Pendine sands new Moho facility - How much!!!!!!

.... and if you already own a motorhome, then I guess paying £280 for a week to park it up in a popular tourist area is still a lot cheaper than a holiday cottage in peak season?

And if we're going to be 'staycationing' due to covid for a while longer, then they will easily be able to get away with such fees, unfortunately.

Just a thought.

.... and if you already own a motorhome, then I guess paying £280 for a week to park it up in a popular tourist area is still a lot cheaper than a holiday cottage in peak season?

And if we're going to be 'staycationing' due to covid for a while longer, then they will easily be able to get away with such fees, unfortunately.

Just a thought.
Yeah, you’ve got a point. There’s a holiday cottage near me that in high season is the thick end of £1000 per week. Maybe it’s just my age that thinks £40 a night is outrageous to be able to park near a bog.
I suspect staycationing will be very popular for at least a year to two, I guess we must get used to paying daft charges.

I don’t think there’s any confusion here at all. The local council are not creating a conducive situation for local business to recover from the lockdown. They are probably very greedy and self interested, they have the perfect opportunity to encourage new customers for the local business owners, but all they are doing is making sure that their own trough is full.
I agree that people will go where they choose, but for the typical motorhomer it sounds like it’s a slap in the face. I certainly won’t be visiting until the price is at least halved.
.....but if it is popular local businesses will benefit from the additional footfall and local residents will benefit from the council having an income? How can it be a slap in the face, you and me are not their target market but why is that an insult?

If it was cheaper many members would think it was great but unfortunately it's not so the consensus is that it is crap, I dont think that's fair. Proactive council providing a service where one is lacking, I hope they make some money and use it to benefit the locals and that lots of moho's enjoy their stays

Yeah, you’ve got a point. There’s a holiday cottage near me that in high season is the thick end of £1000 per week. Maybe it’s just my age that thinks £40 a night is outrageous to be able to park near a bog.
I suspect staycationing will be very popular for at least a year to two, I guess we must get used to paying daft charges.
Not rare for holiday cottages to fetch £2-3000 a week, peak season, down here...would be ok if the ratio of holiday lets to permanent lets was more equal and if the holiday cottage owners lived locally and so spent locally. Ho hum...

Until someone holds a gun against my head to stop there I'm not really bothered....

Prices at a lot of places will be going through the roof this year....
And "wild camping" will likely be harder than usual I suspect.

Best get used to it....
I reckon its going to be a bumpy ride getting away for a while yet.

Just a thought.

Exactly!

I have been on many Aires in France that look like that one with separated well spaced out bays. There are some cracking ones. However they range in price from free to maybe a tenner if they provide hookup also. Generally an Aire for about eight to ten quid will include services and probably EHU and will be in a pleasant environment. It does look like its going to be a proper job but as everyone has said, they are way off the mark on the prices. However as others have also said, if people and especially desperate people are prepared to pay it then thats bad news IMO. Prices will get hiked everywhere.

Personally if this year is anything like last year here I may not bother going far in the van again and if I do it will be earlier rather than later providing we are allowed out earlier of course.

If it goes anything like last year when the first lockdown was lifted, you couldn't book a holiday cottage in the UK hotspots for love nor money.

There is massive pent up demand.
Until the virus is under control to the point where it is possible to venture abroad, I believe there will be a certain amount of 'profiteering' going on.

I hear the arguments about businesses having to make up for lost revenue.

Whilst that is a perfectly justifiable argument in one way, it also means that it is highly unlikely that 'inflated' prices to make up for lost 'tourism' business during covid lockdowns will come back down if, or when, we are allowed to travel freely again.

We don't know yet what the final outcome of the virus pandemic will be at this stage, or even if we will actually manage to get on top of it over the next few months/years.

Last edited:
Not rare for holiday cottages to fetch £2-3000 a week, peak season, down here...would be ok if the ratio of holiday lets to permanent lets was more equal and if the holiday cottage owners lived locally and so spent locally. Ho hum...
Ain’t that the truth. Since the popularity of the NC500 took off, investors have been buying cottages here in the far north purely for holiday letting. This has driven prices up dramatically and in so doing priced locals out of the market.

