Poor Whitby a ghost town

I think there are too many 'conspiracy theory' members on here. 😄

Quite often a situation arises and gets compounded by sheer incompetence, especially with Councils. Whitby is nothing, you should live in Gateshead to see what mayhem a Council can do due to sheer incompetence.

They created a cycle lane by changing a busy short stretch of dual carriage way to single lane. This caused a choke point and traffic took a different route just before the changed road. This made a reasonably busy roundabout another choke point. After that choke point, traffic is at a crawl due to the ridiculous traffic light system (deliberately done to make drivers fed up and use a Bus over 10 years ago). Now gridlock is normal for most of the day.

What makes it worse, the idiot who is the Leader of Gateshead Council is also the head of a North East Traffic Committee responsible for road and traffic planning for a much bigger area including Newcastle plus North and South Tyneside.

You could not make it up. :(

Found this from 2018 when the restrictions came into place.
It's full of the usual "Local people"anecdotal claims.
But the section dealing with boat owners who also have motorhomes, is priceless.

whitby-introduces-new-rules-campervans-14923275

This was the time Scarborough claimed there were around a thousand complaints about motorhomes in Whitby. The FoI officer later said that in a three of four year period up to 2018, I'd misunderstood her. There were actually around a thousand complaints covering all matters. There were actually only three complaints about motorhomes. She kindly sent me copies of the three. One was outside the time limit and the other two seemed to be from the same person. So, I think, only one complaint. But, of course, when the council said around a thousand it didn't expect that anyone would ask to see them. Her email below and the file of complaints she sent me attached.

Petra Jackson FoI.jpg

Attachments

• motorhomes Whitby Complaints.pdf
    26.9 KB · Views: 154
The thing is in the 1st complaint I can see where he or she is coming from for most points as a user of the fylde coast stop overs I see this behavior regularly.Along with waste water draining all over the carpark. And yes to us its only a bit of water but to others it is sewage and who wants to walk through puddles of it to get in there cars.I am not saying anyone on here does this as I would hope we are all responsible. Things have got a lot worse with covid and everyone doing staycations there are lots more people getting vans and building vans without facilities. I was up at fleetwood in summer a panel van parked next to me while we where out when we got back tables and chairs all out blocking the bay next to us we had to ask them to move to get in our van. We could hear them talking to lots of other people how it was the best thing they had done build a van to get away in. The next morning they left early slinging all there crap and i mean crap in the hedge you could see the toilet paper and poo:mad: I never got the reg of the van otherwise I would have reported them . So when the general public see things like this they tar us with the same brush.

But it is not just people with vans I was once in scarborough near the fish warehouse on the little pier it was maybe 15yrs ago. And a car parked next to us not a young couple as they got off the driver chucked all his chips and crap on the carpark outside our door. As he drove off I went mental at him luckily other members of the public witnessed him doing this and also my young lad at the time clear it all up and bin it.

Mike

The thing is in the 1st complaint I can see where he or she is coming from for most points as a user of the fylde coast stop overs I see this behavior regularly.Along with waste water draining all over the carpark. And yes to us its only a bit of water but to others it is sewage and who wants to walk through puddles of it to get in there cars.I am not saying anyone on here does this as I would hope we are all responsible. Things have got a lot worse with covid and everyone doing staycations there are lots more people getting vans and building vans without facilities. I was up at fleetwood in summer a panel van parked next to me while we where out when we got back tables and chairs all out blocking the bay next to us we had to ask them to move to get in our van. We could hear them talking to lots of other people how it was the best thing they had done build a van to get away in. The next morning they left early slinging all there crap and i mean crap in the hedge you could see the toilet paper and poo:mad: I never got the reg of the van otherwise I would have reported them . So when the general public see things like this they tar us with the same brush.

But it is not just people with vans I was once in scarborough near the fish warehouse on the little pier it was maybe 15yrs ago. And a car parked next to us not a young couple as they got off the driver chucked all his chips and crap on the carpark outside our door. As he drove off I went mental at him luckily other members of the public witnessed him doing this and also my young lad at the time clear it all up and bin it.

Mike
Probably most , if not all , on here do not dump rubbish etc . Though I did empty my tanks , discretely , yesterday .
Biggest 'crime' I witness is inconsiderate parking
Fisherrow harbour is a prime example . Parking in front of flats , in turning area etc
Of course the council dealt with it by erecting height barriers instead of solving the problem but two wrongs etc...

Probably most , if not all , on here do not dump rubbish etc . Though I did empty my tanks , discretely , yesterday .
Biggest 'crime' I witness is inconsiderate parking
Fisherrow harbour is a prime example . Parking in front of flats , in turning area etc
Of course the council dealt with it by erecting height barriers instead of solving the problem but two wrongs etc...
I have to admit that I have discretely emptied my grey water, but then I know two CLS who ask you to do so in their hedge. But as you say to some it looks bad, hence why I would only do so when no one’s about, where it’s appropriate, and never on a tarred surface. But you mention fisherrow. Well I agree that parking under the flats was not ideal, but if I lived there I would have been more concerned about the loutish behaviour, rubbish strewn all over the beech and carpark, dogs mess, and loud music till the early hours. We witnessed a terrible mess in the toilets which were vandalised soon after they put the barriers, and had to be closed. Water taps were constantly left running. All they had to do was move us away from that part of the carpark. But if you read the comments from the SNP councillor about us you would know why the barriers were erected. He was much the same as the councillor we were discussing at Lochore in Fife.

