Pros and cons of a SOG system

Loretta

Hi Guys
Does anyone have a SOG System? And what are the pros and cons compared to the chemical treatment?? I'm partiulary interest on the disposal of waste side of the thing as it was,
Does it make easier to dispose or not??:anyone:

Whether you have a SOG system or not the disposal is nearly exactly the same. As the SOG has no chemicals added then you can use any disposal point. Some chemicals upset septic tanks so care is needed in that respect. I have used one for years now with absolutely no problems although some will say "as they stand in the queue" to empty that they smell a bit more. Never had that problem and never seen a queue. You will also be warned that the odours can be detected at 100m which is just nonsense. No chemicals to palaver with so a really good investment.

Whether you have a SOG system or not the disposal is nearly exactly the same. As the SOG has no chemicals added then you can use any disposal point. Some chemicals upset septic tanks so care is needed in that respect. I have used one for years now with absolutely no problems although some will say "as they stand in the queue" to empty that they smell a bit more. Never had that problem and never seen a queue. You will also be warned that the odours can be detected at 100m which is just nonsense. No chemicals to palaver with so a really good investment.

That`s because of the smell :lol-049:

Don't know about SOG's, but very tempted to try and make a composting toilet. Apparently they work very well.

Sorry, some kind of link would have been helpful. They are silly money though, and it seems huge.

[video=youtube;_E2xOoNov9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2xOoNov9s&list=UUBo9TLJiZ5HI5CXFsCxOhmA[/video]

Sorry about my undoubted ignorance. I've tried very hard but can't get past s**t or g?????

Might be a more helpful vid.

[video=youtube;24LimUrb4LM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24LimUrb4LM[/video]

Sorry, some kind of link would have been helpful. They are silly money though, and it seems huge.

[video=youtube;_E2xOoNov9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2xOoNov9s&list=UUBo9TLJiZ5HI5CXFsCxOhmA[/video]

I recon you can make one of these Mark - or cut a flap in the floor like they have on trains?

Sorry not convinced

I never said I was convinced either, but I am willing to find out. Can soon make one to try. Then I'll go on a diet of 15 pints of Guinness a day, and curries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That should give it a good test. :eek:

Hi Guys
Does anyone have a SOG System? And what are the pros and cons compared to the chemical treatment?? I'm partiulary interest on the disposal of waste side of the thing as it was,
Does it make easier to dispose or not??:anyone:

It's exactly the same as emptying a cassette with chemicals in, and doesn't do any harm. However, with ours I find the smell can be quite awesome at times, but I've got used to it. However, if I empty in a public toilet, I do take a can of air freshner with me to sweeten things up a bit afterwards!! We didn't fit ours, it came with the MH. Not sure I would pay out for one if I didn't have one. Some people swear by bio washing tablets/liquid as an alternative to chemicals, and I heard recently that some use DISH washing tablets.

I never said I was convinced either, but I am willing to find out. Can soon make one to try. Then I'll go on a diet of 15 pints of Guinness a day, and curries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That should give it a good test. :eek:
Hummm Are you going to do a proper scientific test and report day by day??:goodluck:

Smelly

If your outside & close to one when its working it's not very pleasant as all the smell from the toilet cassette are pumped out thru the SOG.
I've been told this is because some people don't change the filter often enough

Don't know about SOG's, but very tempted to try and make a composting toilet. Apparently they work very well.

When on Skye last month visiting friends asked him when he had to have the septic tank or whatever they are called emptied and he said hopefully never ?????
Do they soak away into the ground ?????

my grandmother had a septic tank installed in the late 60's, she lived on her own, we rebuilt the house some 20 years ago and used the existing tank, have had a family of 4 there for 20 odd years.... i think the tank was sucked out a couple of times in the 70.s cos all the eggspurts said they must be done every year.

the tank is a twin chamber block built affair , theres a soakaway on the 2nd chamber , theory is that the liquid that gets as far as the soakaway is clean.

my father has a similar tank , its been sucked out maybe half a dozen times in the early years but not in the last 15 or so when hes been a sole occupier.

weve also got one of the fiberglass onion type on a mobile home, been there 20 odd years and never been emptied.

When on Skye last month visiting friends asked him when he had to have the septic tank or whatever they are called emptied and he said hopefully never ?????
Do they soak away into the ground ?????

Yes they do. There are three chambers. The waste drops into the bottom one where it rots. The liquid and some of the decaying waste flow into the middle chamber which allows more settling. The result is water that flows into the last chamber which fed out in a herring bone arrangement of pipes about 3ft under the surface. It had been installed by a previous owner and as far as I know it had never been emptied.

I used one for 10 years and it was never emptied. I put irregular amounts of toilet tank contents into it year round. It has had caustic treated and Chemical treated waste and Domestos put in it with little ill-effect. It did not have huge quantities of water put in however. I have known some where the decaying system was broken down by overuse or break down by chemicals of the process.

I have used a SOG since 2006 and think it is the best thing I have used. I have full timed on and off since 1975 and used chemical toilets of all descriptions. Yes SOG can smell when operating. SOG now also produce a roof vent kit instead of the door vent. I don't use campsites and empty when others are not doing so on CLs. I have also emptied into public toilets and agree that an air freshener it a great way of leaving the toilet fresher than when you entered.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back