R.O.B.

Work out the acronym for yourself.
I won't spell it out in full, else I'll be back on the naughty step ;) 😁

If further 'aires' are created that follow this example as a blueprint - at least as far as pricing goes - I doubt I will be using them any time soon.

I'll wait until I can get to travel across to Europe instead, thank you very much.

I think it’s simple business Supply & Demand strategy.
Supermarkets & All sorts of businesses do it daily, if the price is to high & it’s not shifting then Reduce it or stick an offer on to find the ‘Sweet Spot’.
If it’s used then they’ve got the price right.

So ultimately it’s up to ‘The Client Base’ 🤷🏻‍♂️

The cost is more than my state pension.... £40 per night...🤬
I wiĺl have to return to robbery to eat.
Is this what the uk is becoming...
I will return to Laugharne where it's free, if I want to revisit the area...

The cost is more than my state pension.... £40 per night...🤬
I wiĺl have to return to robbery to eat.
Is this what the uk is becoming...
I will return to Laugharne where it's free, if I want to revisit the area...
If you mean on the waterfront car park, lovely spot and nice chippy, forget it. Overnights were banned last year. I am advised by SWMBO (who knows everything) that, allegedly, one of the Pendine councillors was involved in that decision also.

The level of infrastructure they are putting in at Pendine shows they have seriously lost the plot. All that kerbing, drainage etc to create 10 "pitches", what they are doing is creating a very mini campsite for which they expect to achieve top dollar. All they needed to do was level, tarmac, white line - could have had more spaces, more vehicles off roads/laybys etc at night for a constantly turning over reasonable sum per night. This won't cut it for probably all of us, but the newly riche, didnt spend any money during covid on foreign holidays, now frightened to leave the country so bought a motor palace, will probably wear it ! If they can navigate to it and park something bigger than their old mini !
Quite possibly anticipating "new money" and million pound Motorhomers.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am wondering how long the “new” Motorhomers will last, there is a great rush to spend money on what is perceived as an idyllic and easy option compared to the present hassle of heading to the sun. However maybe not all the participants who may be used to boutique hotels and spa breaks will be so enamoured with a jolly westerly gale and drizzle on a camp site let alone wilding. Most of us have come into Motorhomes via camping, caravans or boating and have a wish to be self sufficient and, to be honest, at times making the best of it. I remain sceptical that no matter how much money you throw at it if you don’t have the mindset needed then the rosy glow may be short lived. If I am right there could be a few camper vans for sale next year! If I am wrong then our way of enjoying freedom will be under pressure.

Vote with your feet. Most of Europe charge in line with what’s on offer. Been to Aires in France that were free with hook up. As you would expect, we contributed to the local economy with due respect. The French seem to price according to whats on offer. Pont du Gard has a comparably expensive Aire which Is less than desirable, but it’s worth it for what’s on offer.

The Dutch cottoned on to providing motorhome pitches in their marinas. Brilliant idea, all facing the boats like guard dogs and they are so clean.

Over here staycationing is big right now because although we have freedom to motorhome etc and move freely on the island, we can’t do what we really like.....travelling much further afield. Two local outfits, one of them our Ford dealer have bought motorhomes to rent out. £1000/week and they are booked solid six months ahead!

Greed.........such a lovely human trait.

Over here staycationing is big right now because although we have freedom to motorhome etc and move freely on the island, we can’t do what we really like.....travelling much further afield. Two local outfits, one of them our Ford dealer have bought motorhomes to rent out. £1000/week and they are booked solid six months ahead!

Greed.........such a lovely human trait.

Some would call that enterprise, after all nobody is forcing anybody else to hire them.

If I think something is overpriced I simply ignore it as I will the 'Aire' in this thread and the motorhomes for rent at £1000 per week, but if the Ford dealer is making a living out of somebody else's willingness to pay, then good luck to them.

Agreed, but knowing some of the willing punters, I don’t believe they were given fair treatment as far as tuition goes! Then pure profit after a year can’t be bad.......can it?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back