Pub chains that serve food - which one?

Given the rip off prices here I'm not surprised you catch a cold!
John

Only one thing causes obesity and that is the amount of food you put through your mouth into your stomach,you cannot blame any one other than yourself if you allow your body to become obese,problem is with most people is that the entrance hole to ones stomach is larger than the exit hole from it.he he. :scared:

Given the rip off prices here I'm not surprised you catch a cold!
John
What rip off prices are those then,it is cheaper to eat out here in England than France Spain and Portugal depending on which type of food you are looking for, it is cheaper to buy raw ingredients here in our Supermarkets etc than the Countries mentioned particularly with the two for one type of offers available alcohol prices in these Countries are no longer the big deal they used to be and ciggarettes are getting very expensive there to, (I do not smoke or buy ciggarettes but see the prices) Continental vat, I V A has risen lately and has made big differences to prices,on our return home from our very frequent trips to various places in Europe we realise how well off we actually are in England.

What rip off prices are those then?

Okay, I admit it: I was generalising and attempting a play on words at the same time! However........we like to drink wine, so there is an immediate saving just about everywhere we go; we don't find many three course lunches in the UK for 10 euros - none that I'd want to eat anyway; diesel is 20% cheaper: need I go on?
John

Only one thing causes obesity and that is the amount of food you put through your mouth into your stomach,you cannot blame any one other than yourself if you allow your body to become obese,problem is with most people is that the entrance hole to ones stomach is larger than the exit hole from it.he he. :scared:

Obesity is caused by not burning off the Calories you take on board.

Anyone who worked in Medium/Heavy industries were never fat, despite needing a lot of Calories.

In fact I can still fit into my wifes dresses after over 40 years of marriage. :banana:

Indeed, most of my DIY tools and gardening equipment was bought in France - mainly from hypermarkets. I also bought loads of plumbing equipment from Bricolage

Indeed, most of my DIY tools and gardening equipment was bought in France - mainly from hypermarkets. I also bought loads of plumbing equipment from Bricolage

AND you can buy Oxy-Acetylene portable welding sets from them for sensible money! AND garden gate movers at half the UK price etc.....etc....
John

I dont agree with you about bulk buying and poor quality food,we shop at Asda mainly and their prices and food quality is second to none,French food buying is expensive compared to England and market prices are very high too,I recently bought a spit roasted chicken in France on a market,it cost me 12 euros and was supposed to have been farm reared it was rather small too,I can get the same thing at Asda for a fiver and much bigger too,cooked in the same way,bread and milk is also much more expensive too,Road fuel is not much different in price than here and the Motorway tolls are huge in France too,so that outweighs the annual road tax we pay,I bought a hot water bottle in France recently that cost me 15 euros a bog standard item.I dont buy much welding gear or gate closers so I dont know much about that,I can buy good wine at Asda three bottles for a tenner,so my opinion is that little old England is cheap for food and eatng out too.

That TAY BARNS looks interesting, reminds me of Golden Corral in the USA, we'll give TAY BARNS a try next time we're around Coventry. We like Crown Caveries but we don't like Weatherspoons, we don't like rubbing shoulders with the foul mouthed, inebriated, half wits who block access to the bar.

Road fuel is not much different in price than here and the Motorway tolls are huge in France too,so that outweighs the annual road tax we pay

Well diesel in France is currently €1.32 on average (I know there are outlets that are cheaper even than that) and that equates to £1.09. Diesel here in the UK is currently £1.38 on a good day around my part of the world, a saving of 29 pence per ltr buying in France, which in my Ducato relates to a saving of around £26 per tank full.
I'll buy my diesel in France thank you, and my wine, beer, spirits, oil (huge difference in price there), snow chains, toilet paper, washing powder etc, etc, etc.
But if ever I do need a hot water bottle, you can rest assured that I will be buying that in the UK.

What rip off prices are those then,it is cheaper to eat out here in England than France Spain and Portugal depending on which type of food you are looking for, it is cheaper to buy raw ingredients here in our Supermarkets etc than the Countries mentioned particularly with the two for one type of offers available alcohol prices in these Countries are no longer the big deal they used to be and ciggarettes are getting very expensive there to, (I do not smoke or buy ciggarettes but see the prices) Continental vat, I V A has risen lately and has made big differences to prices,on our return home from our very frequent trips to various places in Europe we realise how well off we actually are in England.
Just had a family gathering at the Drum Inn at Cockington(Vintage Inns chain).
18 adults, 8 children and made up of UK., Germany, France, Switzerland and Sweden.
When it came to paying, my daughter in laws Swedish cousin volunteered to pay the whole bill saying that it would have been at least 75% dearer in his home town.
Elise, from Switzerland and her husband agreed comparing their prices to those in the UK.

