Petition Against NC 500 Campers

no reply just a form letter telling me if i don't live there he cannot help

kyran

• Sad
Reactions: 2cv
That was the basis of a reply made by an enlightened tourism officer in reply to a complaint of a Tesco delivery van delivering to a proper Aire near me by a resident trying to have the Aire closed.
The driver was probably from the local store where the picker and the rest of the staff were local and the store pay a good chunk of taxes (rates) to the council.
The same reply was given when the local Asian restaurant delivered to vans staying on the (fully legal) Aire.

Davy

Firstly, I'm not against tourism per se (otherwise, I wouldn't be a motorhomer) -- and I'm playing Devil's advocate here to help understanding of why tourists might not be welcomed by the general population in 'tourist destinations'.

While it's been suggested that the hoi polloi of Cornwall (and Scotland?) benefit from tourism, the alleged benefit is much less than you might think and, in Cornwall at least, some forms of tourism have been detrimental both to the economy and community. Many tourism business are owned by outsiders, so much of the profit doesn't stay in the county, and a lot of seasonal jobs go to outsiders, who either take the money with them at the end of the season or spend it at non-local businesses (think Tesco et al.)

However, the most destructive element of tourism is the second-home problem, which has over half the housing in some areas unavailable to locals (even if they could afford it). This has created a massive shortage of affordable housing, obliging locals to move away, which has reduced the workforce available to 'regular' businesses, which have consequently located away from the county, resulting in fewer jobs, further depressing the already low wages and hence the GDP of the area. Outliers snapping up Cornish properties in popular areas for use as holiday lets only exacerbates the issue further. There are loopholes that allow holiday lets to escape business rates and misuse of AirBnB etc. means that some (many?) who should pay rates don't. Overall, annual council revenue is reduced.

In the meantime, the two traditional industries of Cornwall (minining and fishing) have been destroyed -- one by UK Government; the other by EU policy -- and no significant industry has moved in to take their place. Tourism probably welcomes this as the lack of industry helps make the region pretty, quaint and picturesque -- more 'touristy'.

Many have/had no choice but sell out to wealthy outsiders and move out of the county, leaving many villages desolate out of season; while, in season, the roads are jam-packed with cars bearing 'foreign' registration plates.

So don't think that the average man in the street owes anything to tourists.
I was born and raised in Kingston Upon Thames, the average property price for a terraced house is £658,000 and a Semi-D is £756,000....I am a maintenance man and now live in the North, same $h1T different part of the country. All the old mining areas are still depressed and some fishing towns in the North are literally dying with properties lying empty and VERY high unemployment. Its a long way from ideal in Cornwall but personally I think many Cornish moan a little too loudly, if they paid attention to outside of the West country and had a look elsewhere I suspect many would consider themselves to be doing ok

Last edited:
We live in the Peak District National Park, overrun by weekenders and day trippers from the Manchester and Sheffield conurbations, and a destination for holidaymakers from all over. Sure they are a bloody nuisance at times, and we prefer to go elsewhere in summer. Nevertheless, without them there would be a lot of people, especially young people out of work, and a depressed local economy, so for their benefit I can tolerate them...eeee but it was lovely and peaceful in lockdown.

Although Edinburgh International Festival and the Military Tattoo are cancelled for this year, when it was the norm, the city population doubles.

And Cornwall has a moan at having to deal with a handful of tourists, awe what a shame!

I think Edinburgh should charge a Levi for all the damage done to their pavements by obese people during the festival. I am thinking of starting a petition on this issue. Anyone heavier than 12 stone would have pay the Levi.
Also navigating from one part of Edinburgh to another during the festival is almost impossible. Perhaps a congestion charge could be applied here.

I fully support the tourist industry in Edinburgh, and the festival which brings millions to the city, whilst enhancing its worldwide reputation.

But hey why not Levi these people for supporting us with their custom, makes sense to me.

signed

Jamie Stone MP.

:) :)

I believe that the NC 500 route was outlined by the Scottish Tourist Board to encourage visitors to the area where there is little employment and to boost their sagging economy . I have done the route myself twice , both clockwise and anticlockwise and it is a great trip . We stayed for a couple of nights on a campsite at the start and end of the trip but in between camped wild in numerous locations only for a night in each spot. We never had an ounce of trouble , always took our rubbish and put it in the next bin we saw , same for the toilet and showering , we did it outside with Eco washing gel .

These people who are currently doing this trip , and there is obviously going to be more because people are not going abroad seem to be ruining it for the more responsible traveller leaving this trail of destruction behind them and thus the locals are tarring everyone with the brush . There is no excuse for this irresponsible behaviour , however I do have to point out that the local authorities are partly to blame as the rubbish bins in laybys , car parks are dwindling , and the same goes for Public Toilets are getting less and less .

Regarding the extra wear on the Scottish Road Network , all i can say is it appalling wherever you go , M74 , M80, M8, A9 etc etc . I have never seen so many potholes , lumps, bumps and tramlines . I can see why Mrs Sturgeon wanted to stay in the EU because that's the only way she would get funding for the road repairs as her coffers are empty and if Scotland get their Independence , God help the road network then !!

I have digressed a little but going back to the NC500 , or as the Tourism board describe as the "Scottish equivalent to the American Route 66 " (chuckle, chuckle) it has been mentioned about putting a Congestion Charge on it , what a load of tosh as we don't pay enough now!!! If they do that then I'll be staying away , they want their cake and eat it. They want the tourists to visit and spend loads of money but they don't want you to use their crappy roads , unbelievable.

