Pros and Cons of Fulltiming

Hi NZ,I've just started using Ecoal50 from B&Q,they do 3 X 10kg bags for £16,I use wood for quick heat in the evenings,then put a couple of small shovel fulls in before bed,turn the draw right down and it gives a nice slow heat until about lunchtime the next day. I'm really impressed with the stuff,the only downside is it produces quite a bit of ash but I feel it's worth it when I get up with just a t shirt on in the mornings. I'm just heading to Kent this week and I'll stock up on a load of willow logs that I've had stashed for nearly three years.
The log burner is now the dogs favouritist thing!

Hi ya Matey,
Looking good that does, any oth pics of it in place ?.
How big is the actual Firebox on your stove?.
How Hot does the actual Stove get When banked up ?.
My stove only has a fire box of 130mm by about 120mm internally & likes to burn at around the 120° or touching the 180°C mark when banked. The closest objects to the actual stove (The Seats) only just get ‘Hand Warm’ though as I have it in a ‘Heat Shield Cabinet’ with Fire Break.
6E17F0B7-DDB4-4D91-9273-019F4B10390D.jpg
2D2037CE-91A6-41F7-94BF-6B3DAECB8417.jpg
A2352289-0CB5-4085-B6AE-64CE057FCC8E.jpg
Can’t see it very clearly on pic, But the cabinet is actually open Toped & Open Fronted as you would expect,
The Base has a 60mm Air gap from bottom of Ash Draw down to the 1st Metal Heat shield base that it sits on & has Air holes in to promote cooling this then Protrudes 150mm forward of Stove face to act as Catcher. Then it has a 2nd 25mm Air Gap to 2nd Metal solid Grate that come even further forward of the 1st Base Heat Shield by another 50mm as a 2nd catcher (so 200mm from face of Stove). Then the whole lot sits on 25mm of Rockwool Firebreak to Floor.
Each side has a 20mm Air Gap From Stove Side Walls to the 25mm Rockwool Firebreak Then this is backed by the 1st Metal Heat Shied, Then it has a 2nd 20mm Air Gap to 2nd Metal Heat Shield, Then 80mm Air Gap to Seat.
The One piece Continuous Flu has 25mm Foil faced Rockwool Flu Insulation up its entire length of 9ft, The top 5ft has been Double insulated (50mm) right up into the Silicon Roof Coller exit cone.
BD9D6C65-E2A5-4B57-AB2E-1BED09F61461.jpg
Works well !.
I will try this Ecol50 stuff, Thanks.

BTW That ISNT Ash you can see in the pictures, it’s Fall out from some Insulation I was fitting to above the stove to cab area back in the Summer months

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ya Matey,
Looking good that does, any oth pics of it in place ?.
How big is the actual Firebox on your stove?.
How Hot does the actual Stove get When banked up ?.
My stove only has a fire box of 130mm by about 120mm internally & likes to burn at around the 120° or touching the 180°C mark when banked. The closest objects to the actual stove (The Seats) only just get ‘Hand Warm’ though as I have it in a ‘Heat Shield Cabinet’ with Fire Break.
View attachment 68533
View attachment 68534
View attachment 68535
Can’t see it very clearly on pic, But the cabinet is actually open Toped & Open Fronted as you would expect,
The Base has a 60mm Air gap from bottom of Ash Draw down to the 1st Metal Heat shield base that has Air holes in & Protrudes 150mm forward of Stove face to act as Catcher. Then it has a 2nd 25mm Air Gap to 2nd Metal solid Grate that come further forward of the front of the 1st Base Heat Shield by another 50mm as a 2nd catcher 200mm from face of Stove. Then the whole lot sits on 25mm of Rockwool Firebreak to Floor.
Each side has a 20mm Air Gap From Stove Side Walls to the 25mm Rockwool Firebreak Then this is backed by the 1st Metal Heat Shied, Then it has a 2nd 20mm Air Gap to 2nd Metal Heat Shield, Then 80mm Air Gap to Seat.
The One piece Continuous Flu has 25mm Foil faced Rockwool Flu Insulation up its entire length of 9ft, The top 5ft has been Double insulated (50mm) right up into the Silicon Roof Coller exit cone.
View attachment 68536
Works well !.
I will try this Ecol50 stuff, Thanks.

