Plugging power station into motorhome shore socket

Why not use the pumped water to drive a turbine to generate electricity to charge the power station.

This would increase the efficiency of the system.

Q.E.D.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

steam vardo.jpg

I use my EcoFlow Delta 2 max + extra battery to run my caravan using the ehu caravan socket. I either leave the power stations in the Volvo estate boot or in the porch awning if I have put it on.
Also have 400 watts of portable solar and these have meant I am self sufficient with power and use the microwave etc when and if I need to.
Once the winter arrives I will just take the genny with me to keep the power station topped up and leave the solar panels at home so will still self sufficient power wise.

Last edited:
After the pump wouldn't work on two different power stations, I connected it directly to a 17Ah 12V alarm battery and that worked (although of course it was a big draw for such a small battery!).
I have a new pump that arrived yesterday (I needed a different one anyway) and if that has the same issue, what I might end up doing is just strapping a pair of 17Ah batteries together to give more power and a lower "C" Drain instead of trying to use the power station? (A pump with internal battery would be best, but decent ones are rather pricey and only need an occasional remote power option).

But it really makes no logical sense to have the power stations be so restrictive?
There are some that have a 30A 12v take off, the Bluetti is one but not sure if it’s certain models or all, that’s what Mel (big van, small world) uses as all his van takes power from the power bank.

And right now I am contemplating the daft requirement of using a battery power station to power a "mains" battery charger in order to get a DC supply to power a 12V pump!
Yup ... Take a DC battery and convert the output to AC to let me plug in a device to convert AC back to DC. makes sense huh? All because while these power stations are happy to have many tens of amps drawn when their built-in inverters are running, they generally max out at 10A on the 12V outlet side. Very annoying :(
If I need charge in my starter battery during Solar months I use one of my 30a Victron mains charger plugged in to the inverter.

Can it be done?, is it worth doing and from what I’ve learned on here a ‘reverse polarity’ light will be on the Sargent unit, does it matter and will it stop it working and will it cause any damage?.
Yes it can be done, same sort of thing I do if I connect my generator the the EHU socket.

Blimey, that IS an annoying power station quirk 😡. Talk about spoiling the ship for a haperth of tar but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere WRT cost/features.
Probably be the first modification after the guarantee period?😉
That modification might not be as simple as it sounds. Most power stations do not have have a 12V battery, usually a lot higher voltage. There may not be space inside the box for a bigger DC-DC step down, this may account for the limited power of the original 12v.

That modification might not be as simple as it sounds. Most power stations do not have have a 12V battery, usually a lot higher voltage. There may not be space inside the box for a bigger DC-DC step down, this may account for the limited power of the original 12v.
This is a very valid oberservation. In fact the smaller Power Station is even more limited to 5A @12V.
A shame as the new pump is 110W (so below 10A@12V) so actually works on the Big Power Station, but that is not the one I would want to carry with the pump really. But at least it is an option if I take the car rather than the Motorhome to use the watercraft and I need the pump.

I've just got a air pump with a built in battery, charged via USB.
Don;t think it would be sufficient for your needs.
I looked at Pumps with Rechargable batteries and the type I would need would be rather pricey (need to go to 15 PSI minimum, high volume, have good accuracy and an presettable cutoff). It will not be that often I will be using it away from the Motorhome either.

For wot it’s worth I have plugged my vtoman into ehu point and run all things as if on ehu even at Hereford meeting
Down to 20 % on power station plugged in my vto a portable solar panels( heavy23 it’s ) and three hours back to full charge I. Happy
Also carry polarity tester which saved the day at mo r saint Michelle to a French mans delight £16 off ebay

Also carry polarity tester which saved the day at mo r saint Michelle to a French mans delight £16 off ebay

Does far more than test polarity for about half the price.

IMO this is essential kit for MoHo, I even check UK sites, but never found a problem except France.

This is my set up

Attachments

• IMG_3932.png
    IMG_3932.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3931.png
    IMG_3931.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:155)

Back