Parts problems..

chrishunter

I have been informed that peugeot and citroen agents no longer stock parts for vehicles over 10 years old..this can`t be right surely.. Anybody had problems with this.

Thats been the rules for many years in the trade as its what the trading laws requires, unless they go bust or stop importing, I have a Proton savvy style car and they pulled the plug in 2012, parts if any are impossible to get other than break pads and engine parts because it was a renault 4df donkey in it.

Try Dean Hunter at Brotherton.
He specializes in older Peugeot vehicle parts, new & used as well as repairs.

If you like me have space then buy a mot fail or crash unit and strip down and store it for a rainy day.

I went to a Peugot dealer to get a headlight bulb for my wife's 207 - they said it was no longer available!

Went to another garage (not Peugot) up the road and they had it in stock and fitted in minutes.

A couple of years back i needed the metal coolant pipe that runs across the top rear of a Peugeot 2.8 HDi engine because it was unrepairable.

My local dealer laughed when they found out it was over 10 years old and just said ...................................... computer says NO 🤪

Gulp! My 2011 Citroen Picasso is going in for early service and MOT (MOT due 6th March) tomorrow.

I'm fully expecting some work having to be done, but have reasonable faith in this particular old school mechanic getting hold of parts, so hope no problems! :oops: 😓 🤞

Gulp! My 2011 Citroen Picasso is going in for early service and MOT (MOT due 6th March) tomorrow.

I'm fully expecting some work having to be done, but have reasonable faith in this particular old school mechanic getting hold of parts, so hope no problems! :oops: 😓 🤞
IME independent garages will only buy parts from main dealers if there is no other alternatives, and pretty much any replaceable parts are stocked at the local motor factors, also if in the unlikely event it was a main dealer part only, then it's when the model is over 10y.o.

About the only manufacturer that I know that keeps full range of parts going back decades is Briggs & Stratton .
Some older vehicles are reliant on owners clubs for non fastmoving parts . Its going to be lack of some small part that puts otherwise viable vehicles off the road more and more .

Over here folks ditch their cars after 2 years so they wont have to do a mot and also frightened of it breaking down, no one here can fix modern cars, and anyway what would the neighbors think if you did not keep up.

Get yourself a 50+ year old Norton Commando and official, genuine spares have almost 100% availability.

For your 4 wheeler, then any decent motor factor worth its salt will be able to keep you up and running.

The part i`m after is the plastic gear lever sleeve which comes into use when selecting reverse,if i could get one or borrow one i can get one made using 3D printing .

we run a 03 citroen berlingo multispace , local garage has no problems getting parts for it.. parts for most old cars seem to come from motor factors in the town 10 miles away van run out several times a day. his normal plan is do the mots first in morning , order parts for delivery late morning and get the mechanics on the job for retests late afternoon.

we usually retire vehicles when the mot welding gets silly, or repair cost is excessive in relation to replacement cost , parts availability has never been a deciding factor.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back