Pandemic vs the British Pub

The last pint i bought , was in a Marston's pub in Altrincham, over a year ago.
Welles Bombardier, if my memory is correct.
£ 5.20 for the first and only pint.
If I'd known it was going to be my last, I'd have maybe thought twice about turning down another.
How much would a similar cask beer cost now ?

One pub just up the hill from us has been doing takeaway/delivery food throughout.

I hope they survive. It used to be a tenanted pub, but the current people bought it outright so it is free trade.
Hopefully more of the free trade pubs will be able to weather the storm and regain business when able to open up again.

The pub companies have never really given a hoot about their properties or any tenants.
They win out either way, so why should they care? It's all about the money.

If I'd known it was going to be my last, I'd have maybe thought twice about turning down another.

I was only paying about £3.50 for Bombadier Paul. Most lagers around 4 quid now around here though, not that I drink lager.

I'll be happy to start using pubs again, that are happy for me to park overnight in their carpark. I've thought for a long time now that the pub trade is overpriced & overrated, but happy to park for a night & have a meal or a few drinks.
Gotta say tho, 4quid for a pint of coke? WTF's that all about....🤔

The Bhurtpore sells excellent bitter for £3.50 to £4.20 depending on gravity. The really strong ales @ 11% plus cost about £6. Nibbles are from large jars and a tumbler full cost £2.00

Oh gawd, I'm missing the pub right now.😢

Wouldn’t know if any of the pubs went out of business, we very rarely go in any of them, and when we do it’s cos we’re out for a meal (rare treat).

Fortunately still a few old school pubs around here, £3.20 a pint, but it will be John Smiths or similar, 3.40 to 3.60 for a Guinness.
Rest are all gastro or trying to be gastro style pubs, I can’t stand them, I’m out to drink and I don’t want some toff trying to stuff their deep fried gorgonzola and fig flavoured polenta chips down their gob while I’m drinking. Even worse these are the same rude people who continue to eat while I’m smoking a fag. Pints in those pubs are pushing £6, I’ll stick with the rough and ready booza thanks.

Fortunately still a few old school pubs around here, £3.20 a pint, but it will be John Smiths or similar, 3.40 to 3.60 for a Guinness.
Rest are all gastro or trying to be gastro style pubs, I can’t stand them, I’m out to drink and I don’t want some toff trying to stuff their deep fried gorgonzola and fig flavoured polenta chips down their gob while I’m drinking. Even worse these are the same rude people who continue to eat while I’m smoking a fag. Pints in those pubs are pushing £6, I’ll stick with the rough and ready booza thanks.
Gastro pubs lol, we just like good ‘ole fashioned grub, and some may scoff (get the joke 😂) but my favourite is Toby Carvery, but not when there’s lots of little darlings running around.

The Bhurtpore sells excellent bitter for £3.50 to £4.20 depending on gravity. The really strong ales @ 11% plus cost about £6. Nibbles are from large jars and a tumbler full cost £2.00

Oh gawd, I'm missing the pub right now.😢
So am I, Mate..
That one, particularly.
' Appen later..
Keep it going til we can get back.

I was only paying about £3.50 for Bombadier Paul. Most lagers around 4 quid now around here though, not that I drink lager.
£3.50... ?
No wonder, with all the flood water you have nearby, Rob.
Your probably drinking some of it ?

I'll be happy to start using pubs again, that are happy for me to park overnight in their carpark. I've thought for a long time now that the pub trade is overpriced & overrated, but happy to park for a night & have a meal or a few drinks.
Gotta say tho, 4quid for a pint of coke? WTF's that all about....🤔

Yes, pubs are a big part of wildcamping for me. Mutually beneficial.

Not just pints of coke either, mixers are a big earner as well.

Don’t watch them but how the hell are they going to film an episode of Eastenders or coronation street with the pubs shut that lot seem to spend 90% of there life’s in the pub. A mate of mine owns a couple of really old pubs he was the drummer in a famous band and invested heavily in these places now he's saying he’s out and gonna try and develop the sites to recover some of his losses. It’s gonna be a different world after this crap

I have just received the monthly email newsletter from Britstops. It includes the following paragraph:-

"Despite the difficult situation for those in the hospitality industry over the last year, after spending a couple of months phoning and emailing our hosts, we’re pleased to report that our fears for massive numbers of closures did not materialise! There are always closures though, but in the end it was a similar amount as in previous years. In addition, we’ve had a really healthy number of new recruits so Brit Stops 2021 will have more hosts than last year."

SWMBO is in a couple of Facebook motorhoming groups. Spurred on by the pandemic, it seems that many more pubs are promoting overnight stops, once we are set free that is.

£3.50 a pint sounds like a real bargain to me. £4.50 is the lower end price for a cask ale around here. God knows what it costs in the tourist pubs in Old Portsmouth but they all have a mortgage broker at the door. No wonder 'Spoons is doing such good business. Has anyone stayed in one of their hotels?

£3.50 a pint sounds like a real bargain to me. £4.50 is the lower end price for a cask ale around here. God knows what it costs in the tourist pubs in Old Portsmouth but they all have a mortgage broker at the door. No wonder 'Spoons is doing such good business. Has anyone stayed in one of their hotels?

I haven't stayed in one but apparently they are building one in our local town and closing down the existing one.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back