Last edited:
food

You can't. Beet a, TAY BARNS, all you can eat for about 6 quid ,lotts of choice. As many courses as you like definitely not for stick insects, :

Sounds good, what part of the country are they.

:camper:

I can certainly vouch for that! I spent a week on business in Stockholm in 1983, and the only time my Swedish colleagues could afford to go out was when the Company was paying for it. The bottle of malt that I gave my opposite number ensured that I would receive many favours!
As far as I know, as my Scandinavian friends tell me, nothing has changed, and Norway is even worse.

There is a Swiss guy on our pontoon, a retired professor who has a £250,000 boat AND a new SL500, and even he complains about the cost of living at home!

John

Last edited:
I think France and Britain are pretty much on parity nowadays, one or the other can be more expensive dependant upon location and lifestyle choice.

What reduced the gap as in the case of a lot of european countries was their adoption of the euro so far as I can tell.

When I lived in France sterling was quite weak against the euro, I was paid in sterling so the Dutch and Irish employees seemed to fair a little better

Channa

Just had a family gathering at the Drum Inn at Cockington(Vintage Inns chain).
18 adults, 8 children and made up of UK., Germany, France, Switzerland and Sweden.
When it came to paying, my daughter in laws Swedish cousin volunteered to pay the whole bill saying that it would have been at least 75% dearer in his home town.
Elise, from Switzerland and her husband agreed comparing their prices to those in the UK.

I can fully understand the argument here, after all my partner is Swiss. However, I think it a little out of context to be bringing Scandinavia and Switzerland into the fray as both are, and almost certainly always have been, way off the Richter Scale when it comes to prices compared to the rest of Europe ( even if Safeguard do consider Switzerland to be part of the EU ??!!)

As in life... "You get what you pay for"

I work in the food industry, I see the difference between the recipes for all the major supermarkets, so when your getting anything in a pub 2 meals for 4.99... How do you think they are making money at that?
But cheap is cheap as.. I hate eating in brewers Fayre etc but when you work away and live in hotel so many nights you go for quality not quantity, I also take no ****e when I do have to eat in these places, if it's below standard I tell them... Send it back! Offer to tell them how to operate their microwaves. :D
I prefer to go and pay a little extra and help and support local small business and local pubs, I had a two course Sunday lunch in a real pub with real people who actually do give a Shapooh about serving you with a quality serving tasting food, £8.95 a head ... And no it's not in the south it's in the North west. :tongue::tongue:

I prefer to go and pay a little extra and help and support local small business and local pubs, I had a two course Sunday lunch in a real pub with real people who actually do give a Shapooh about serving you with a quality serving tasting food, £8.95 a head ... And no it's not in the south it's in the North west. :tongue::tongue:

Yes, agreed !
Just what I stated, local place here has a fabulous reputation for great food. I tend to compare it to all others and as yet I find they cant be beaten for the price they charge.
As for prices in European countries, here in Eire the prices tend to be scandalous. Two whiskeys and two mixers in local pub at weekend was €15.00.... that is insane. I live quite close to the northern Ireland border and shop in the North (UK) all the time, cannot understand how the population down south afford to live !

I work in the food industry, I see the difference between the recipes for all the major supermarkets, so when your getting anything in a pub 2 meals for 4.99... How do you think they are making money at that?
But cheap is cheap as.. I hate eating in brewers Fayre etc but when you work away and live in hotel so many nights you go for quality not quantity, I also take no ****e when I do have to eat in these places, if it's below standard I tell them... Send it back! Offer to tell them how to operate their microwaves. :D

I have a local pub that used to do a homemade cottage pie for £1, it was just a small cottage pie with a little red cabbage and you could add veg or chips for extra but at least I knew it was made on the premises with real ingredients.

I have a local pub that used to do a homemade cottage pie for £1, it was just a small cottage pie with a little red cabbage and you could add veg or chips for extra but at least I knew it was made on the premises with real ingredients.

Things like this go a long way. OK they may not make money on the food, but they are getting bums on seats and people who come in to eat will also buy drinks. Sometimes you've got to spend a quid to make two.

Yes, agreed !
Just what I stated, local place here has a fabulous reputation for great food. I tend to compare it to all others and as yet I find they cant be beaten for the price they charge.
As for prices in European countries, here in Eire the prices tend to be scandalous. Two whiskeys and two mixers in local pub at weekend was €15.00.... that is insane. I live quite close to the northern Ireland border and shop in the North (UK) all the time, cannot understand how the population down south afford to live !

I gauge everything in Eire by the price of a pint of Guinness....in Dublin €10 in Thurles €7 in Galway €6.50 in my local £3.40 ****! but I will be over in my van in June to do a more 2 weeks precise survey! :D:tongue:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back