Peterborough Show

Peterborough showground in February! 🥶 No thanks. I hope this is in addition to April show.

Hmm. Would be nice, but jury's out just now on anything much happening at all in February - or even March or April.... :cautious::(

Peterborough is at level 4 at present so not much going on over Christmas. For weeks I have been predicting March before things improve. The vaccine starting to rolling out now will take two or three months to have much affect so I suspect you are correct about February at least. However nobody will be happier than me if I'm wrong and we open up earlier.

Peterborough is at level 4 at present so not much going on over Christmas. For weeks I have been predicting March before things improve. The vaccine starting to rolling out now will take two or three months to have much affect so I suspect you are correct about February at least. However nobody will be happier than me if I'm wrong and we open up earlier.

Hope it goes ahead Richard.

If it does and prospects are better, meet you there?

after a couple of camping visits where i bogged down in april will give camping a miss luckily for me it’s only 3/4 hrs drive so easily done took the grandkids 2019 never again lol

I like your prediction it's earlier than i think

We`ve done Warners Peterborough show many times and had some great weekends there however ....................................

Twice we`ve turned around and drove off after seeing them having to tow motorhomes INTO the showground because the ground was like a mud bath.

It`s bad enough having to be towed out but INTO the show is beyond a joke.

I have driven over most of the showground in various vehicles and not got stuck so far. After saying that, there is a lot of clay soil around these parts and after a few days rain in winter I would not venture onto the grass in a Landrover.

I`ve never been stuck either and whenever i park on grass i always use grip mats even in summer.

A particular C&CC, T.H.S. held on the field behind Bodnant Caravan Park, Llanrwst springs to mind several years back.

When we arrived the grass on the field had not been cut and was very very long although it was bone dry with absolutely glorious sunshine and very warm.

I still got the grip mats out and parked on them, took me a couple of minutes longer than parking up without them.

Quite a few people found it very entertaining and laughed openly, i took not notice.

We was there for the weekend and when we came to leave on the monday morning there had been a ridiculously heavy dew overninght, the grass was dripping.

Many many motorhomes and cars with caravans were really struggling to get going because as soon as the clutches bit their wheels started spinning.

Revving the bollocks off them to get the wheels going as fast as possible like a lot were doing just makes things worse.

The stewards along with a couple of other 4 X 4 owners started towing people off the field.

Then came my turn, i refused the offered tow, i rocked the motorhome with the clutch a few times keeping the wheels on the mats then smoothly drove off.

The momentum i`d created by rocking carried us onto the hardstanding at the entrance to the field where i`d stopped, got out and walked back for the grip mats.

A few people came over and asked if they could borrow the grip mats to which i openly laughed and walked off with mats in hand.

Whilst you can get stuck in deep mud wet grass can be just as bad and once the wheels start spinning you lost the battle.

"A few people came over and asked if they could borrow the grip mats to which i openly laughed and walked off with mats in hand."

Hardly the spirit of things.
I would have allowed myself a smug grin as I watched them grovelling in the wet grass and mud to use them but I would have helped them out.

"A few people came over and asked if they could borrow the grip mats to which i openly laughed and walked off with mats in hand."

I would have allowed myself a smug grin as I watched them grovelling in the wet grass and mud to use them but I would have helped them out.
No need if there are 4x4 's pulling people out they just have to wait their turn - you could be stuck there ages if you started lending them out

No need if there are 4x4 's pulling people out they just have to wait their turn - you could be stuck there ages if you started lending them out
I'm mainly retired so not often in a rush. I could have enjoyed my smug grin for hours and earned lots of favours from new found friends but as we no longer have the Motorhome all a bit academic really.

When I had my Shogun to tow the caravan it was me towing people off wet and muddy THSs. You would not believe how stupid some people can be. Handbrakes left on. Engine off or not in gear. Wheels not facing ahead. It was amazing how entitled people felt they were. Some of them seemed to think that we were paid to tow them. Most were lovely and grateful, but there are always the morons.

Surprises me at times how many people dont even carry a set of jumpleads or tyrepump which i view as essential but that is me and i carry quite a good toolkit on the van anyway

And it`s not exactly " in the spirit of things " to laugh and mock someone who was only doing something to prevent themselves getting stuck.

I carry a manual winch. Sometimes you only have to move a couple of feet to gain traction.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back