Pendine sands new Moho facility - How much!!!!!!

Ten spaces better than nowt BUT right next to a Static Park so No thanx from us. I imagine new Motorhome owners due to the Pandemic will fill the ten spaces regularly this year as I suppose cheaper than going to Spain i.e Benidorm where they won't be able to go.

I think the problems is "us silver surfers" looked after our money and therefore we class the prices as extortionate . Personally, 2 nights there would pay for our channel tunnel fare and change and of course in France to a Motor Homer the world is your oyster. We have never been on a campsite in this country. In fact we have never been anywhere in this country in the Motor Home. We love to Devon and Cornwall but I will not have my a--e smacked, so we will keep going to France where we can stay at a fantastic aire for 8euros with everything included and where they appreciate us.

I think the problems is "us silver surfers" looked after our money and therefore we class the prices as extortionate . Personally, 2 nights there would pay for our channel tunnel fare and change and of course in France to a Motor Homer the world is your oyster. We have never been on a campsite in this country. In fact we have never been anywhere in this country in the Motor Home. We love to Devon and Cornwall but I will not have my a--e smacked, so we will keep going to France where we can stay at a fantastic aire for 8euros with everything included and where they appreciate us.
I can assure you that the Welsh will appreciate you. Well if not you your money.

I can assure you that the Welsh will appreciate you. Well if not you your money.

oh yes Yaki Da as My Mrs is Welsh and she has appreciated me for a few years and I dare not count the total and she does appreciate my money but to be fair is not a spender or a waster of money BUT as most Swmbo "s she sure knows how to nag and even though she left Wales (Cardiff) nearly 50 years ago the accent comes back to haunt me when I make her cross.;)

Pendine sands is the long firm beach in S Wales famous back in the day for the World land speed record attempts and lately Susan Calman's TV visit. Today it comprises a large static caravan park, a few eateries and a pub. TBH I don't find it particularly picturesque but it's OK for an overnight and the dog loves the beach.
A while ago the local council obtained lottery funding to update visitor facilities to include 10 spaces with basic amenities for motorhomes - essentially an aire. I don't yet exactly know what the amenities are but my best guess is water, waste and sharing toilets with day visitors.
Earlier this week the council voted unanimously on the charges for an overnight stay. They are - wait for it - £30pn off season and £40pn peak season!!!!!!!

This is breaking news and I will update as and when I find out more.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Well, anyone paying for that needs their head examined!!!!

Our x boss just ups his prices 10/20 per cent every three years he has now overpriced his site with other local ones !!! One man last year loved the site was going to bring his grandchildren who live locally. When I said price was go up he was furious and would not be coming back.
He will be ok while we staycation his takings where up last year it’s once we can holiday again that things may change.

The level of infrastructure they are putting in at Pendine shows they have seriously lost the plot. All that kerbing, drainage etc to create 10 "pitches", what they are doing is creating a very mini campsite for which they expect to achieve top dollar. All they needed to do was level, tarmac, white line - could have had more spaces, more vehicles off roads/laybys etc at night for a constantly turning over reasonable sum per night. This won't cut it for probably all of us, but the newly riche, didnt spend any money during covid on foreign holidays, now frightened to leave the country so bought a motor palace, will probably wear it ! If they can navigate to it and park something bigger than their old mini !

Even though I have never in the last 26 years driven abroad and have no real experience of Aires going by the article and the pictures they havent really grasped the idea of an Aire and as others have said it looks like a Mini Campsite with all the investment being put in and will Tuggers be allowed?as surely they wont turn away trade. All Motorhome/Campervans want is a patch of Tarmac Or Grass with Water and Disposal Points , for about £5 to maximum £10 a night no more.

But why would you?
The point I was making was from a value for money angle.
£40 to use a car park with basic toilet facilities, against the use of a car park with the use of a bed room, bathroom, tv, etc. Even if you didn’t want to sleep in a travel lodge and wanted to kip in you van, better at the lodge as you could have decent shower in the morning.

