Pitlochry.

14 gypo caravans have just arrived en masse at CU Pitlochry 2.

They,ve now set up, generators running, kids running everywhere and bloody dogs barking like mad.

I'll let you know tomorrow what happens overnight :sad:

We were for a couple of hours in Pitlochry Sunday the 11th. Nice place. We did not see any Gypsies then. Drove into Pitlochry today a couple of hours ago on our way back to Cornwall to fill up with Gas. Saw a few Police cars passing us but don't know why.

We were for a couple of hours in Pitlochry Sunday the 11th. Nice place. We did not see any Gypsies then. Drove into Pitlochry today a couple of hours ago on our way back to Cornwall to fill up with Gas. Saw a few Police cars passing us but don't know why.

They only arrived at approx 9pm on tuesday 13th Sept.

We left before 6am this morning wednesday 14th Sept to get sorted and have breakfast a few miles up the road.

Coming back south down the A9 we drove through Pitlochry at approx 08.30am this morning and they were still there with no sign of life.

Several of them had unhitched and set up properly.

If it was the road up to the fish ladder the work was still ongoing a couple of weeks ago when we were there. There is still pedestrian access to the ladder but no vehicles.

Yup. that's the one. Thanks :)

Have the gypsies moved on or are they still at Pitlochry as thinking of heading up if their away.

The work at the fish ladder is for a visitor centre and I suppose that will be the end of the overnight parking there

The work at the fish ladder is for a visitor centre and I suppose that will be the end of the overnight parking there

Oh well, shame, but good for Pitlochry 's trade thay feel it is necessary.

Have the gypsies moved on or are they still at Pitlochry as thinking of heading up if their away.

Just back from a couple of days in the Pitlochry area. The travellers have moved on from CU Pitlochry 2 and the car park is as it always has been - clean and handy for town. I would recommend using the new ticket machine near the entrance to the car park rather than the old and erratic machine on the left up by the motorhome spaces, although this is due to be replaced. I used the old machine and had to call the enquiry line as it issued a completely wrong ticket - got a free days parking out of it though!!
As mentioned above the road down to CU Pitlochry 1 is now closed - we walked down to see the construction works and what was the car park seems to be going to be the new visitor centre car park but it is being fully landscaped so probably won't be suitable for large vans and I don't know if overnight parking will be allowed. Definitely closed off for the foreseeable future though.
As recommended above CR Clunie Power Station is a great spot for overnighting. Plenty of hardstanding next to the river and very peaceful, not for those who want to park up near the shops and pubs though as it's a good 2 - 3 mile pleasant walk into Pitlochry.
Hope this helps anybody thinking of heading for Pitlochry.

Tony

Just checked back in my calendar and it was the beginning of May so likely that the work has been completed?? Can Wooie check, perhaps?

I was there two weeks ago , road is still closed. They are building what looks like a visitors centre for the dam and fish ladder........

As mentioned above the road down to CU Pitlochry 1 is now closed - we walked down to see the construction works and what was the car park seems to be going to be the new visitor centre car park but it is being fully landscaped so probably won't be suitable for large vans and I don't know if overnight parking will be allowed. Definitely closed off for the foreseeable future though.

Thanks for the update. I've removed it from the POIs ...

Just back from two weeks in the north of scotland, had intended to stop over at Pitlochry on the way up, but of the three spots I tried none were available, one was closed due to it being used as a pick up point for Enchanted Forest, another now has new looking "no overnighting" signs and the other (which I had never used before) near the center of the town had long standing no over nighting signs - so it was off to a nice A9 layby!

Just back from two weeks in the north of scotland, had intended to stop over at Pitlochry on the way up, but of the three spots I tried none were available, one was closed due to it being used as a pick up point for Enchanted Forest, another now has new looking "no overnighting" signs and the other (which I had never used before) near the center of the town had long standing no over nighting signs - so it was off to a nice A9 layby!

Strange as there were 2 or 3 motorhome in the motorhome parking bays in the Atholl Road car park when we attended the Enchanted Forest this year. This car park is opposite Fishers Hotel which is the Enchanted Forest pick up point and it certainly wasn't closed during the event.
Apart from the POI down by the fish dam which is closed due to construction work all the other WIldCamping poi's in the area were open less than 2 weeks ago with no evidence of "no overnighting" signs.
A cheeky suggestion is that if you became a full member you would have access to these poi's and would have no problem overnighting well away from the dreaded A9!
Tony

Im not a fan of the lower A9 and rarely use it but this time, I was in a hurry, I had picked out the carpark at the junction of the B8019 / B8079 - I had stopped there some time back and it was at that time well established as an overnighting spot, it was this carpark that had the new signage, my fallback position was the carpark at Fascally forest it was this one which was closed for the enchanted forest. I completely forgot about the Athol road carpark - and I wasnt sure that it allowed overnighting. the town was jam packed so I dont think that I would have got in there even had I thought of it.
the last choice was down towards the salmon ladder sign posted "overflow carpark" and it was here that I encountered the other no over night signs.
It was no great hardship it just meant that I drove a little further that day which left a left a little less to do the next!

rest assured full membership is coming up - the van has been put to bed for the winter now so it will be in the spring before I do anything

Has anyone managed to magnify the photo in the link so they can read what the signs say ?

I`ve tried to no avail :sad:

With the closing of both Athol Road and the B8019 carpark seems to be Pitlochry doesnt want motorhomers which is a pity but ultimately their loss with no reason to enter the town how many will now continue up the A9?

Dont they realise that MHers spend money, even if its only a loaf and a carton of milk it will now be bought elsewhere and not in Pitlochry

What I would REALLY like to see is the House of Bruar allowing MHs to overnight!!!!! On second thoughts Im not sure my wallet could stand the strain

This is the sign:

Sign.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back