Parking in Whitby

The main road along the coast is marked as an overnight. I spent a couple of daytime hours there. Looks OK might be a bit noisy. Use the park and ride during the day, it's very good.
The parking near the Abbey ( actually the allotments)is a long way and up a tiny windy road.
We used the park and ride for daytime last time we where at Whitby, but I think it's closed this time of year.

Park anywhere you like in Pickering. Taking an umbrella each, because it never stops raining in Whitby, get the free oldies bus to Whitby which is one of the most scenic bus routes in the UK, officially. There is a pre-recorded commentary as you drift along the countryside. Admire the driver's skills as he takes the bus along a route that you and I wouldn't take a campervan. It passes through Goathland which is the setting for Heartbeat where if you like you can get off and look around at the post office, scripp's garage, and the steam train station.
The bus passes Fylingdales anti-Russia spying station (AKA air traffic control for Europe) and you can spend the day in Whitby and have fish and chips at the officially best chip restaurant anywhere. After Whitby you can go on to Scarborough which is a dump. The reason for going there is the same as the reason for going to London. Every few years you have to go there to remind you of just how much of a dump the place is. Once in Scarborough you can cross the road and get the bus back to Pickering where you can stay more or less anywhere. But the road near the Castle, which is excellent, is wide enough near the castle to park but too narrow to park a motorhome closer to the town. If you are in EH of course, entry to the castle is free.
I have a vague recollection of staying a couple of nights in the Sports Centre car park in Pickering - no problems there at all.
Scarborough was described to me as 'A place where benefit claimants take their kids for a good slap!' (I've cleaned that up a bit!). Only decent bit we found was the fish & chips shop, although the beach looked nice!

We used to go to Whitby every 3 to 4 weeks and spend £100 plus, every time we visited, but now boycott both Whitby and Scarborough, there are plenty of other towns that are thankful for our well earned pennies
Why do you boycott Scarborough?

Years ago we used to overnight in the big car park by the Co-Op and we paid the overnight charge that was due. There were other motorhomes parked there and I never saw an overnight parking ticket in their windows. Same thing happened at the Sea Life Centre in Scabbyborough. Now we have lost both good places. Am I surprised? Certainly not, as a fair few motorhome owners brought it on themselves.

Years ago we used to overnight in the big car park by the Co-Op and we paid the overnight charge that was due. There were other motorhomes parked there and I never saw an overnight parking ticket in their windows. Same thing happened at the Sea Life Centre in Scabbyborough. Now we have lost both good places. Am I surprised? Certainly not, as a fair few motorhome owners brought it on themselves.
May well have been the case but would have assumed they got a PCN ? I got one at 7 on a Sunday morning. Not for failure to buy a ticket . Didn't pay fine , long story
Don't really think failure to purchase a ticket was the reason .

May well have been the case but would have assumed they got a PCN ? I got one at 7 on a Sunday morning. Not for failure to buy a ticket . Didn't pay fine , long story
Don't really think failure to purchase a ticket was the reason .
This was before any enforcement regulations came into force. It was between 10 to 14 years ago.

This was before any enforcement regulations came into force. It was between 10 to 14 years ago.
Yes but , as it was a paying carpark , they'd still be liable for a PCN
Think it was Whitby where council said they had hundreds of complaints, turned out to be three , two from same person .
Whitby exemplified how we are dealt with in UK . Don't deal with problem just ban them

Yes but , as it was a paying carpark , they'd still be liable for a PCN
Think it was Whitby where council said they had hundreds of complaints, turned out to be three , two from same person .
Whitby exemplified how we are dealt with in UK . Don't deal with problem just ban them
I agree with what you say. The few times we stayed there, I cannot recollect seeing any Parking Official checking the Car Park. The problem with Whitby is probably the illegal and bad parking on the streets. Even when we were there (not high season) it was very busy with traffic and people struggling to find a more central parking spot, while at the same time the Co-Op car park was less than half full. That is not unusual in the UK as many people seem very reluctant to walk any distance. :giggle:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back