Plugging power station into motorhome shore socket

While stretched for gas while in Spain earlier this year, I used my 1000W Jackery power bank to run fridge for a while, and heat water for showering, using my short EHU cable connected to Jackery and EHU input socket. I cant recall the % usage over an hour, with Jackery @ 100%, drain was not drastic, which was easily resolved by hooking up the two solar panels to recharge the bank. Jackery do not recommend drawing from bank, while bank charging is in progress.

While stretched for gas while in Spain earlier this year, I used my 1000W Jackery power bank to run fridge for a while, and heat water for showering, using my short EHU cable connected to Jackery and EHU input socket. I cant recall the % usage over an hour, with Jackery @ 100%, drain was not drastic, which was easily resolved by hooking up the two solar panels to recharge the bank. Jackery do not recommend drawing from bank, while bank charging is in progress.
If it’s a kilowatt heater element it will use a kilowatt of power Terry lol. I wouldn’t give a power bank long running my 1Kw immersion. Doesn’t matter if it’s a power bank or you hab battery bank, you still have to replace what’s used before you can use it again

I had a delta 2 i regularly plugged into 240 hook up socket no problems , the polarity light came on the Sargent fuse box I contacted ecoflow and was told this is normal .

It is normal because most inverters do not have single polarity, both wires are live.
Any inverter will have a floating supply so neither pole is live. Only if/when one of the poles is taken to ground (something that wouldn't normally be done) does the other pole automatically then becomes live.

Last edited:
Any inverter will have a floating supply so neither pole is live. Only a if one of the poles is taken to ground (something that wouldn't normally be done) does the other pole automatically then becomes live.
Not sure I understand the bit about neither pole being live. As it was explained to me both wires carry 110V but when they meet at the appliance the combined effect becomes 220V. I got the following diagrams from some Sterling inverter instructions. In the text it specifically says that both wires are live in the centre tapped configuration and this is the most common arrangement.
IMG_0604.jpeg

Not sure I understand the bit about neither pole being live. As it was explained to me both wires carry 110V but when they meet at the appliance the combined effect becomes 220V. I got the following diagrams from some Sterling inverter instructions. In the text it specifically says that both wires are live in the centre tapped configuration and this is the most common arrangement.View attachment 134792
Well for anything to be LIVE then it's opposing output terminal must be tied to planet earth so unless you take the time and effort to connect something at an inverter arrangement to earth via a wire then you can't possibly have anything that's LIVE.
The first picture of a centre tapped output is typical of a generator but again unless your generator has the centre tap on the output coil AND you take that centre tap to an earth spike you will not have a 220v supply centre tapped to earth, instead you'll simply have a 220v floating supply, because IT'S THE EARTHING OF A POLE ON A POWER SOURCE THAT MAKES THE OPPOSING POLE/POLES BECOME LIVE.
I've only ever seen 1 inverter with an 'earth' tag and this wasn't referenced to the output at all let alone a centre tap on the output, it was simply a terminal connected to the metal case/ heatsinks so taking this terminal to planet earth wouldn't create a 'LIVE' at the output.
Not sure I understand the bit about neither pole being live
Any voltage source is floating (is not tied or referenced to ground) unless you deliberately ground it at some point.
Normally nobody would go to the trouble of connecting the output of an inverter to planet earth so the 220v output will 'float' completely independent of ground, a person can therefore stand on planet earth (ground) and touch either single wire of the 220v output and not get a shock because the 220v supply cannot find a route via earth, therefore there is nothing live, ie NO LIVES. ( To get electrocuted you need to touch both wires simultaneously)
Go ahead and take one of the output terminals (or a centre tap) to earth and the same person standing on ground WOULD get shocked because there's now a circuit for electricity to pass from the output, through the person and back to the source via planet earth. This is why earthing stuff creates a live...... The live terminal didn't exist until an opposing terminal was earthed.

Well for anything to be LIVE then it's opposing output terminal must be tied to planet earth so unless you take the time and effort to connect something at an inverter arrangement to earth via a wire then you can't possibly have anything that's LIVE.
The first picture of a centre tapped output is typical of a generator but again unless your generator has the centre tap on the output coil AND you take that centre tap to an earth spike you will not have a 220v supply centre tapped to earth, instead you'll simply have a 220v floating supply, because IT'S THE EARTHING OF A POLE ON A POWER SOURCE THAT MAKES THE OPPOSING POLE/POLES BECOME LIVE.
I've only ever seen 1 inverter with an 'earth' tag and this wasn't referenced to the output at all let alone a centre tap on the output, it was simply a terminal connected to the metal case/ heatsinks so taking this terminal to planet earth wouldn't create a 'LIVE' at the output.

Any voltage source is floating (is not tied or referenced to ground) unless you deliberately ground it at some point.
Normally nobody would go to the trouble of connecting the output of an inverter to planet earth so the 220v output will 'float' completely independent of ground, a person can therefore stand on planet earth (ground) and touch either single wire of the 220v output and not get a shock because the 220v supply cannot find a route via earth, therefore there is nothing live, ie NO LIVES. ( To get electrocuted you need to touch both wires simultaneously)
Go ahead and take one of the output terminals (or a centre tap) to earth and the same person standing on ground WOULD get shocked because there's now a circuit for electricity to pass from the output, through the person and back to the source via planet earth. This is why earthing stuff creates a live...... The live terminal didn't exist until an opposing terminal was earthed.
I was just trying to say that is unsafe to assume either wire from an inverter is safe.

I was just trying to say that is unsafe to assume either wire from an inverter is safe.
Yup, if you're not familiar with what's been installed then never assume for sure. But take an inverter out of its box and connect it to a battery and NEITHER output is live, you could touch either wire individually and not get a shock. Start messing around and connecting stuff to an earth spike and that changes, and that's what's being shown/demonstrated on the drawings you posted.
Grounding has a benefit in some situations but personally I think it's safer not to for 99.99% of MH installations.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:155)

Back