Petition - Stop increases in road tax for motorhomes.

Can you give a link to the information about the rise in the tax?

The only information I have seen is on a couple of MH dealers websites. The "rumour" is that from 1st September applications to register new MHs must show the relevant CO2 figure on the CoC. There has been no chAnge to the law, which as now means if a CO2 figure is stated on the application for first registration, the vehicle will be placed into the relevant Diesel Car emissions related tax band, with additional tax due for the first 5 years.

Since MHs are converted from base vehicles, the original CO2 figure for the base vehicle is not relevant, and therefore a CO2 figure is not normally entered on the CoC. In such cases, DVLA assign the vehicle eithe to the old PLG or PHGV tax band, according to its MGW.

Since converters don't have the facilities to complete emissions testing and approval, this is currently the norm, and I am not aware that they have been notified of any changes. Certainly there was nothing on the VCA website last time I looked, which means the powers that be are leaving it a bit late to expect any changes to be implemented if there is any truth to the claims being made by a few dealers.

Personally, I suspect it may be a marketing ploy in the hope it might encourage prospective purchasers to buy their existing stock.

By creating a petition, it seems to me the danger is that it could bring the proposal (rumour) to the attention of politicians who then think "We can get more tax out of motorhomes. That's a good idea, let's change the law"!

I've signed it but I'm not going to hold my breath, I signed a similar one for motorbikes having to pay £78.00 a year when there are cars paying sweet FA and that one got thrown by the government claiming there was no other way to calculate the tax!

Regards,
Del

The only information I have seen is on a couple of MH dealers websites. The "rumour" is that from 1st September applications to register new MHs must show the relevant CO2 figure on the CoC. There has been no chAnge to the law, which as now means if a CO2 figure is stated on the application for first registration, the vehicle will be placed into the relevant Diesel Car emissions related tax band, with additional tax due for the first 5 years.

Since MHs are converted from base vehicles, the original CO2 figure for the base vehicle is not relevant, and therefore a CO2 figure is not normally entered on the CoC. In such cases, DVLA assign the vehicle eithe to the old PLG or PHGV tax band, according to its MGW.

Since converters don't have the facilities to complete emissions testing and approval, this is currently the norm, and I am not aware that they have been notified of any changes. Certainly there was nothing on the VCA website last time I looked, which means the powers that be are leaving it a bit late to expect any changes to be implemented if there is any truth to the claims being made by a few dealers.

Personally, I suspect it may be a marketing ploy in the hope it might encourage prospective purchasers to buy their existing stock.

By creating a petition, it seems to me the danger is that it could bring the proposal (rumour) to the attention of politicians who then think "We can get more tax out of motorhomes. That's a good idea, let's change the law"!

Good points Deneb, I hope you are right.
Quite frankly who would buy a new motorhome if they had to pay nearly £2000 a year road tax, who could afford or be willing to pay such an amount.
If there is any truth in this it would only add insult to injury over how we are treated by politicians.
And this would lead to thousands of job losses, and a net loss of revenue for the government.
Far outweighing any additional tax they collected from such a draconian measure.

Its about time r/tax was done away with and add a few pence to fuel,we should only pay a register or change of ownership fee at a post office of say £25 once only payment.

Its about time r/tax was done away with and add a few pence to fuel,we should only pay a register or change of ownership fee at a post office of say £25 once only payment.

Trevor

You are so heartless - do you not think of those poor DVLA Swansea workers who managed to get Regional Offices closed down and centralise the work in Swansea, then continue to issue inaccurate V5Cs, but take the revenue anyway, then correct the V5C, often incorrectly, and then have to administer the annual collection of tax.

They have to do al this with no or minimal training about the vehicles they are dealing with.

What other organisation is so well-designed to find work for unskilled labour. A government success in employment.

Think again Trevor and repent.

Geoff

Trevor

You are so heartless - do you not think of those poor DVLA Swansea workers who managed to get Regional Offices closed down and centralise the work in Swansea, then continue to issue inaccurate V5Cs, but take the revenue anyway, then correct the V5C, often incorrectly, and then have to administer the annual collection of tax.

They have to do al this with no or minimal training about the vehicles they are dealing with.

What other organisation is so well-designed to find work for unskilled labour. A government success in employment.

Think again Trevor and repent.

Geoff

Throw in a cherished plate transfer and that really fecks them up!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back