BTW That ISNT Ash you can see in the pictures, it’s Fall out from some Insulation I was fitting to above the stove to cab area back in the Summer months

Mines a household multi fuel,4.5 kw so has as much or as little output as I need,I didn't like the idea of a smaller one mainly because I don't want to run it hot all the time. Apart from initial lighting when I want quick heat I just have it idling the rest of the time,just feels a bit safer. Just had a quick measure, 200 deep,X 300 height and width,that's just the box.
Here's a pic just after I installed it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180111_115418.jpg
    IMG_20180111_115418.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Ref the so say super dooper Internal Window covers -
This is their 2nd Night trial with External Temperature of just above freezing -
92B3C216-1BBD-41D4-8E0D-CB37318B6B64.jpg
& internal temperature around the same as usual (25° when I hit the sac, & 17-19° when it’s morning wee time
C2AE9E07-9062-4C29-82B7-791D6579FD17.jpg
& after a couple of coffees I checked the window condensation &
A9EAD3C5-49A1-41C3-835C-1FE630E150CE.jpg

EVEN WORSE THAN YESTERDAY!.
So for my final test of Thease covers I’m going to Fit them tonight BUT leave the two Door windows slightly cracked open about 5mm to see if THAT makes any difference !.
If not then I’m going to BIN them & go back to using my cheap £6 Home made Silver Bubble wrap ones that resulted in just the slightest amount of condensation being formed on the windows !. They just don’t look as nice but hey,

Bind them !

That’s a complete waste of Around 250 assorted Donuts!

I just found them Terrible when used on The Nest, But make Great But expensive Crawl mats in a Trench I was digging for someone to make it easier on my Knees when Spading Around Pipes & Power cables !.
53A4FEF0-814A-4B21-9B3B-6A57F45788F0.jpg
A9B95C7B-AB68-455B-864A-ABF3CBBC4615.jpg
40E327D4-0C04-4474-A434-9CB9C1A5CED6.jpg
So Kneeling Pads they are then !
179424BC-B1B8-4CC8-B93E-D421E41A440B.jpg

Ok, Been using my old faithful £6 home made Bubble wrap blinds for the last few days & absolutely no condensation at all.
So I Really can’t work that one out !.
6ADE17B6-9801-4772-89C9-D7AB32CE43B4.jpg

FA126C85-430B-4C9A-8C1D-975029D7AFED.jpg

B5E8AD6C-82BF-4E76-850F-EEC66969115A.jpg

Soon be finished my Shuffling about for around a month or so as I’m working, so as I will be in one place for 35 days (Ish) I will fit my External screen covers that I also love, Give maximal privecy, Really makes a noticeable difference in bothe Heat loss & Noise reductions & of course NO condensation.
Looks pretty dame nice as well in my mind !.

Hey Ya Gang,
Well I’m back on a semi favourite temporary up park area provided in a wood for a bit as I’m working for around a month, So all Dumped, Filled, Umbilicals Plugged in For Power & Drainage (As last time I worked here it’s Part of the deal), External Winter Screen covers on (Hardly used, Really only when in one place for 3 nights or more in winter), My Multi Fuel Stove cleaned out & Resting & my little 500W Electric Heater at the ready, Raw Water Filters Cleaned & Stowed, Changed the Bedsheets, Loads of Washing to catch up at, I’ve Given The Nest a REALLY good Clean & Scrub up so it’s just me that needs a scrape now, The kettle is on & I’m just starting a Tesco delivery order

Dam it’s hard work & horrible knowing that I’m going to be ‘Locked in’ for around 35 days,,,(I haven’t told The Nest yet, but I think it knows). But needs must, Job has to be finished, Cider & Donut tokens has to be earned, & I’m going to treat The Nest to some Maintenance & New Breaks for Christmas. So still Smiling.

