power usage of Compressor vs Absortion fridge

Had both and prefer the absorption fridge. A 65 litre compressor fridge in an Autotrail 610 sport was awful. It was a drawer type which meant you had to store things on top of each other and rootle around when you wanted something and we were lucky if we got 2 days off grid out of it even in the summer with 2 x 110 amp batteries. IMO compressors wouldn’t be any good in a motorhome as they’re too big to run off 12v.

Had both and prefer the absorption fridge. A 65 litre compressor fridge in an Autotrail 610 sport was awful. It was a drawer type which meant you had to store things on top of each other and rootle around when you wanted something and we were lucky if we got 2 days off grid out of it even in the summer with 2 x 110 amp batteries. IMO compressors wouldn’t be any good in a motorhome as they’re too big to run off 12v.
12v or mains via a inverter 12v to 230v

Perfect Overlanding Fridge on a BUDGET??

This is on my 'must have' list...AKA 'Polarbox' https://www.raptor4x4.co.uk/polarbox-42l-ac-dc-compressor-fridge-12v-24v-grey-black-carry-bag.html

polarbox 42l.jpg

I use a 8L compressor coolbox similar to the above powered via a 100W solar panel which was also used for lights, water pump, phone charging etc. It draws about 12-18Ah per 24 hours hours in an ambient temperature of about 16°C running at 2°C and will cool from room temperature to 2°C in less than 30 minutes. This compares to running overnight for a good 8 hours for my gas absorption fridge.

No comparison on performance for me but I do wake whenever it kicks in which is usually 2-3 times per night at about 8-12°C ambient temperature.

We use our van in winter and there is very little solar particularly from December to February. I have added a second 120w panel and a second 95ah battery.
Do you reckon that a compressor fridge would be an option then, this is my main concern. Cheers.
absorption fridge uses over 400kWh of energy per year (33 kWh per month, so costs approx £9 per month to run on LPG (7kg butane bottle provides 97 kWh and cost £27 so costs 28p per kwh; 33x 0.28); or running it on EHU also costs same £9 per month since electricity costs 28p per kwh. I have a 30 litre Kitgarn compressor fridge in boot of my car which runs continuously for free on plug n play set-up of Jackery 500 & portable 100w SolarSaga as long as I move panel to face the sun a few times a day. So convenient & free energy saving me £9 per month, right? Well yes & no. The Jackery set-up cost over £600 so will take 6 years to pay for itself and it's probably only got a lifespan of 6 years.

absorption fridge uses over 400kWh of energy per year (33 kWh per month, so costs approx £9 per month to run on LPG (7kg butane bottle provides 97 kWh and cost £27 so costs 28p per kwh; 33x 0.28); or running it on EHU also costs same £9 per month since electricity costs 28p per kwh. I have a 30 litre Kitgarn compressor fridge in boot of my car which runs continuously for free on plug n play set-up of Jackery 500 & portable 100w SolarSaga as long as I move panel to face the sun a few times a day. So convenient & free energy saving me £9 per month, right? Well yes & no. The Jackery set-up cost over £600 so will take 6 years to pay for itself and it's probably only got a lifespan of 6 years.
If want to save money, maybe best bet is to fork out £210 on Safefill gas bottle instead of buying expensive Calor gas bottles, and fill it up with autogas (propane) at Morrison's forecourt petrol stations. That way, running costs of absorption fridge will only cost £4.50 per month (not £9 month on Calor). If do that, Safefill bottle will save you about £50 per year and take 4 years to pay for itself if powering just a fridge. And actually switching to Safefill bottle instead of Calor gas bottle will pay for itself in a lot less time than 4 years if you are currently also using Calor bottles for gas heating and/or hot water as well as your fridge in your caravan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back