Pandemic vs the British Pub

Robmac

I know many will regard this as trivial, but then again the British pub is a huge part of our culture (certainly mine).

I got a 'phone call last night from the landlord of my local. He just wanted to assure me that once this is over he will be open for business as normal, wish me well and hoped to see me in the near future. (I must be paying for his holidays or something!).

But many pubs around me are struggling to outlive the pandemic and I know of at least 2 that won't be re-opening and will be sorely missed. I expect there will be more. Many spent a lot of money introducing distancing measures such as more tables and shelters outside only to find that it was money wasted.

I also feel that there will be a knock on effect in that people have got used to drinking at home for far less money than they spend in pubs, maybe they will carry on?

Yes, I know that many businesses have suffered and this pales into insignificance compared to the amount of people who have died. But as I said, it is a huge part of our culture and a big part in returning back to normal social activities - any comments regarding your own area?

The landlord of the tiny pub in the village is busy painting the inside ready for when he can reopen. He runs the pub with no other staff. Only open Wed to Sun evenings. He's coping fine.
There are 4 pubs in Biggar. One is fully closed and the other three are doing good trade on takeaway food. They will all probably survive.

Too many pubs were closing pre-pandemic, now the pandemic has just accelerated even more pub closures. All a bit depressing really.

If High Street shopping falls into decline the way it's predicted then city centre pubs will really struggle.

Our local will survive because it has a loyal community and it attracts the Camra crowd from afar.

Too many pubs were closing pre-pandemic, now the pandemic has just accelerated even more pub closures. All a bit depressing really.

If High Street shopping falls into decline the way it's predicted then city centre pubs will really struggle.

Our local will survive because it has a loyal community and it attracts the Camra crowd from afar.

I agree Ral, I noticed a lot of country pubs were turning into Indian or Chinese restaurants or being pulled down for housing estates. Breweries have a lot to answer for as they are finding that the real estate value is outweighing the profits in some cases, but I suppose business is business.

My Local also attracts the CAMRA crowd and it's a haven for me as it is one of the few old traditional pubs left.

...It's the banter and piss taking I miss too.

Yes, I got some of that on the 'phone with the landlord last night.

We've got a few wind ups planned for him when they reopen. First one is that he has got a thing about the bar stools being in the right places at the bar. As soon as he goes into the kitchen we're going to remove them and all of the other chairs and chuck them outside and see how long it takes him to notice.

Another mate said he has something planned for the gents, but I didn't want to know about that.

I do feel sorry for the pub trade after all they've done to keep people safe with partitioning and table service. Most of the wet trade pubs around me thought up ways of providing food to keep open but I fear many of the corner pubs in towns, with their distinctive glazed tile frontages, will become flats as so many already have.

I do feel sorry for the pub trade after all they've done to keep people safe with partitioning and table service. Most of the wet trade pubs around me thought up ways of providing food to keep open but I fear many of the corner pubs in towns, with their distinctive glazed tile frontages, will become flats as so many already have.

Fully agree another pub I frequent spent an absolute fortune on making things safe. I felt a lot safer in there than going shopping that's for sure!

There are a lot near us that were struggling before, so the future doesn't look good for them. Most have turned to food and the traditional bar area is very small.

There are a lot near us that were struggling before, so the future doesn't look good for them. Most have turned to food and the traditional bar area is very small.

I think 'spoons hit a lot of them Chris.

Not something I'd like to be starting out at now.

And because you live 50 yards away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back