8283EF38-9D97-4807-AE11-FB540D0D6C8D.jpg

Hey Ya Gang,
Well I’m back on a semi favourite temporary up park area provided in a wood for a bit as I’m working for around a month, So all Dumped, Filled, Umbilicals Plugged in For Power & Drainage (As last time I worked here it’s Part of the deal), External Winter Screen covers on (Hardly used, Really only when in one place for 3 nights or more in winter), My Multi Fuel Stove cleaned out & Resting & my little 500W Electric Heater at the ready, Raw Water Filters Cleaned & Stowed, Changed the Bedsheets, Loads of Washing to catch up at, I’ve Given The Nest a REALLY good Clean & Scrub up so it’s just me that needs a scrape now, The kettle is on & I’m just starting a Tesco delivery order

Dam it’s hard work & horrible knowing that I’m going to be ‘Locked in’ for around 35 days,,,(I haven’t told The Nest yet, but I think it knows). But needs must, Job has to be finished, Cider & Donut tokens has to be earned, & I’m going to treat The Nest to some Maintenance & New Breaks for Christmas. So still Smiling.

View attachment 68778
I expect you will be glad to have some electric heating and some money in your pocket, it will help with the bills.

Hi ya Harrow,
Oh of course yes, Well maybe not so much the Electric Heating as it’s only 500w as apposed to my approximate 2kW Nesty Stove, But Yes I have to pay for my lifestyle choice somehow matey, as some might remember a while back maybe 18 months or more ago I was down to my last £30 or so,,,Things just work out don’t they!.
& here There’s AS MANY rabbits as I want, & even Duck if I can figure out the average High water mark on the pond !..

Hey Ya Gang,

View attachment 68778
all this thread makes very interesting reading zombie.....keep it up .......
washing.....you are not very far away from a launderette where you will get the nest parked right outside with no problem..........get all your heavy washing done and dried in one go.
although you will have probably got it all sorted/

how do you managed to plug into elec......when you are parked in a wood.......

did you say today is the day your cider gets replenished with the proper stuff from the west country.....and a reunion with your pals..........enjoy.......go steady on the donuts...lol:D

all this thread makes very interesting reading zombie.....keep it up .......
washing.....you are not very far away from a launderette where you will get the nest parked right outside with no problem..........get all your heavy washing done and dried in one go.
although you will have probably got it all sorted/

how do you managed to plug into elec......when you are parked in a wood.......

did you say today is the day your cider gets replenished with the proper stuff from the west country.....and a reunion with your pals..........enjoy.......go steady on the donuts...lol:D

Hey Trixie, Good to hear from you again, & am surprised people even read some of the Rambling I post lol lol.
As most might know when Traveling about I’m pretty self reliant for most of my needs, TBH I actually enjoy & am very use to the Little Discipline & Routine of this Lifestyle choice, doing a little Washing, Fire Kindling & Raw Water Collection, Foraging & sorting my Meat Treats. I have an on board Genny when needed, I stay on a site for my Pit stop ‘Fill n Dump’ about twice a month, But obviously when working I get a ‘Pre Agreed Package’ that includes the luxury of A 6 or 10a Electric supply, Fresh water, Grey, Black & Domestic Dump & Whatever else I can think of as well as a few Cider & Donut Tokens into the bargain for the duration of the Agreed works. Keeps the Tax man happy & drip feeds my NI & Pension pots. In this case 35 days starting tomorrow at 07:00.
I was meant to meet someone last night but they got Whay laid, I’m meeting a cpl for Sunday Lunch ‘Carvery’ today, & Got Mates From East Sussex coming up in a week or so, & Hopefully got one of my Friends of 30 years plus meeting me sometime before Newyear. & am also taking advantage of this park up to do some Maintenance on The Nest.

I always read and enjoy your posts NZ but don’t comment very often to keep the clutter down :)

You must have mentioned it and I must have forgotten it so will ask, have you fitted a black tank if you only need to dump twice a month? With the two of us and two cassettes we only get about 4 days

I always read and enjoy your posts NZ but don’t comment very often to keep the clutter down :)

You must have mentioned it and I must have forgotten it so will ask, have you fitted a black tank if you only need to dump twice a month? With the two of us and two cassettes we only get about 4 days

