Poor Whitby a ghost town

You can taste the envy and smell the ignorance in these posts.
This is why we cannot use carparks that we have paid for.
Nothing to do with anecdotal evidence of misdemeanours, and everything to do with sheer ignorance and envy of the very worse kind.
Note you will see the word TRAVELLERS therein lies another issue, based on sheer ignorance towards us.

Praetor22 HRS AGO
An even better way to boost trade is for these wealthy motor homers to stay in hotels or B and Bs instead of clogging up roads with their oversized polluting vehicles and how does the council control the other undesirable type of travellers if they let them park overnight in car parks. There are alternatives namely the private parks but of course they are not as conveniently located for the night time attractions which is what this is really all about

the harbinger of doom15 HRS AGO
The ten bob millionaires ARE NOT WELCOME . tough init

You missed this one.

Praetor10 HRS AGO
Reply to Praetor - view message
Yet to see an electric one. They are mostly large diesel engines with low mpg so doubly polluting more like a bus without the saving grace of carrying lots of passengers. They should certainly be taxed far more heavily like a commercial vehicle and along with caravans only allowed to move at night so as not to impede other traffic and not be parked in residential areas.

Envy and just bitterness mixed in with the the attitude (by many not all) that someone is getting something for free that you cant have I expect with a little bit of NIMBYism thrown in for good measure. :(

This only seems to happen here in the UK. We are either rich freeloaders who want a free holiday or one step removed from troublesome Travellers to some (many probably).

Probably why motorhoming has been so successfully catered for in France. Motorhomes have respect there, its something to be admired and aspired to own and they realise the added value they can bring. The French are not as territorial either. They will build an Aire right in the middle of town, around houses etc and nobody bats and eyelid.

You missed this one.

Praetor10 HRS AGO
Yet to see an electric one. They are mostly large diesel engines with low mpg so doubly polluting more like a bus without the saving grace of carrying lots of passengers. They should certainly be taxed far more heavily like a commercial vehicle and along with caravans only allowed to move at night so as not to impede other traffic and not be parked in residential areas.

Envy and just bitterness mixed in with the the attitude (by many not all) that someone is getting something for free that you cant have I expect with a little bit of NIMBYism thrown in for good measure. :(

This only seems to happen here in the UK. We are either rich freeloaders who want a free holiday or one step removed from troublesome Travellers to some (many probably).

Probably why motorhoming has been so successfully catered for in France. Motorhomes have respect there, its something to be admired and aspired to own and they realise the added value they can bring. The French are not as territorial either. They will build an Aire right in the middle of town, around houses etc and nobody bats and eyelid.
And we are respected in other countries Barry, but if the French motorhome owners were treated the way we are, do you reckon they would sit back and accept it. I very much doubt it, what’s going on in this country is nothing short of malice and envy.
I mean read these posts, and the posts from Lochore. It beggars belief, not only that these comments are made, but the tolerance we show when they are made.

And we are respected in other countries Barry, but if the French motorhome owners were treated the way we are, do you reckon they would sit back and accept it. I very much doubt it, what’s going on in this country is nothing short of malice and envy.
I mean read these posts, and the posts from Lochore. It beggars belief, not only that these comments are made, but the tolerance we show when they are made.

But the French have always had much more freedom to roam than we have. We just love passing legislation here. A Frenchmans attitude will be that its his right to park where he likes pretty much unless its expressly banned whereas here we have been hounded so much and restricted so much we just assume we cant park anywhere unless told we can do so and we should be extremely grateful for that. Unless however we can change the publics perception we are always going to be met with comments like those which inevitably are reflected in the attitudes of those who make the rules. Those commenters are voters after all.

Part of me wants to say Feck em! Just park where you want and ignore the NIMBYs but part of me thinks Feck em, I Cant wait to get back to mainland Europe.

But the French have always had much more freedom to roam than we have. We just love passing legislation here. A Frenchmans attitude will be that its his right to park where he likes pretty much unless its expressly banned whereas here we have been hounded so much and restricted so much we just assume we cant park anywhere unless told we can do so and we should be extremely grateful for that. Unless however we can change the publics perception we are always going to be met with comments like those which inevitably are reflected in the attitudes of those who make the rules. Those commenters are voters after all.

Part of me wants to say Feck em! Just park where you want and ignore the NIMBYs but part of me thinks Feck em, I Cant wait to get back to mainland Europe.
Barry we had just spent a week wild camping (or whatever you wish to call it) on Arran. A great week in the summer, ok it was busier than normal due to what's been going on, but none the less a great week. We wanted to take a look at the new facilities at Auchrannie so we wandered in.
Well we met this guy with a brand new Burstner motorhome, he was new to the game. Well he starts to tell us that the locals don't like wild camping thats why he was there. I told him we have just had a great week wild camping in much nicer locations than this. Explained that "the locals"apart from a few have always welcomed us here, and even provide us with free chemical waste points and freshwater. (He knew nothing about this) I showed him photos of seals and the wonderful locations. But I reckon I was wasting my time. And thats so sad that he thinks the way he does. He will miss so much only going to campsites.

You missed this one.

Praetor10 HRS AGO

Sorry Barry I did not miss it, I just felt sick reading it and did not post it. I was going to reply, but decided I would be wasting my time:(

Just been to Whitby fishing, wheather got so bad we had to abort. My mate wanted some Kippers for tea, so we stopped at Fortunes on the way back to the car.
The bloke in the shop looked like he'd just been smacked in the face with a wet Herring. He could hardly be ar$ed to string two words together when serving us, let alone a smile for two old silly b*ggers who looked like half drowned rats.
He was so miserable even my mate commented, and he's almost one of them.:eek:

Sorry Barry I did not miss it, I just felt sick reading it and did not post it. I was going to reply, but decided I would be wasting my time:(
I doubt any come from Whitby residents as when you read through other comments some of the posters have left they are of the sort that feel the need to comment and leave either poison or racist comments on any subject.