With all the infrastructure going in, it’s starting to look like they are getting confused with traveller sites.
In France, the aire system is paid for through the business rates. In return, the local business owners hope that you will support their local economy, so it becomes a win win situation.
These folk have been awarded some money, and instead of using it to create a favourable situation to support local business, they can only see pound notes in front of their eyes, purely for the benefit of the Council, who will probably control the price to make it cheaper to stay on the local campsite anyway, putting cash straight into somebody’s pocket.

Pendine sands is the long firm beach in S Wales famous back in the day for the World land speed record attempts and lately Susan Calman's TV visit. Today it comprises a large static caravan park, a few eateries and a pub. TBH I don't find it particularly picturesque but it's OK for an overnight and the dog loves the beach.
A while ago the local council obtained lottery funding to update visitor facilities to include 10 spaces with basic amenities for motorhomes - essentially an aire. I don't yet exactly know what the amenities are but my best guess is water, waste and sharing toilets with day visitors.
Earlier this week the council voted unanimously on the charges for an overnight stay. They are - wait for it - £30pn off season and £40pn peak season!!!!!!!

This is breaking news and I will update as and when I find out more.
One that we’ll avoid! We try not to pay any more than £20 a night but look for £15 max usually. That’s outrageous!

These folk have been awarded some money, and instead of using it to create a favourable situation to support local business, they can only see pound notes in front of their eyes, purely for the benefit of the Council, who will probably control the price to make it cheaper to stay on the local campsite anyway, putting cash straight into somebody’s pocket.

Probably a Local Councillor owns the campsites this is usually found to be true.

I've been left a bit confused by this thread. Many members here are pro aires because they want to use them, others because they reduce the strain on wilding locations and then there is an article about a new one and I don't think I read a positive comment. I think it's a positive move in the right direction for acceptance of our hobby by an authority, not ideal granted, but a lot better than a ban.

There are many restaurants that are too expensive and not worth the price in my opinion but others enjoy them and we go where we choose 🤷‍♂️

I've been left a bit confused by this thread. Many members here are pro aires because they want to use them, others because they reduce the strain on wilding locations and then there is an article about a new one and I don't think I read a positive comment. I think it's a positive move in the right direction for acceptance of our hobby by an authority, not ideal granted, but a lot better than a ban.

There are many restaurants that are too expensive and not worth the price in my opinion but others enjoy them and we go where we choose 🤷‍♂️

The main complaints are that if the charges are going to be as high as £30-40 per night it's not really an 'aire', is it?
Looks to me like some extra hardstanding pitches next door to an established caravan park, but I could be wrong.
And it specifically talks about these being pitches for motorhomes, not caravans.

Those prices are essentially what you might pay to stay at a 'proper' bells and whistles campsite, not an "aire".

This is obviously not an "aire" in the continental sense of the word, certainly not from a pricing perspective!
But there will be those who will be prepared to pay these rates to use this "facility', so Tookey is right in that regard.

The main complaints are that if the charges are going to be as high as £30-40 per night it's not really an 'aire', is it?
Looks to me like some extra hardstanding pitches next door to an established caravan park, but I could be wrong.
And it specifically talks about these being pitches for motorhomes, not caravans.

Those prices are essentially what you might pay to stay at a 'proper' bells and whistles campsite, not an "aire".

This is obviously not an "aire" in the continental sense of the word, certainly not from a pricing perspective!
But there will be those who will be prepared to pay these rates to use this "facility', so Tookey is right in that regard.
That is a fair point (y)

I don’t think there’s any confusion here at all. The local council are not creating a conducive situation for local business to recover from the lockdown. They are probably very greedy and self interested, they have the perfect opportunity to encourage new customers for the local business owners, but all they are doing is making sure that their own trough is full.
I agree that people will go where they choose, but for the typical motorhomer it sounds like it’s a slap in the face. I certainly won’t be visiting until the price is at least halved.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back