Pep talk needed please.

Has anyone suggested keeping a couple of bottles of frozen water in the fridge when you first set off. Especially if it hasn't much in it. It helps keep temps down, and you can drink it when defrosted. Often get bottles of frozen water in France in the supermarket. And if you are staying in a site, they will refreeze your bottles.

I really like this idea, but I'm a little concerned that my beer payload will be dangerously reduced.
I love the thought of buying frozen drinking water from a supermarket, could be handy in a number of different situations.

Hi Lindsay

Hope the issues are getting sorted! If it's any consolation, have a look at the attachment. We paid £80,000 for a brand new MH (yes, really!) to live in full-time and that wasn't without issues. Everything can be fixed eventually! Hang in there.View attachment 67435

Thanks for this! Funnily enough, one of the best things about the Hereford meet (other than getting to nose round so many LOVELY vans) was finding out that everyone had a list of repairs and niggles that was as long as mine!

We have a 110 litre 12v fridge Lyndsey and manufacturer states this can consume 45 amps over 24 hours although we haven’t noticed anything like that yet. Hard to say what it does use but control panel during the day (no other lekky stuff running then) is usually showing around 0.4 and 0.6 amps being used.

We have two of the Bosch 90ah powerframe batteries but I am about to add a third which has been at the back of my mind since I fitted them.

Interesting, so yours is also run exclusively off 12v? How have you been getting on with the Bosch's? Not too well I'm guessing as you've bought another?? I don't have any more room or weight allowance so will have to start looking at reducing power usage if my new batteries don't solve the problem. It's hard to see how though, some days I only use the fridge power and half an hours charging of either laptop or radio.

Interesting, so yours is also run exclusively off 12v? How have you been getting on with the Bosch's? Not too well I'm guessing as you've bought another?? I don't have any more room or weight allowance so will have to start looking at reducing power usage if my new batteries don't solve the problem. It's hard to see how though, some days I only use the fridge power and half an hours charging of either laptop or radio.

The Bosch batteries are fine, I just wasn’t sure if I wanted two or three when I got them, I am trying to get what I will need for winter in France. We just did Thursday to Monday at Burtonwood and while we did get a little sun to replenish I recharged my scooter batteries on the Saturday which pulled it lower than I intended. Was still okay but that made me order the third to give me a bit more capacity. I took 2 x 135ah batteries out when I swapped over do really only going back to what I had, just better batteries :)

Without charging scooter batteries the two Bosch have had no problems with fridge, lights, iPads, phones, watches etc so if you have led lights you should be fine as well. Do you have any solar or are you moving every day or do? I am trying to fit what will do us around 4 days without moving in case we just want to stay put. It doesn’t bother me if I gave to get an aire with hookup or a campsite if necessary though. So far we have not used an invertor but I may use a small one in future, another reason for the extra battery.

I am not against having a generator either if we are going for 6 months and solar and moving doesn’t replenish batteries but no need at present :)

Edit our diesel heater will use battery as well :)

The Bosch batteries are fine, I just wasn’t sure if I wanted two or three when I got them, I am trying to get what I will need for winter in France. We just did Thursday to Monday at Burtonwood and while we did get a little sun to replenish I recharged my scooter batteries on the Saturday which pulled it lower than I intended. Was still okay but that made me order the third to give me a bit more capacity. I took 2 x 135ah batteries out when I swapped over do really only going back to what I had, just better batteries :)

Without charging scooter batteries the two Bosch have had no problems with fridge, lights, iPads, phones, watches etc so if you have led lights you should be fine as well. Do you have any solar or are you moving every day or do? I am trying to fit what will do us around 4 days without moving in case we just want to stay put. It doesn’t bother me if I gave to get an aire with hookup or a campsite if necessary though. So far we have not used an invertor but I may use a small one in future, another reason for the extra battery.

I am not against having a generator either if we are going for 6 months and solar and moving doesn’t replenish batteries but no need at present :)

Edit our diesel heater will use battery as well :)

This is really helpful, and also quite reassuring, thank you. I have two large solar panels but don't know how much power they generate. They are the only thing in the van that doesn't have any paperwork. I am also hoping to spend long periods without moving as I don't have much money for diesel! It would be annoying to have to move every few days if I don't have to.

Pep talk.....

Hi L

I enjoyed (but sympathised) whilst reading this thread....

I joined WC a few years ago and bought a van with the dreams of everything being 'bliss'.....

My 'perfect' van turned out to be a pig and in the end, I got rid and vowed never to partake again.....

A year or so later, having regretted the sale, I relented and bought a new (to me) van and plan to make it work this time.

I'm fortunate in that I've been able to give up work early, however, the thought of being a free spirit, answerable to no bosses, on a day to day basis, is very empowering.

I plan to adopt a 'hybrid' full time approach but still retain my UK home, although I might rent it out.

Your thread has shown me that anything is possible with grit, determination and, not forgetting, the help of the wonderful WC community.

Good luck girl.....

Rob

Hi ya LH,,,
Consider a mini Multi Fuel Stove Or Heater if you can fit on in !...
Stay Positive & Smile !,,,

Hi
Dont know if this helps but when I lost my job because of the need to find "efficiencies" I left a well paid but stressful job and went to be a kitchen porter, they are often in demand. Loved it, like being on the set of Masterchef. So if your moving round and need a few quid you could do worse than the free food, good banter of a pub restaurant, and at the end of the shift theres a pub! Also probably a car park for the van.
Re repairs was planning a self build, didnt as circumstances changed and I ended up buying. But as I did my research found that the self build sites took lots of the mystery out of how things work, gave me some confidence that I could do stuff and that technical things like electrics had a logic that you could get your head around. I also read about people who sounded as unskilled as me but who had managed to pull it off. Thought if they can do it maybe I can, thought that might also apply to DIY.