But now we know who is actually dumping £$%^. Literally.

I doubt any come from Whitby residents as when you read through other comments some of the posters have left they are of the sort that feel the need to comment and leave either poison or racist comments on any subject.

But now we know who is actually dumping £$%^. Literally.

I am not in anyway trying to excuse what happened here.
But it might just serve to underline how poorly drivers are treated.
I have heard of them being refused access to toilets when making deliveries.

And yet ...

In an over four year period from 1st July 2014 to 30th August 2018 there was only one complaint listed in council records.

It seems we're more concerned about us than the public (in Whitby) is. Your points are valid but not seemingly a matter of concern to Whitby residents.
Unfortunately, these so called problems, become highlighted in the local press, then some locals think its OK to start a vendetta against us. Never had a problem in Whitby until the press took it upon themselves to print untruths, then had horns blaring hammering on the van side and eggs being thrown.

I have to admit that I have discretely emptied my grey water, but then I know two CLS who ask you to do so in their hedge. But as you say to some it looks bad, hence why I would only do so when no one’s about, where it’s appropriate, and never on a tarred surface.
As an example.
We often arrive home with a part full grey tank and cassette, I drive up our cart track or onto field to empty the tank, and empty the cassette in our outside toilet. one time I was dumping the tank and FiL thought I was emptying the toilet. :rolleyes:

I had to take SiL to task for emptying his grey water on the side of the road on the north Norfolk coast at October half term. He's had his camper for over 2y and couldn't see a problem. When I told him that people think it is urine, his only response was "they're welcome to inspect".

I guess that he will keep on doing it! :(

Gordon

Just watched BBC look north after the national news and they had an article stating how Whitby town and local businesses are struggling with lack of visitors and Wellcome to Whitby an independent organisation are trying to come up with initiatives to generate business and visitors.
I emailed them regarding how motorhomes are virtually banned and they quickly replied stating he understood my frustration and to direct my thoughts to Scarborough borough or Whitby town council.
I will do as he has suggested, I know many members have not, that it will do any good im sad to say.

Last edited:
Let’s not forget here that what’s going on in Whitby is no more than a microcosm of what’s going on all over the U.K. Whitby is no different from many areas whos attitudes towards us is anything but subtle, or justified in any way.
I hope that the council in Whitby, wise up and clean up their act instead of making up falsehoods with regards to the level of complaints made against us.
The fact is the vast majority of local residents don’t hate us, some of them are us. Whitby has a population of 13,049 and as Tom pointed out they had two complaints about us. But even if they had 100 complaints that would mean that 12,949 would have made no complaint. Hardly grounds for banning us.

Last edited:
A post on OAL t'other day.
An enjoyable 70th birthday treat, ended up a nightmare.
I'd taken a friend, who has mobility and health issues to Whitby for a meal and to buy a gift, using my motorhome for transport. We parked legally in an unrestricted area for a couple of hours. We set off for Teesside at 4.30, it was already dark. On the A171 Moor Road I suddenly became aware of something flapping under my windscreen wiper blade. It was impossible to safely stop the vehicle and retrieve, what looked like a yellow parking fine. It wasn't till we made a detour into Guisborough High Street, we discovered a Fake Penalty Charge Notice and intimidating note. The fear of it blowing off the vehicle, along with it distracting us and wondering what crime I'd committed, caused both of us a great deal of stress. I've previously suffered 2 heart attacks. My friend suffers from Atrial Fibrillation and has previously suffered a Stroke. As you can imagine, the afternoon birthday treat was ruined because of it. Neither of us could sleep that night, it could have caused us to have an accident, or take ill. I've reported the matter to North Yorkshire County Council. I hope no-one else is put through the stress and upset that we've endured.

Drove off without seeing a parking ticket on the windscreen (fake or otherwise) ?
Day was ruined , couldn't sleep that night !

Drove off without seeing a parking ticket on the windscreen (fake or otherwise) ?
Day was ruined , couldn't sleep that night !
IMO, it's reasonably possible for the driver not to initially notice that 'parking ticket'. On my moho, the dash obscures the bottom few inches of the windscreen and the wipers park below the top of the bonnet and are so hidden. Also, both wipers park on the passenger side. Thus, I suspect that a small flyer placed under either windscreen wiper might not be easy to spot in the dark. That said, it wouldn't stop me getting a night's sleep.

It would be good if an image of that 'parking ticket' were available and traceable back to the morons who placed it. FWIW, this might come under the umbrella of "interfering with a vehicle's safety equipment", which is illegal in Australia but, apparently, not in the UK.

It would be good if an image of that 'parking ticket' were available and traceable back to the morons who placed it. FWIW, this might come under the umbrella of "interfering with a vehicle's safety equipment", which is illegal in Australia but, apparently, not in the UK.

My dashcam has a motion sensor so will start recording if anybody approaches the front of the van.

If I was issued with a fake, I wouldn't hesitate to report it and splash it all over the internet.

I once drove off with an advertising sheet on my windscreen but low down on passenger side. I never noticed it until I was on the M8 heading for Glasgow. It was a distraction and don’t think this should be allowed. But this only serves to show how some think of us, and when people are spoon fed rubbish in their newspapers and elsewhere in the media, who can blame them. If I was not part of our fraternity, I may well think likewise.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back