Pandemic vs the British Pub

Has anyone ever tried filling the void in a keg with different gas that won't make it go off?
Co2
20210209_205112.jpg

Has anyone ever tried filling the void in a keg with different gas that won't make it go off?

I seem to remember Flyby Paul trying to fill the golf club bar at Rutland with a different gas which did make the beer go off.

No problem Rob will keep an eye out for a tap, i bought my bottle think it was £60 full and each re-fill from now on is £5 which will last me 8/9 months and that is also carbonating the beer when kegging. Just enjoying a pint at the moment.😂

I'll need to speak with you nearer the time when my bar's set up Sam regarding a gas bottle/corny keg setup.
Another way to go is by using a Hambleton valve fitted into the corney keg lid, then use the filler adapter onto a soda stream bottle. Each fill of the bottle is between £11 /£14 so not that cost effective. If you can justify the outlay ( i heard a rumour you like a drink) take the route of a primary and secondary regulator for your gas. Speak to your friendly landlord he may have spare regulators lying around.

Another way to go is by using a Hambleton valve fitted into the corney keg lid, then use the filler adapter onto a soda stream bottle. Each fill of the bottle is between £11 /£14 so not that cost effective. If you can justify the outlay ( i heard a rumour you like a drink) take the route of a primary and secondary regulator for your gas. Speak to your friendly landlord he may have spare regulators lying around.

Yeah I don't mind a quick half at Christmas or on birthdays Sam.

I think I will go the primary/secondary valve route and buy a new corny. I was thinking maybe a 34kg cylinder - how long would that last?

Cheers

That is a Guinness or stout mix of gas .

I only bled it in to the top of the barrel to allow beer to be drawn via the hand pump without causing a vacuum...

Anything like positive pressure risked blowing beer past the hand pump (same as if barrel is above pump height)

Kept it fresh for long enough for me to finish a 72 pinter. (not that took too long)

So, politicians v scientists.....pubs open for Easter or after ???? That is the question !!! Here's my view...the beer loving man in me wants a pint of hand-pulled real ale in a pub as soon as possible....but the sensible man in me says no no no ... definitely not for Easter !! Can you imagine the utter chaos and mayhem that would ensue as a result !! Remember that day on Bournemouth beach, so think of hundreds of thousands of Stella-swilling hooligans rampaging the streets from pub to pub coz they've been let loose (even with social distancing...yeah right) !!!!!! So, keep pubs closed till after Easter me thinks....in fact another week later....8th March when the kids start going back....or even when retail opens so that people are returning to work from furlough. I'm sure the hospitality sector will not be too keen on my plan though...but it might prevent chaos and a second lockdown. Apart from that, I don't want my first pint in weeks spilt in the rush LOL !!!
What do you reckon...me sensible or kill-joy ??? Maja

So, politicians v scientists.....pubs open for Easter or after ???? That is the question !!! Here's my view...the beer loving man in me wants a pint of hand-pulled real ale in a pub as soon as possible....but the sensible man in me says no no no ... definitely not for Easter !! Can you imagine the utter chaos and mayhem that would ensue as a result !! Remember that day on Bournemouth beach, so think of hundreds of thousands of Stella-swilling hooligans rampaging the streets from pub to pub coz they've been let loose (even with social distancing...yeah right) !!!!!! So, keep pubs closed till after Easter me thinks....in fact another week later....8th March when the kids start going back....or even when retail opens so that people are returning to work from furlough. I'm sure the hospitality sector will not be too keen on my plan though...but it might prevent chaos and a second lockdown. Apart from that, I don't want my first pint in weeks spilt in the rush LOL !!!
What do you reckon...me sensible or kill-joy ??? Maja

I can't wait to get back in the pubs Mark but I think after the initial rush a lot of people will realise how cheaply they have been drinking at home and once they are allowed to have guests at home, parties at home will become more the norm.

I can see quite a lot of pubs closing (hence this thread) so for those that remain the customer base would need to be thinned out anyway so that they are not overwhelmed by the clientele from those that have closed. I could be wrong though.

A lot depends on vaccinations I suppose and where we are with it by Easter. For me though, I'm not that keen on a limited opening with curfews and social distancing in the pubs. I'd rather wait until we can do it properly and just get our snouts in the trough.

Myself, my husband and friend are a band and we play in pubs. (We both have motorhomes and love the life).
we honestly don’t know how many of our regular bookings will survive. We’ll definitely still be supporting our pubs though. We’ve talked about maybe reducing our fee (it wasn’t huge to begin with) until the pubs can recover somewhat.
Either way. If we’re not playing we’ll be away in our vans eating and drinking as soon as we can! We bought a newer van in November and haven’t been able to go away in it yet. We’re chomping at the bit! 😆

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back