Hey Nab,
I think what you say about keeping the clutter down will actually inhance the waffle I Sometimes Put Out Matey Lol Lol,
I have got an old but large Thetford C2 (I think). I Really Only Use it late night if I have too & I DONT Fill it up with ‘Fresh Flush water’ I use to put a good glug of White Vinigar in it when clean & Empty, Then a Hand spryer bottle of Diluted White Viniger used 5 or 6 Sprays Around the bowl every time I use it, I NOW employ the same method but use Biological Washing Liquid as it’s a lovely Smell. I Wee Outside if the opportunity lends itself, But I am regular in my habits so during the day I’m often out & About in such places as a Cafe, Supermarket, Public Toilets, Petrol Garages, Coffee Houses,Trees, Bushes, Diches Or wherever. So my Cassette for a single person with no flush water EASILY lasts 10 or more days. If its full between my ‘Pit Stops’ then I’ve got a Shovel & I find that a carefully chosen spot & a 2ft square hole one blade length deep does the trick nicely !. But anyone who lives this life will always take any opportunity to Use a Toilet when available elsewhere.

Ahh, that solves that then and also maybe why you look for a longer stay place with facilities in the winter when the ground would need a Kango to break the soil :)

Hey Trixie, Good to hear from you again, & am surprised people even read some of the Rambling I post lol lol.
As most might know when Traveling about I’m pretty self reliant for most of my needs, TBH I actually enjoy & am very use to the Little Discipline & Routine of this Lifestyle choice, doing a little Washing, Fire Kindling & Raw Water Collection, Foraging & sorting my Meat Treats. I have an on board Genny when needed, I stay on a site for my Pit stop ‘Fill n Dump’ about twice a month, But obviously when working I get a ‘Pre Agreed Package’ that includes the luxury of A 6 or 10a Electric supply, Fresh water, Grey, Black & Domestic Dump & Whatever else I can think of as well as a few Cider & Donut Tokens into the bargain for the duration of the Agreed works. Keeps the Tax man happy & drip feeds my NI & Pension pots. In this case 35 days starting tomorrow at 07:00.
I was meant to meet someone last night but they got Whay laid, I’m meeting a cpl for Sunday Lunch ‘Carvery’ today, & Got Mates From East Sussex coming up in a week or so, & Hopefully got one of my Friends of 30 years plus meeting me sometime before Newyear. & am also taking advantage of this park up to do some Maintenance on The Nest.

What work do you do?

Maybe

Ahh, that solves that then and also maybe why you look for a longer stay place with facilities in the winter when the ground would need a Kango to break the soil :)

Another use of "Doggy Bags" ?

:lol-053::lol-053::dog::dog::dnd::dnd:

I just LOVE my lifestyle choice & This will go down as a DEFINITE Pro in my mind -
I went to an area about 8 / 10 weeks or so ago now & started to do what I do & go about my everyday Zombie Business, Actually Met & then went on to help out a cpl with a few little Jobs that they wanted doing for which I was rewarded in Copious amounts of Cider & Donut tokens & all was good, Well I’m actually in that same area again now (Doing another contract on a phased Development) & had a visit from them again today at my Park up to have a catch up chat & share a coffee, But they came Bearing a Gift -
FB570085-5DA2-4317-B3F4-6ACF916C2064.jpg
Now Wether this was a cleaver act of ‘Self Presuvation’ Or just a Genuine act of kindness I have to say it’s PERFECT for a Zombie
Got some more work too !

Yep life is good.

Hey Trixie, (Hope all is well you’re end & are keeping warm).
Yep, I actually haven’t been able to get any ‘FRESH MEAT’ lately, as I was moving about, Although I DID manage to spy Thease while out on a Shuffle ! -
3A6048AC-6B28-436D-B462-D2BADB8C713A.jpg
4F102AFC-7763-4742-AB58-1D12D3082547.jpg
Pan, Butter, Chilly Flakes & I’m STILL here,,,,Well kinda !

Better say at this point,
PLEASE NOTE, I’m already a Zombie so can maybe get away with eating stuff that might be Questionable, if YOU’RE going to forage PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you know what it is you’re Eating, as it can have serious consequences on the undead.

yer need more than a couple..o. mushrooms.....,,,,you have an excellent butchers near to hand......need good meat in you in winter time.......donuts wont supply you with energy.

aye im keeping waarm....hot water bottle up me jumper........cant go wrong....lol

im on a mission now,,,,,,,no central heating going on till new year........although temp is due to drop to 3 next week....so may have to give in.....lol

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back