Whilst I'm ranting , the Snowdonia National Park want`s to start charging people to go up Snowdon !!!!! . I read yesterday that one campsite has charged £150 per night and another one charges £5.00 per night for a dog. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a dog wander up to the shower block in his dressing gown and slippers with wash kit to have a shower , use the toilet and dry themself with the flipping hairdryer to warrant that charge . Who are these flipping idiots .
This country is literally going to the dogs .

Yep put me down I’m 100% against this 500 thing I can only count to 250 after that I get lost and end up back home I stay right in the middle.😜

Last edited:
Not really a thread drift. I noticed this, this morning.

So things are hurting, or will hurt, in Torbay. So I thought I'd look up their attitude to motorhomes:

2020-08-01_094150.png

An opportunity to approach the council;? A suggestion that already permitted daytime parking is extended to include overnighting?

More and more every year our freedom of movement to go where we want or park where we want are are getting more restrictive . I have a Citroen Relay van which is my everyday vehicle , work and leisure and yet I am blocked from some car parks due to height barriers even in tourist areas and country parks . I even went to go into a small retail park to visit a certain camping store and couldn't get in because the barrier , so I went in through the way out as there was no barrier, (naughty boy I am) but it is getting beyond .

Going back to wild camping this country is so restricted , only legally allowed in Scotland but not in England or Wales it makes me so mad. The actual freedoms we do have in reality are very poor as regards to where you can go or park . Take the USA for instance , you can virtually go anywhere off the beaten track , mountains, lakes , forests into valleys and canyons without restriction whether it be off roading , wild camping , expedition trails and that's with wild animals lurking around . We can't even park in a street without a restriction or meter in place . it is not just the States , there countries all over the world that allow these recreational pursuits without restriction .

The mountains , lakes , forests within our country rightly belong to the people . The local authorities , Forestry Commissions , National Park Trusts , private consortiums should not have the right to restrict our access should we wish to do so , even if we wanted to park up and camp . The way I see it that none of these bodies have these areas legally . These were stripped from us centuries ago by Dukes , Earls and the like , ever since the land grab has got bigger and bigger . None of those legally purchased the land and yet it has been incorporated into the family legacy and handed down through generations . If these bodies wish to take on the management the forests , woodland , lakes etc then so be it , that is their choice but it should not be at the cost of our freedom to access these beautiful areas when and where we like .

We only get one life and that life is not always long enough in some cases , so we should be allowed to enjoy it to its fullest . I'm sure that God made this world for everyone to enjoy without restriction, persecution or having to pay to enjoy what he gave us freely.

Not really a thread drift. I noticed this, this morning.

View attachment 84911

An opportunity to approach the council;? A suggestion that already permitted daytime parking is extended to include overnighting?

Same old same old, pay the Council a stopping tax during the day, then give a local councillor £30 to park in his field for the night.:rolleyes:

As for the NC 500, (and any other tourist scheme for that matter) they should stop advertising it until;

A) They've done more consultation with the locals.
B) Inproved the infrastructure.

Surely the nc500 is just a collective group of public roads? If that is the case, then as the owner of a fully road legal vehicle, why should I need any permission to drive this route?
Why should I need special permission to park on any public stretch of highway as long as I aren't causing an obstruction?
The life is being squeezed out of this country by greedy thieving politicians & local councils who seek to control every aspect of everyone's enjoyment of things that should be free for all. Why should I have to pay anything up to 50 quid plus per night just to park my vehicle in an area I don't live in?
The whole system stinks, it has become an affront to all of us who seek only to enjoy our leisure time. Banning everyone just because a few leave a mess is a childish excuse & makes no sense. Why do we all blindly put up with it? The situation is ridiculous & getting worse by the day. Soon our freedom will be gone altogether.
This country is run by greedy corrupt people who care not for the opinions of any of us....
I'm seriously considering ditching the bus altogether, its becoming a source of dismay & frustration & very little joy anymore. Probably just go back to a bike/trike & tent, at least there's a rally every week with no hassle about parking/camping.....

Surely the nc500 is just a collective group of public roads? If that is the case, then as the owner of a fully road legal vehicle, why should I need any permission to drive this route?
Why should I need special permission to park on any public stretch of highway as long as I aren't causing an obstruction?
The life is being squeezed out of this country by greedy thieving politicians & local councils who seek to control every aspect of everyone's enjoyment of things that should be free for all. Why should I have to pay anything up to 50 quid plus per night just to park my vehicle in an area I don't live in?
The whole system stinks, it has become an affront to all of us who seek only to enjoy our leisure time. Banning everyone just because a few leave a mess is a childish excuse & makes no sense. Why do we all blindly put up with it? The situation is ridiculous & getting worse by the day. Soon our freedom will be gone altogether.
This country is run by greedy corrupt people who care not for the opinions of any of us....
I'm seriously considering ditching the bus altogether, its becoming a source of dismay & frustration & very little joy anymore. Probably just go back to a bike/trike & tent, at least there's a rally every week with no hassle about parking/camping.....

Gregg you hit a few nails on the head there, and I agree with each and everyone of them. We have to realise that when we are marked out for special treatment that this affects our freedom. Our taxes both past and present have paid for these carparks why should we be treated any different, what’s so special about us. Yes we have numpties amongst us, but then numpties come in all shapes and sizes and they don’t all drive Motorhomes. Why do we put up with it, well we don’t just put up with it, some of us support what’s going on.
And we are not contracted to support local communities, how and where we spend our money is our business. Having the tag freeloader put upon us is wrong, wether or not we try to support local communities, many of whom due to bias reporting from the media, or simple laziness accepting nimbys POV as fact, despise us yet look to us for support.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back