Poor Whitby a ghost town

We used to go regularly in the winter months when it was quieter, that was until they became so anti motorhome
If they would let us stay in the big car park in just out of season months we would happily start going again.
But we havenā€™t been for many years and cannot see us going again any time soon

I won't patronize the place because of their anti campervan bias. Sadly I do on occasion stay close in a couple of hideaway places I know, but rarely, & even rarer do I go into the town to spend like I used to....

We used to go regularly in the winter months when it was quieter, that was until they became so anti motorhome
If they would let us stay in the big car park in just out of season months we would happily start going again.
But we havenā€™t been for many years and cannot see us going again any time soon
Now might be the right time tell them how they can bring some visitors and income back to the ghost town

I wasnā€™t meaning the council I was meaning it would be a good time to speak to someone within local business. šŸ‘
To be honest

The few times I visited I've heard little else but moaning from local folks about visitors and traffic...
And a lot of the same from shop owners... Barring the money some folks spend obviously...

Ill not be in a rush to get back there as there are much nicer places not far away where folks are actually happy to chat to you and are thoroughly delighted IF you should choose to pass them a few quid via fueling up, buying supplies and or a meal out....

To be honest

The few times I visited I've heard little else but moaning from local folks about visitors and traffic...
And a lot of the same from shop owners... Barring the money some folks spend obviously...

Ill not be in a rush to get back there as there are much nicer places not far away where folks are actually happy to chat to you and are thoroughly delighted IF you should choose to pass them a few quid via fueling up, buying supplies and or a meal out....
I knew the councilā€™s had their heads firmly up their ar5es when it came to motorhomes but I just thought the people who benefit from tourists might be a bit more understanding.

We were there for the first time in October. We used the excellent park and ride.
I found the contradiction between the park and ride with motorhome spaces and lack of spaces in the town stark.
Why don't they allow overnight parking for two nights in the park and ride.
The motorhome section at the top was large and only 5 or 6 vans were parked there.
But I suppose that would take some lateral thinking, something most councillors are lacking in.
The campsite (North Yorkshire moors) was 6 miles from Whitby.
As usual well positioned for caravan owners with cars.
We arrived early in the morning and it was nice and quiet, but it turned into a typical English holiday resort with loads of people.
What surprised us was the amount of dogs that were there, and the number of fish and chip shops.

I liked the place, but I doubt if I would return.

We used to go to Whitby and Scarborough at least twice a month but when they started banning motohomes we also stopped. Not been for about 10yrs much rather go where we are welcome. Lytham,Fleetwood and Blackpool. Although when we did visit we mainly stopped over night up on the bluebank car park or the burger van layby on the a64šŸ¤£

Mike

We like Whitby in Summer, used a CCC THS last time there [ about a mile out of town ] and got the local bus in to town, if they now have a P n R with Motorhome parking that is also good, nice Wetherspoons there and good Chippies too long way from Southampton but worth a visit if in the area we think. Last time there I got involved with the Police, saw a man beating a 12 year old boy, I stopped him, the boy ran off and the man would not speak to me so I called 999 , police came took a statement from me and others and took the man away, later that day walking in the town I saw the boy with a lady [ his Mum } and some other Children [Family] I spoke with his Mum and was told it was her Partner hitting on the boy he gets very aggressive the Mother said , I apologized if I had caused her any grief but she said no , he needs stopping, I also said that I would do the same again if I ever see any violence to Children etc ??

As a retired Councillor myself on 3 different levels, Parish, District & County, if people on here feel so very strongly about the problems associated with parking at Whitby or indeed any other location throughout the UK, then it might be very worthwhile for some highly respected long standing member of both W.C. as well as the sister sites, stressing the level of income responsible owners of MoHo's can bring to an area, most especially during the winter months, also stressing the numbers of owners there are etc. etc.

Whitby will surely be exactly the same as innumerable other similar locations where tourism is their main source of income and how vitally important it is for their business owners to have some kind of income at all times of the year etc.

In this instance, if any such letter is written, I suggest you send it to Michael King the Town Clerk of Whitby town.clerk@whitbytowncouncil.gov.uk, by law he has to respond and also by law any contact has to be brought to the attention (at the very least) of the Town Mayor Councillor Linda Wild

I had a look at the town website, but can't immediately see the name of any people on the tourism committee, even if they have such a thing.

If we are a quantifiable group, then who knows, direct contact rather than discontented grumblings might well have some kind of effect.

As a retired Councillor myself on 3 different levels, Parish, District & County, if people on here feel so very strongly about the problems associated with parking at Whitby or indeed any other location throughout the UK, then it might be very worthwhile for some highly respected long standing member of both W.C. as well as the sister sites, stressing the level of income responsible owners of MoHo's can bring to an area, most especially during the winter months, also stressing the numbers of owners there are etc. etc.

Whitby will surely be exactly the same as innumerable other similar locations where tourism is their main source of income and how vitally important it is for their business owners to have some kind of income at all times of the year etc.

In this instance, if any such letter is written, I suggest you send it to Michael King the Town Clerk of Whitby town.clerk@whitbytowncouncil.gov.uk, by law he has to respond and also by law any contact has to be brought to the attention (at the very least) of the Town Mayor Councillor Linda Wild

I had a look at the town website, but can't immediately see the name of any people on the tourism committee, even if they have such a thing.

If we are a quantifiable group, then who knows, direct contact rather than discontented grumblings might well have some kind of effect.
Hi Millie, my only concern here is why should we support Whitby in quieter winter months, IF we are to be denied access in summer. On my recent October visit there, I noted that the carparks on the higher section were almost empty during the day. Yet Whitby was busy. It seems to me that there could be sufficient space available for some limited overnighting during summer.

Agree with Bill (Fisherman), Whitby and Scarborough have been anti motorhome for years. I think in the past at least there were campsite owners on the council. They dont want us there so many motorhomers have voted with their feet (Well wheels) and just boycott the place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back