power usage of Compressor vs Absortion fridge

Fantastic everyone, thanks v. much. I was aware we may need to add another leisure battery, and the wiring needs sorting anyway, so was planning to go for 8mm cable. Lots more to think about re. a solar panel, as know nothing about them yet, but sounds as though it may be essential. Various discussion about inverters - presumably this is so you can use a domestic fridge to reduce the cost, and if so are there any downsides?

I have two compressor fridges and a freezer in my home, and I can hear them kicking in when the tv is off. What it would be like in a 6m van I dread to think. But possibly fridges designed for campers may be quieter I don’t know.
Also we were out in our last van two winters ago, and we are snowed in for three days, unable to move.

Wildebus has done a lot of monitoring on this subject. There was little difference lower wise between 12v compressor and domestic fridge with inverter.
Much less cost buying fridge and inverter than compressor fridge though. If:when my compressor fridge needs replacing I will look at domestic

I would sceptical about about solar keeping up in winter ,also you may need a battery to battery charger as 2 to 3 hour runs would not fully charge leisure battery ,some members get buy with 400 w solar and large battery banks .also consider a battery monitor as voltmeter readings can be very misleading. If you go down the compressor route be prepared to upgrade amps for winter , their is a good YouTube video by sterling power comparing fridge types,

Last edited:
I have two compressor fridges and a freezer in my home, and I can hear them kicking in when the tv is off. What it would be like in a 6m van I dread to think. But possibly fridges designed for campers may be quieter I don’t know.
Also we were out in our last van two winters ago, and we are snowed in for three days, unable to move.
I don’t notice noise on mine at all but am probably more deaf lol
I full time all year and as such not moving for periods, hence genny needed.

Ref Noise, I think it may be down to different models and maybe different compressors?

I had a Waeco CRX-50 in my T5 and I didn't so much hear that coming on in the early morning but FEEL it as the judder the compressor made transmitted through the cabinet and onto the cupboards that made up the bed base when starting up. Once running, no noise.
The current 240V Fridge in my LT I really cannot tell when it is on or not or when it starts up either. I actually open the door if I want to know to see if the light is on (Compressor running) or the light just flashes every few seconds (compressor off).
It is that quiet (and yes, quieter then the Fridge/Freezer in the kitchen in the house).

Fantastic everyone, thanks v. much. I was aware we may need to add another leisure battery, and the wiring needs sorting anyway, so was planning to go for 8mm cable. Lots more to think about re. a solar panel, as know nothing about them yet, but sounds as though it may be essential. Various discussion about inverters - presumably this is so you can use a domestic fridge to reduce the cost, and if so are there any downsides?
A basic 100W Solar Panel in the Summer will easily in one day put back in a battery what a Compressor Fridge takes out over 24 hours
A basic 100W Solar Panel in the Winter is primarily an ornament.

Domestic Fridge in a campervan? you need to add a door lock usually; you need to tape down shelves and maybe use baskets to keep the produce from shifting around (they are not expected to go round corners when in a kitchen); They are also not designed to go in a moving vehicle so you take your own risk on that with the moving, bumping and shifting (I've had no issues with my own one).
You need to get a decent sized inverter (far bigger than the fridge needs when running) in order to cope with the in-rush current.
This is my own take on the subject - https://www.wildebus.com/blog/products/selecting-the-right-inverter-for-an-ac-fridge/

Overall, an AC Fridge + Inverter is still a fair bit cheaper than a 12V DC Fridge

Ref Noise, I think it may be down to different models and maybe different compressors?

I had a Waeco CRX-50 in my T5 and I didn't so much hear that coming on in the early morning but FEEL it as the judder the compressor made transmitted through the cabinet and onto the cupboards that made up the bed base when starting up. Once running, no noise.
The current 240V Fridge in my LT I really cannot tell when it is on or not or when it starts up either. I actually open the door if I want to know to see if the light is on (Compressor running) or the light just flashes every few seconds (compressor off).
It is that quiet (and yes, quieter then the Fridge/Freezer in the kitchen in the house).

Likely down to the mountings the compressor is mounted on....

Portable fridges will be mounted to account for movement and prevent strain on the pipes...

Domestic units will be still mounted on rubbers or springs but won't take into account being used in a mobile environment so possibly transmit more noise....

I've got industrial fridge compressors that will shake themselves apart IF a flexible mount degrades.... Mind they are the size of a car engine

That's a 12" bahco adjustable leaning on it

FB_IMG_1595520726436.jpg

I've used both and wouldn't go back to absorption. I never use mains and the myths about being noisy are unfounded with modern fridges correctly installed.
Just look through the forum threads to see which type of fridge gives most problems.