Anyway good luck, Remember work is very overrated.

By the way, I havnt got a dog, I belong to a cat, tried to get it interested in the van but it just pi$$ed on it so i took that as no.

pep talk

hi if you need help with your mh im on the east coast near hull I would try to help with your problems if I can . good luck and keep smileing
kevin:banana:

Hi
Dont know if this helps but when I lost my job because of the need to find "efficiencies" I left a well paid but stressful job and went to be a kitchen porter, they are often in demand. Loved it, like being on the set of Masterchef. So if your moving round and need a few quid you could do worse than the free food, good banter of a pub restaurant, and at the end of the shift theres a pub! Also probably a car park for the van.
Re repairs was planning a self build, didnt as circumstances changed and I ended up buying. But as I did my research found that the self build sites took lots of the mystery out of how things work, gave me some confidence that I could do stuff and that technical things like electrics had a logic that you could get your head around. I also read about people who sounded as unskilled as me but who had managed to pull it off. Thought if they can do it maybe I can, thought that might also apply to DIY.

Anyway good luck, Remember work is very overrated.

By the way, I havnt got a dog, I belong to a cat, tried to get it interested in the van but it just pi$$ed on it so i took that as no.

One of the best bits of advice I was ever given in a stressful job by a boss who I am still friends with was " you don't need know all the answers ,just where to find them"

The internet is a fantastic resource in that respect especially this site in the main people always ready to help often with a background in that subject

I still haven't replaced my van after it was stolen, and circumstances long term have changed

The experience of full timing for four years the pros and cons of the van, experience picked up working on vans and being paid for it gas qualifications etc a self build is appealing the bits I don't know find those to advise that do, I believe know the shopping list in my head and wish list I can do a better job to suit my needs better than buying off the shelf for a more attractive investment.

Its all one big learning curve and the only pre requisite is a can do be prepared to learn attitude.

Keeps us getting up in a morning

Channa

Hi Lindsey.

I live 5 miles from Huttoft Terrace. lincolnshire and have 50 years of mechanical experience. I also all have an extensive joinery workshop so if you are ever over here at the east coast and need any help, somewhere to park up for a week or so, or a great big sloppy dog to cuddle just call me.

I know it may seem an endless circle of problems at the moment but also remember all is not as bad as it could be.

Motor Home users all seem to be like-minded and have a helpful nature. You are not alone.

Hi
Good point, I worked as a KP when I was younger, and although nowadays, Ive made my way in life, that was the best job I ever had.
Lindsay, Im in the Northwest/North wales till early Nov, then hoping to head to Portugal, if your up this way Id be happy to take a look, esp at the solar, sounds like its not doing its job.
Good luck and keep going with your plans, even though it can be hard after your loss and problems, it does get better.

First of all it was good of you to share your distress on line, it shows a great deal of courage. You have had plenty of good advice, as have I in the past 5 years. I have an old van 23 years old, very simple (like me) so less to go wrong. I don't full time but spend at least 4-5 months of the year pottering about. When you get some of your electric problems sorted I hope you will get to France or Spain, it is so nice over there where they welcome you.

oh I would point you to photo 1839 in your album as a reminder!!!

All the best.

Chin up

We bought a new van and in the first few weeks we had tons of hiccups and like you we were totally fed up but couldn’t give up because we have rented out our home for a year . I promise you it WILL get better just keep plodding on , take the advice that feeds are giving ..... oh and yes we are all mad we full timers but what a story we can tell already. Each day is a new challenge and a new memory , some good , some bad and some breathtakingly wonderful. :wave:QUOTE=LindsayH;956334]I'm really struggling. I've been full time for getting on for 2 months now. Quit job/career after 15 years so I could travel with my dog who died 2 weeks before I left the flat. I've spent my entire savings that I was hoping to travel for a year on fixing things on the van. Everything I touch breaks and everything I try and fix fails. I'm staying at Mum's for 2 days, just popped out to the van and the fridge isn't working (again) and the roof light is leaking. Quite a lot. This is on top of existing power issues that mean I've been managing without lights or any unnecessary power use for the last 2 weeks. Apart from checking a fuse, I have no idea what to do or much money to throw at it. I'm sorry for moaning, but I'm just so fed up. I have no one I can talk to in the real world about it, they all think I'm an idiot for buying the van in the first place. Maybe they are right.....
Can someone please just say something nice to me?[/QUOTE]

just remember why you got a small home in the first place.the adventure ,the freedom.you,l be fine..remember the time when you rode your bike as a child for the first time without help.you,l learn more things as you go along and were alweays here to help if we can...good luck and keep safe

Sounding more positive already, we’ll done.
There is loads of advice and help available here as we have experienced on more than one occasion,
Just detail the issues and talk/ask for help along the way and you’ll be surprised how it works out.
Chin up!!😀

This is an old thread from 2018 and the member hasn't posted for a long time, so you may not get a reply.
I was looking at that earlier Rob but thought shall I tell them or just let the resurrect it in the hope the original poster gets back to them. 😂😂😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back