Parking in Whitby

Nigel L

Planning on spending a few days in the Whitby area next week and looking for any suggestions where would be suitable to park a 6.36m CampEvan.
Has been a few years since we went to Whitby, and seem to remember that Whitby is not known for its love of Campervans/MH’s.
Any pointers much appreciated.
thanks.

Just like Gordon ( Laird ) we like Whitby and we used to go Whitby regularly as it is only a couple of hours away for us but once they decided to go anti motorhome we haven’t been back for a good number of years.
I do believe that now that it is out of season they are allowing motorhomes to park up at the Abby car park which is fine if you are fit enough for the steps

Just like Gordon ( Laird ) we like Whitby and we used to go Whitby regularly as it is only a couple of hours away for us but once they decided to go anti motorhome we haven’t been back for a good number of years.
I do believe that now that it is out of season they are allowing motorhomes to park up at the Abby car park which is fine if you are fit enough for the steps
Yea and the huge Langbourne road carpark will , right now , probably be empty .
Arseholes

I will go to Whitby because I like it. Know the Council don"t like motorhomes/campers but I am equally sure the most of the inhabitants and probably all of the others visitors couldn't give a monkeys.

I will go to Whitby because I like it. Know the Council don"t like motorhomes/campers but I am equally sure the most of the inhabitants and probably all of the others visitors couldn't give a monkeys.
Where do you park ?

All the motorhomes park up at the Abbey car park. We were there a couple of weeks ago. Park on the grass opposite £8 a night I think. It’s a bit uneven and boggy in places and it gets quite full at weekend but handy for the town if you don’t mind the steps. There’s also a great micro brewery/ pub a few hundred yards away. Elsan point in the Marina car park in the town.

All the motorhomes park up at the Abbey car park. We were there a couple of weeks ago. Park on the grass opposite £8 a night I think. It’s a bit uneven and boggy in places and it gets quite full at weekend but handy for the town if you don’t mind the steps. There’s also a great micro brewery/ pub a few hundred yards away. Elsan point in the Marina car park in the town.
Think I read about elsan point previously. Perverse , when we were allowed to park there , they didn't have one

Park anywhere you like in Pickering. Taking an umbrella each, because it never stops raining in Whitby, get the free oldies bus to Whitby which is one of the most scenic bus routes in the UK, officially. There is a pre-recorded commentary as you drift along the countryside. Admire the driver's skills as he takes the bus along a route that you and I wouldn't take a campervan. It passes through Goathland which is the setting for Heartbeat where if you like you can get off and look around at the post office, scripp's garage, and the steam train station.
The bus passes Fylingdales anti-Russia spying station (AKA air traffic control for Europe) and you can spend the day in Whitby and have fish and chips at the officially best chip restaurant anywhere. After Whitby you can go on to Scarborough which is a dump. The reason for going there is the same as the reason for going to London. Every few years you have to go there to remind you of just how much of a dump the place is. Once in Scarborough you can cross the road and get the bus back to Pickering where you can stay more or less anywhere. But the road near the Castle, which is excellent, is wide enough near the castle to park but too narrow to park a motorhome closer to the town. If you are in EH of course, entry to the castle is free.
I have a vague recollection of staying a couple of nights in the Sports Centre car park in Pickering - no problems there at all.

During the day we parked on north Promenade, where there is "chargeable" parking near the town, limited parking further away and I think, unlimited parking a bit further away. Because the lift to the beach has been closed, there was a free shuttle bus when we were there in September.

I'm a bit unsure about the comment re Scarborough: parking along Royal Albert Drive and Marine Parade is permitted overnight and a CDP has been installed. Being a bit of a FLT I usually park on Queens Parade where there are multiple "disc parking" area where you can enjoy great views foc then move to the next one when your 2h are up!
There was also on-street parking near Peasholm Park with no restrictions.
Esplanade, near the Italian Gardens, was foc all day last time we were there.

Gordon

There is a big difference between nowhere to park and not being able to park just where you want which seems to be the real complaint. There are loads of places to park in Whitby should you choose to look beyond the harbour or West Cliff.
If anyone puts a location on a forum it is immediately inundated with vans. Especially in popular areas.

Such as this caused the clampdown. Just like Skipton is being abused at the moment.

Where do you park ?
Cant remember the name of the car park but its the one next to the Public information both, quite large and there s plenty of space, its only a short walk to the harbour and there are some boats repair places behind the car park.

Cant remember the name of the car park but its the one next to the Public information both, quite large and there s plenty of space, its only a short walk to the harbour and there are some boats repair places behind the car park.
Sounds like the car park at Langbourne road . We were stopped from overnighting there some time ago , I thought ?

Yes I think that’s it. We only stop during the day though not overnight.

Planning on spending a few days in the Whitby area next week and looking for any suggestions where would be suitable to park a 6.36m CampEvan.
Has been a few years since we went to Whitby, and seem to remember that Whitby is not known for its love of Campervans/MH’s.
Any pointers much appreciated.
thanks.
Some years since we went to Whitby, but we did freepark for a couple of nights, can't remember exactly but it was high up and certainly not level, possibly North Terrace, we parked facing the harbour (not in view i think) there was a dead end turning on our left just to our left.

The main road along the coast is marked as an overnight. I spent a couple of daytime hours there. Looks OK might be a bit noisy. Use the park and ride during the day, it's very good.
The parking near the Abbey ( actually the allotments)is a long way and up a tiny windy road.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back