I have to admit that I have discretely emptied my grey water, but then I know two CLS who ask you to do so in their hedge. But as you say to some it looks bad, hence why I would only do so when no one’s about, where it’s appropriate, and never on a tarred surface. But you mention fisherrow. Well I agree that parking under the flats was not ideal, but if I lived there I would have been more concerned about the loutish behaviour, rubbish strewn all over the beech and carpark, dogs mess, and loud music till the early hours. We witnessed a terrible mess in the toilets which were vandalised soon after they put the barriers, and had to be closed. Water taps were constantly left running. All they had to do was move us away from that part of the carpark. But if you read the comments from the SNP councillor about us you would know why the barriers were erected. He was much the same as the councillor we were discussing at Lochore in Fife.
No argument there . All the 'crimes' you list were happening before barriers went up as well . Yet nothing was done about it . Guy who was supposed to clean toilets just didn't . Same marks were there every day .
Yes the situation was not well handled from our point of view but councils , big organisations etc do tend to take the easy option .
Again my point stands re inconsiderate parking .
Possibly those who park inconsiderately are a bit messy in other ways ?

No argument there . All the 'crimes' you list were happening before barriers went up as well . Yet nothing was done about it . Guy who was supposed to clean toilets just didn't . Same marks were there every day .
Yes the situation was not well handled from our point of view but councils , big organisations etc do tend to take the easy option .
Again my point stands re inconsiderate parking .
Possibly those who park inconsiderately are a bit messy in other ways ?
They will still be happening, as I said the toilets had to be closed due to vandalism after the barriers were erected.
But they dealt with the main problem, US ;)

Mike

And yet ...

In an over four year period from 1st July 2014 to 30th August 2018 there was only one complaint listed in council records.

It seems we're more concerned about us than the public (in Whitby) is. Your points are valid but not seemingly a matter of concern to Whitby residents.

They will still be happening, as I said the toilets had to be closed due to vandalism after the barriers were erected.
But they dealt with the main problem, US ;)
I'm not so bothered about general bad behaviour . Purely because I can do heehaw about it . It happens .
Much more concerned about bad behaviour of motorhomers .
Unfortunately it happens too

Didn't say we were . You do seem to miss the point quite a lot
And I didn’t state you said or thought otherwise, I was merely making what I regard as a salient point. Not inferring in any way that we differed on that issue.
As for myself missing many points, well you are welcome to your opinion.
I am well aware of poor behaviour within our fraternity, I have both witnessed and alluded to it many times on here.

What happened at Fisherrow has been repeated all over the country.
I and others on here feel that we alone are “dealt with” whilst worse offenders are free to return and continue with their poor behaviour. I find that both annoying and unjust, and feel there is relevance within this issue. However I am also sadly aware that the reasons that we are sometimes unfairly dealt with have nothing to do with justice, and everything to do with a bias towards us through envy, ignorance, and a media that are hell bent on portraying us in a poor light. Whitby appears to be a prime example. Just my opinion, for what it’s worth.

Last edited:
Wow - the vitriolic comments aren't exactly welcoming. I accept they are just from a couple of people, but even so ...
You can taste the envy and smell the ignorance in these posts.
This is why we cannot use carparks that we have paid for.
Nothing to do with anecdotal evidence of misdemeanours, and everything to do with sheer ignorance and envy of the very worse kind.
Note you will see the word TRAVELLERS therein lies another issue, based on sheer ignorance towards us.

Praetor22 HRS AGO
An even better way to boost trade is for these wealthy motor homers to stay in hotels or B and Bs instead of clogging up roads with their oversized polluting vehicles and how does the council control the other undesirable type of travellers if they let them park overnight in car parks. There are alternatives namely the private parks but of course they are not as conveniently located for the night time attractions which is what this is really all about

the harbinger of doom15 HRS AGO
The ten bob millionaires ARE NOT WELCOME . tough init

Last edited:
Do these idiots really think that banning motorhomes will keep the traveler's out of the car parks, as we all know if they decide to take over a car park then they will.
And why on earth would these brainless morons think that we would want to drive our own self contained accommodation to Whitby so that we can stay in a b+b

Do these idiots really think that banning motorhomes will keep the traveler's out of the car parks, as we all know if they decide to take over a car park then they will.
And why on earth would these brainless morons think that we would want to drive our own self contained accommodation to Whitby so that we can stay in a b+b
The third word in your post sums them up perfectly, but sadly they may be councillors, who knows. They also compared us with travellers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back