powder mix. Bacon, sausage, jacket potatoes, vegetables, Yorkshire puddings chips all frozen/ frozen part cooked and bread part baked. Catering on Weatherspoons scale there is no way all the food can be cooked from fresh but I think they have, better than most, sorted it out.
I have a customer who used to take Cadbury’s eighteen tons of crushed lime stone from the Derbyshire quarries every month to add into their ‘Smash’ apparently keeps its colour better.

The Mill Cafe
4-6 Nuthall Rd
Nottingham
NG8 5AZ
Do a great sausage sandwich.

PS; Have you got your sprouts on for Christmas yet?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back