Overfilled Gas?

Asterix

Free Member
My 7kg Calor butane ran out yesterday so I got a replacement from a local garage,when I hooked it up the gas was coming out of the hob so fast it was blowing out some of the jets and relighting constantly. If I lowered the control slightly it burned a bit more evenly but if I turned to the lowest setting it just goes out. Not seen this before but it just seems like a lot more pressure than usual,does that sound like it's been over filled?

My 7kg Calor butane ran out yesterday so I got a replacement from a local garage,when I hooked it up the gas was coming out of the hob so fast it was blowing out some of the jets and relighting constantly. If I lowered the control slightly it burned a bit more evenly but if I turned to the lowest setting it just goes out. Not seen this before but it just seems like a lot more pressure than usual,does that sound like it's been over filled?
Sounds like your regulator is up the creek

As green grass says its nothing to do with the cylinder its your regulator thats faulty.
The regulator reduces the cylinder pressure to 30mbar, yours is not doing so.
I always carry a spare as I have experienced the same problem. You will need a 30 mbar regulator with appropriate fittings.
You should find this inside your cylinder cupboard.

The reality is the issue could be both spare regulator would be handy ...normally if a bottle is overfilledvthe flames on the hob hover and. Normally settles Down as the pressure equalisers.Current standard is a 30 Mubarak of a regulator if you need to use the 28 with bar in the short term it won’t do any harm to get you out of trouble and the fittings are the same as the 30

Any vote for getting another regulator (or at least borrowing one)

I had the same problem last year after filling my bulk tank at a local service station, when I lit the gas rings the flame was very fierce so suspecting that I had over filled I lit all four rings but turned them down as far as they would go, ten minutes later it was still the same so I switched everything off including the tank, I decided to leave it until the next day to investigate further, the next day I lit a gas ring again and it was a perfect nice blue flame so I then tried the fridge and water heater, both lit straight away and I never had the problem again

And it you carry a spare, then you will never need it !

How very, very true (y)

That`s exactly what i did after my second ( within 12 months ) bulkhead regulator failed as we arrived at the Peterborough motor show.

I went back to the on bottle regulator and bought 2 so i had a spare to be on the safe side.

That was back in 2008, the spare is still in its box today in the gas locker exactly where i put it way back then.

I changed the set up slightly when i went over to re-fillables and use a UK POL / W20 adapter which is fixed to the top of the gas locker so it`s higher than the outlets on the gas bottles.

Twin.jpg

I've just made a brew and the flame seems to have settled quite a bit to what it was yesterday,still a bit faster than usual but it's not blowing out jets anymore,I would be sceptical of it being the regulator as it was working fine until I changed bottles. A couple of years ago I put on a new bottle and it completely refused to light at all,I took it back and after a bit of argument they swapped it and the replacement worked perfectly,I suspect Calor bottles aren't completely without their foibles.

If bottle was in sunlight prior to connecting it will increase pressure not sure of effect on regulator
Minimal gas expa ding in the pipes is the one that can be foxing.disguises itself as a regulator letting by.t

The reason for 85% fill limit is that if you manage to get liquid gas at your burner you will have a VERY LARGE flame.
I saw a safety demonstration of this many years ago. 2 meter flame from a small blow torch!
Not a good idea in a van from your hob.
Luckily this is extremely unlikely.
I've never heard of it happening, you would need to get liquid past the regulator.

Surely the reason for the 85% fill limit, is to allow room for the liquid to turn to gas?

Its the same here if a new calor bottle is fitted to a superser heater,first few mins it is almost imp to light the bu--er,next day ok or if some liq gas allowed to escape.

Last edited:
It's all back to normal today although the flame is completely blue,not sure what that signifies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back