problem water filler cap

master

Any suggestions for removing the water filler cap which seems stuck . Its never been an issue before . My daughter did it up but now cant open it. She has tried turning it with Molegrips , still no joy

There is a trick for this, but I'm not sure what it was! Hot water may be?

An Irish Screwdriver sometimes works

1599599314242.png

Any suggestions for removing the water filler cap which seems stuck . Its never been an issue before . My daughter did it up but now cant open it. She has tried turning it with Molegrips , still no joy

Wow molegrips sounds a bit serious as Val54 and st3v3 suggested try the hot water trick

if it has key lock ,try wd 40 down the lock barrel and work the key

Last edited:
I have had trouble with mine for a long time and I got some lock graphite put a tiny bit on the key locked and unlocked it a few times and it seems to have sorted it for now.

Ours is always difficult to get out, I leave the key in and flap open just to give it a bit of leverage and it comes out with a wiggle.

its not turning at all . We did wonder if she had cross threaded it
Is it the normal type as all I've ever seen have no threads to cross there just a bayonet type of catch is it already undone an just needs a pull off

Is it the normal type as all I've ever seen have no threads to cross there just a bayonet type of catch is it already undone an just needs a pull off
Didn't know they had bayonet fittings mine have always had screw on and lock

Try turning the opposite direction ie tightening but carefully might help to break seal then undo as normal

Fyi if unaware. Silicone WD40 is more suitable to maintain any lock, hinge etc that is open to the elements than the bog standard WD40.

Is it possible that it is being held firm by a drop in pressure (vacuum), perhaps a blocked breather? If so you would need to find a way of equalising the pressure. It doesn’t sound like the lock is the problem because the cap just spins when locked.

Iff you do finally get it off. I put a small drop of olive oil in the lock and rub some on the seal. Olive oil won't poison you if some gets in the water tank.

Iff you do finally get it off. I put a small drop of olive oil in the lock and rub some on the seal. Olive oil won't poison you if some gets in the water tank.
I was told never to put oil in locks on the rubber seals is ok but in the lock I would question that. 😉

I was told never to put oil in locks on the rubber seals is ok but in the lock I would question that. 😉
Quite right Annie, any thin machine or olive oil will be a short term fix but unless you take it apart afterwards and thoroughly clean it, then the residual oil just acts as a magnet for any dust and crud and you end up with more problems, graphite dust is best, some on the key and blow some into the lock with the "puffer" dispenser it normally comes in.

Quite right Annie, any thin machine or olive oil will be a short term fix but unless you take it apart afterwards and thoroughly clean it, then the residual oil just acts as a magnet for any dust and crud and you end up with more problems, graphite dust is best, some on the key and blow some into the lock with the "puffer" dispenser it normally comes in.
Interesting. I didnt know about graphite dust and as I maintain a lot of external locks that could be useful. Can you comment on whether the time period between applications would be longer or shorter than a Silicon based lube?

Same stuff they make pencils from? Good point about dirt accumulating.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back