Portsmouth clean air zone

On the 2nd map it looks like it borders the A288 but if you know the area I'll take your word on it. Thanks
The second map shows exactly the same zone as the first map. Have a look at the detailed maps using a decent-sized screen and you will see that the eastern side of the zone basically follows the A2047 and the southern edge mainly follows the A2030.

Mines chargeable. Its a 33 year old Talbot express 2.0L petrol with LPG conversion. The LPG conversion counts for nowt now days incredibly.

I had to register my van with Bradford CAZ but I had to let them know how often I would use it in the zone :rolleyes:

As mentioned elsewhere I can go anywhere I like in Scotland as I have a BB so I'm exempt in any vehicle but the van is registered too for a limited period that can be renewed, why can't the rest of the UK do the same.

It's not for 36 months as it's dependent on my BB expiry date.
1729496419595.png

Bradford is the very worst CAZ in the UK, largest and most expensive.

Another good reason not to go to Bradford.
The worst thing about the Bradford CAZ IMO is that it breaks a fundamental promise that was made when these unnecessary measures were first implemented: that the outermost ring road would be outside the zone. Bradford's CAZ boundary is the outer edge of the ring road, so the ring road is inside the CAZ and it's thus impossible for me to transit the Bradford area without incurring a £50 charge :(

However, Bradford is not the largest and most expensive, that dubious honour goes to the London LEZ AFAICT as it would cost me £300/day to stray inside the M25 -- but at least the M25 itself is outside the zone!

Glasgow implemented its LEZ over a year ago and in the first year they handed out 38,000 charges making just under one million pounds. Now I am not totally opposed to these charges, and in the case of some cities I would even support them. Try driving throughout Edinburgh ( not just its city centre) and you will see why levels of harmful toxins emitted from engines had to be lowered.
But the problem I have with Glasgow is it has five motorways which dissect the city, and there are no restrictions on any of these. The vast majority of vehicles that pollute Glasgow don’t drive through the city centre roads, they drive on the motorways, particularly the M8. But Glasgow also has the M74, M77, M80, and the M73.

It seems to me that even if you made the whole of Glasgow city centre one massive pedestrian only zone, it would make little difference.

But get used to it, soon driving any type of ICE vehicle in any town or city will be a thing of the past. Thankfully I won’t be here to witness it.

Glasgow implemented its LEZ over a year ago and in the first year they handed out 38,000 charges making just under one million pounds. Now I am not totally opposed to these charges, and in the case of some cities I would even support them. Try driving throughout Edinburgh ( not just its city centre) and you will see why levels of harmful toxins emitted from engines had to be lowered.
But the problem I have with Glasgow is it has five motorways which dissect the city, and there are no restrictions on any of these. The vast majority of vehicles that pollute Glasgow don’t drive through the city centre roads, they drive on the motorways, particularly the M8. But Glasgow also has the M74, M77, M80, and the M73.

It seems to me that even if you made the whole of Glasgow city centre one massive pedestrian only zone, it would make little difference.

But get used to it, soon driving any type of ICE vehicle in any town or city will be a thing of the past. Thankfully I won’t be here to witness it.
The thing is that air quality throughout UK (including Scotland) is consistently good, as shown both by the Air Quality England and Scottish Air Quality websites, which suggests that these CAZ abominations are merely political and/or cash-grabbing exercises.
That said, I completely agree with your final sentence!

As far as personal/private transport goes, driving anything in cities will mostly be a thing of the past. You'll be on public transport or riding.

When Liz goes on a cruise, I have to drop her off at Bradford interchange for the coach to Southhampton it's getting harder to get anywhere near it these days it's all slowly going pedestrian, god knows how the small businesses are doing it looked to be all cafes and bars last time I went.

The thing is that air quality throughout UK (including Scotland) is consistently good, as shown both by the Air Quality England and Scottish Air Quality websites, which suggests that these CAZ abominations are merely political and/or cash-grabbing exercises.
That said, I completely agree with your final sentence!
Or you could argue that this is to some extent due to LEZ Geoff.

Last edited:
In Scotland it's a penalty, increasing each intrusion to the zone
Surely this is how it should be if they are really concerned about the air quality? Because no matter how much they charge you it doesn't make your vehicle's emissions any cleaner 🤔

Regards,
Del

Or you could argue that this is to some extent due to LEZ Geoff.
You could, but you'd be wrong as (with the exception of Central London -- and then only because that zone predates the available data) the historic data shows consistently low pollution in all the current clean air zones prior to the zones becoming active...

The irony is, the ferries chuck out more crape then any vehicles. Went on the Pont Aven twice this year. Just before leaving port, it looks as though its still running on nutty slack?:eek:

Back