I can’t see how in a small van with limited battery space and limited solar it’s possible to run a compressor fridge when stood for several days off grid in winter, unless you have space and payload to carry a generator or invest in other very expensive means of generating electricity. With a large van with lots of battery space and room for large panels or perhaps carrying a generator it would maybe work.

I can’t see how in a small van with limited battery space and limited solar it’s possible to run a compressor fridge when stood for several days off grid in winter, unless you have space and payload to carry a generator or invest in other very expensive means of generating electricity. With a large van with lots of battery space and room for large panels or perhaps carrying a generator it would maybe work.

Depends how the van is designed. My Renault Master has 330w solar and 375ah trojans and I don't own a genny. The only gas I use is the 2 burner hob, so a single 6kg bottle lasts us months.

I have a doblo xl self conversion. It has a 50 litre compressor fridge, expanded to about 70 litres, by me. 160 watt solar, 80 amp hour agm (so relatively deep discharge battery) we have no problem keeping the battery charged. But we wild camp and run in new places most days so we move on nearly every day. With 30 amp recharge rate it only takes half an hour to be mostly recharged. In winter we mostly go south anyway, so we could sit for days off grid if we wanted to. If we decided to spend January in Assynt we could probably switch the fridge off! If we did not we probably would have to drive half an hour most days, but we would have that habit anyway.
Our fridge uses about an amp but only when it is on. We mostly switch off at night on a time clock, unless it is very hot. So it does not use many amp hours per day.
We do have an underslung lpg tank, for cooking and a propex heater, but would never entertain trying to have an absorbtion fridge, they only keep cool in cool places and do not work at an angle. I must admit they are better than peltier effect cool boxes. 🙄

As has been said, it depends on your set up and how you use your van. Out and about I move most days, but 5 days at a meet in mid winter would be impossible for me with a compressor fridge. 110ah battery, 100w solar.

As has been said, it depends on your set up and how you use your van. Out and about I move most days, but 5 days at a meet in mid winter would be impossible for me with a compressor fridge. 110ah battery, 100w solar.

As wildebus said a solar panel is an ornament in winter.
It seems to me that this is were compressor loses out to absorption.
I just don’t see how something that is using precious power in winter,
beats a fridge that uses virtually no electric power.
We were out last winter with one 95ah battery and a 120w solar.
We finished up having to switch of the tv, and had to light candles.
And that was with an absorption fridge.
Now we have two 95ah batteries and two 120w solar panels.

I would think you would do well to get 3 days in winter. Depending where your battery is stored and make and,type you could be losing up to 20% of capacity in the depths of winter in temperature alone.

Last edited:
absorbion fridge on ebay £300 . 50ltr No lpg 240v, 12v
Compressor at £550. 50 ltr. 240v, 12v.

About 240v fridges in van!!!!
Steve 3 and wyde bus mentioned taking, 240v fridges in van tests done and works BUT they should be sat still ie parked and then turn on. ive not found tests done on this problem,
like, when delivered at home. As they could be turned upside down or knocked over in Mr delivery mans van .
Sounds like they turn their 240v fridges off when driving. As ive done with gas fridges in van.
So they do have issues.
Compressor fridge £800. Ouch, but its on all the time, fit and forget. 50 ltr small but can stand 6 pints cartoons of milk up in it.

I would think you would do well to get 3 days in winter. Depending where your battery is stored and make and,type you could be losing up to 20% of capacity in the depths of winter in temperature alone.

I’ve done 5 days, but did use a little golf cart battery to help with charging i pads and phones.

absorbion fridge on ebay £300 . 50ltr No lpg 240v, 12v
Compressor at £550. 50 ltr. 240v, 12v.

About 240v fridges in van!!!!
Steve 3 and wyde bus mentioned taking, 240v fridges in van tests done and works BUT they should be sat still ie parked and then turn on. ive not found tests done on this problem,
like, when delivered at home. As they could be turned upside down or knocked over in Mr delivery mans van .
Sounds like they turn their 240v fridges off when driving. As ive done with gas fridges in van.
So they do have issues.
Compressor fridge £800. Ouch, but its on all the time, fit and forget. 50 ltr small but can stand 6 pints cartoons of milk up in it.

Yes IF they've been laid on their side it's important to upright them for a while (allows oil from the compressor to return after migrating into the condenser/evaporator)

No issues with moving fridges around level.

I wouldn't ever consider anything but a compressor fridge now I have one (I have a 60 litre Vitrifrigo).

It outperforms every other fridge I have had to the extent that I have to keep an eye on the setting so it doesn't freeze things. I have run it for 3-4 days with no solar before now and I have been told this is not possible. I can assure you it is!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back