Pandemic vs the British Pub

Robmac

๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Tookey

The future could be virtual pub! Put those headsets on and wander around the living room talking shite then throw up on the carpet and have a virtual fight after someone knocks over your virtual pint. Its the future. All within the safety of your home. You could even have a virtual chat up programme so as you get more drunk, the virtual women, men, sheep, whatever looks more attractive through clever programming and you could chat up that stunner.

Well its time for my medication.
Obviously your comment is exaggerated for fun but I think you prediction is correct. Today's youth in years to come will visit the pyramids, ski the Alps and will visit famous bars all from their arm chair in a very realistic manner. The virtual tours you can go of galleries etc are already good and the programming is just going to get better and better.

Especially fantastic for those housebound!

Fisherman

How typically British the pub is, and this the 84th post on the topic shows how we feel about our bars and pubs.
I remember in the 70s in Normandy my cousin and I could not find a bar. Eventually we found a cafe that sold beer. Well we sat down and at around 8pm the cafe owner told us ferme, ferme. Now my French was basic then but even I knew that it was closing time at 8, and this was a cafe not a bar.
Even in the US they donโ€™t have the same pub culture, it really is a British institution.

As for the high street, well a combination of the internet, local authority greed and short sighted stupidity has all but finished of the high street, and this death of the high street, is now starting to happen in our shopping centres. Take Glasgow, with the city centre on its knees, the famous sauchiehall street turning into a retail desert, what do glasgow city council do, increase car parking charges. :mad:
You couldnโ€™t write the script.

mariesnowgoose

This pub isn't that far from us and was saved from closure by the community https://whitelionash.co.uk/our-story. Been there a few times and it's a little belter, proper country pub interior, warm welcome, well kept ales, good reasonably priced food and a community that cares.

Not rocket science is it?

No it isn't, Ral.

I think community pubs and free houses stand a chance of survival.
All down to who's involved in operating them, like any enterprise.

antiquesam

I feel rather guilty in so far as there are five pubs within a quarter of a mile of my home of thirty years and I haven't been in any of them, over that period there has been another four closed and demolished. I have been in all the closed ones so on reflection perhaps I'm doing those still open a favour.

barryd

Some of the pubs up here in the Dales have done alright during lockdown. A few were just delivering everything they sold in the pub from snacks to beer to food. One pub I know of delivers 5.5 pints in a box for a tenner of proper draught beer or lager as well as spirits, wine and meals. Most of them have been doing takeaways. Our own village pub shut down a couple of years ago. It was a restaurant really with a fantastic reputation but they had just had enough and wanted to do something else. Its a house now which means Im pretty stuffed now unless I drive or get driven (always a sore point)

I did miss the Christmas booze up with my old pals in Darlo though. Thats always a good laugh. You do need a good crowd for a pub booze up I think.

Steve and Julie

I'm a camra member and in Chorley were lucky to have 6 micro bar's all selling a good selection of real ales and most charging ยฃ2.50- ยฃ3.50 I'm hoping most will reopen plus we have a decent weather spoon with pints priced at ยฃ.179 I think in total Chorley has at least 20 real ale bar's including the surrounding villages so I'm very lucky

Robmac

I'm a camra member and in Chorley were lucky to have 6 micro bar's all selling a good selection of real ales and most charging ยฃ2.50- ยฃ3.50 I'm hoping most will reopen plus we have a decent weather spoon with pints priced at ยฃ.179 I think in total Chorley has at least 20 real ale bar's including the surrounding villages so I'm very lucky

You are indeed lucky.

What are house prices like? :giggle:

antiquesam

To be honest it's the price of a pint that has turned me to wine. A pint at ยฃ4.50 or a supermarket bottle of wine at ยฃ5/6 and it lasts longer. Two bottles of wine or three pints and you're closer to your bed hic.

Robmac

Don't get too excited, if I remember correctly the Chorley Spoons also has a need for a doorman.........although I suspect that a refined Gentleman such as yourself was after the micro breweries

Yeah, not a spoons man really.

Although I did work as a nightclub doorman once. Might just be a little long in the tooth for it now though!

Wully

Right now Iโ€™d pay What ever they wanted. A good lock in in my favourite wee pub in Aberfeldy big fire roaring and a sing song wae the locals who will keep the pub open all night as long as you get them a dram every other round. If Carlsberg made a pub that would be it.

barryd

I dunno what I would drink now in the pub. Well wine probably. I pretty much stopped drinking beer about two years or so ago when I realised it was a real trigger for gout but being a serial piss head I couldnt give up drinking so moved onto Scotch and Wine although someone sent me several bottles of Jamesons recently so Im stuck into that now. Lovely. Who the hell could put up with Pub measures though now after lockdown measures though? ๐Ÿฅด

The last time I went out for our Christmas do we were in a real ale bar in in Darlo and ordering bottles of Shiraz each instead of pints!

2cv

How typically British the pub is, and this the 84th post on the topic shows how we feel about our bars and pubs.
I remember in the 70s in Normandy my cousin and I could not find a bar. Eventually we found a cafe that sold beer. Well we sat down and at around 8pm the cafe owner told us ferme, ferme. Now my French was basic then but even I knew that it was closing time at 8, and this was a cafe not a bar.
Even in the US they donโ€™t have the same pub culture, it really is a British institution.

As for the high street, well a combination of the internet, local authority greed and short sighted stupidity has all but finished of the high street, and this death of the high street, is now starting to happen in our shopping centres. Take Glasgow, with the city centre on its knees, the famous sauchiehall street turning into a retail desert, what do glasgow city council do, increase car parking charges. :mad:
You couldnโ€™t write the script.

Sadly the LEZ coming to Glasgow will also kill the entertainment venues.

trevskoda

I dunno what I would drink now in the pub. Well wine probably. I pretty much stopped drinking beer about two years or so ago when I realised it was a real trigger for gout but being a serial piss head I couldnt give up drinking so moved onto Scotch and Wine although someone sent me several bottles of Jamesons recently so Im stuck into that now. Lovely. Who the hell could put up with Pub measures though now after lockdown measures though? ๐Ÿฅด

The last time I went out for our Christmas do we were in a real ale bar in in Darlo and ordering bottles of Shiraz each instead of pints!
Sorry but folk drinking to that extent where they need it, then its time for a wee talk with the GP, lost some old school friends to i just want/need a couple, and one at the moment drying out, last pint/can i had was two or three years back.

barryd

Sorry but folk drinking to that extent where they need it, then its time for a wee talk with the GP, lost some old school friends to i just want/need a couple, and one at the moment drying out, last pint/can i had was two or three years back.

It was Christmas, our annual old pals booze up. The drink always flows, its once a year not every night!

Robmac

You're fooling nobody Trev. You've probably done half a bottle of Jamesons after dinner.

Bet you've got a pouch of baccy stashed somewhere too! :giggle:

Steve and Julie

Don't get too excited, if I remember correctly the Chorley Spoons also has a need for a doorman.........although I suspect that a refined Gentleman such as yourself was after the micro breweries
Only on Friday and Saturday nights because it's a night club I've left well before that happens only went in during day time normally a quick pint after work

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)