Petition Against NC 500 Campers

FWIW, I posted the maths to a shower of anti-4x4 cyclists over on a cycling forum many years ago. The pressure on the road (in psi) and hence the likelihood of damage, is given by the mass of vehicle and occupants (in pounds) divided by the total contact area (in square inches) between the tyres and the road. Although bicycles are very light, an average road bicycle has a miniscule contact area and so the pressure exerted on the road by a typical 'roadie' cyclist is considerably greater than that exerted by a full-sized 4x4! FWIW, as a rough approximation, the tyre pressure also gives a rough estimate of pressure on the road. So a typical 'roadie' (~100 to 120 psi) will exert more pressure on the road than any motorhome I know of, and even MTBs typically run with tyres inflated to over 50 psi...
I must be missing the point , I would sooner have my foot run over by a push bike than a motorhome .

Simple Populism Politics..
Trying to ensure he gets re-elected.

It seems many MP's of all parties are "playing the same game"
Oh! Except the tories who simply do as Boris says

Remember the childrens, party game
"Simon Says do this" !..do it or you are out
"Do this" do it you are out (No Simon)

What a completely blinkered kn*b! :cry:

I would like to see the evidence of motorhomes being responsible for ruining Highland roads.
Seems extremely unscientific. Highly emotive and irrational, imho.

How to make friends and influence people - not!

A sad person indeed. Reflecting the views of the constituents he represents?

I suppose he, and they, would be a lot happier if we rebuilt Hadrian's Wall and prevented anyone in a motorised vehicle from crossing the border into Scotland at all. :mad:
yes and may be? keeping them in the e.e.u. i hope not, it would be had to see my friends and family, so be-care-ful what you wish for. ok.pj.

Yes go on. I read in the "I" yesterday that the Northumberland accent is nearer Scots than Geordie, so I'm sorry you'll have to buy a skirt and learn to live on porridge, haggis and square sausages.

The Scottish accent is harsh by comparison - depending which part of Scotland of course.

The proper Northumbrian is much softer. The only similarity I can think of with the Scots is that they roll their 'R's in a Burns-like way.
I think it's a lovely accent. Nicer even than Geordie, if that's possible 😇(y);)😜

The Scottish accent is harsh by comparison - depending which part of Scotland of course.

The proper Northumbrian is much softer. The only similarity I can think of with the Scots is that they roll their 'R's in a Burns-like way.
I think it's a lovely accent. Nicer even than Geordie, if that's possible 😇(y);)😜
I came over all weak after reading that comment of yours. :) One of the examples was "dinna" as opposed to the Geordie "divnt". Mind you there's a fair chance the writer doesn't know where Northumberland is.

Unless and until the benefits of tourism are shared, this is understandable.
However, a congestion charge normally applies to locals as well as visitors. Interesting idea.
Last year they were pressing for a tourist tax.
Next year they'll be begging for a tourist.

Unless and until the benefits of tourism are shared, this is understandable.
However, a congestion charge normally applies to locals as well as visitors. Interesting idea.
Last year they were pressing for a tourist tax.
Next year they'll be begging for a tourist.
Whether tourism is beneficial depends upon your point of view. As a naturalised Cornishman who doesn't profit from tourism, the annual influx of emmets is a PITA. For a quarter or more of each year, the roads are choked and the campsites full to bursting -- so locals can't go anywhere quickly and you can't get a pitch unless you book weeks in advance. I suspect that it's the same for most Scots who don't work in the tourist industry and so I can understand why they kick out. (Just saying...)

Whether tourism is beneficial depends upon your point of view. As a naturalised Cornishman who doesn't profit from tourism, the annual influx of emmets is a PITA. For a quarter or more of each year, the roads are choked and the campsites full to bursting -- so locals can't go anywhere quickly and you can't get a pitch unless you book weeks in advance. I suspect that it's the same for most Scots who don't work in the tourist industry and so I can understand why they kick out. (Just saying...)

To a born and bred Cornish man there is no such thing as a 'naturalised' Cornishman! Only incomers. Just sayin'...😉
Btw what does PITA mean?

Geoff,

Cornwall And Devon are lovely places. Although it’s a fair old distance for us to get there from Scotland I have done so several times and have enjoyed my time there. But Cornwall without a working community dependent on amongst other things tourism would not be what it is today. You and others who only view Cornwall as a place of retirement would not have many of the facilities that you both need and enjoy. You say you cannot book into campsites without having to book months in advance. Without infiltration from outside Cornwall there would not be many if any campsites. Cornwall is not an island, and neither are any rural locations in our islands. You need visitors in numbers for the very survival of what you take for granted. You also stated that your roads are choked up, having driven your roads I am not surprised, you have some of the worse roads I have ever driven upon. Perhaps instead of blaming the very tourists you need for such issues, you should consider laying the blame on lack of investment on your road network.

I think tourism in this country is seen as the goose that lays golden eggs, especially in a country that seems to be devoid of manufacturing as opposed to service and finance industries.
Places that are attractive will undoubtedly draw large numbers (particularly in the current situation), indeed there there is incessant demand by tourist driven bodies and companies to have visitors. This is not just a UK problem There is a simple choice to be made. Cater for the demand with infrastructure or else stop touting for business and making it possible for people to visit (parking, close accommodation, campsites etc) and live with the consequences. Unless you have moved to an area through direction by an employer then you become part of the problem all year round wether retiring there or owning a second home or a buy to let etc.
I moved from a rural location some years ago to a small seaside resort which explodes during the summer with all the attendant problems, however we factored this into the pros and cons and accept the issue. Solution is to get in the van and go elsewhere and then enjoy the town for 9 quieter months of the year.

Davy

Elephants dancing in Stiletto heels??? Now that would be worth seeing
K 🤣
I have seen a few here,
fat girl.png

Geoff,

Cornwall And Devon are lovely places. Although it’s a fair old distance for us to get there from Scotland I have done so several times and have enjoyed my time there. But Cornwall without a working community dependent on amongst other things tourism would not be what it is today. You and others who only view Cornwall as a place of retirement would not have many of the facilities that you both need and enjoy. You say you cannot book into campsites without having to book months in advance. Without infiltration from outside Cornwall there would not be many if any campsites. Cornwall is not an island, and neither are any rural locations in our islands. You need visitors in numbers for the very survival of what you take for granted. You also stated that your roads are choked up, having driven your roads I am not surprised, you have some of the worse roads I have ever driven upon. Perhaps instead of blaming the very tourists you need for such issues, you should consider laying the blame on lack of investment on your road network.

I would add to that, that if one lives in a beautiful area it is incumbent to be willing to share that beauty with others, especially given that many of them live in towns and cities. Thisyear even more so....

I do reserve my right to have a mutter and moan though when I can't park or some eejit in a shiny range rover refuses to go any where near the hedge when there is clearly enough room to pass!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back