Overcab Bed

Swiftly back on topic.

I looked at a youtube vid of the van you are buying. It looks like a transverse double as opposed to a lengthways. This could make a difference, especially for the person sleeping at the front of the van as it could become a little claustrophobic?

Has anyone any experience of changing the Gas Struts on such a pull down bed? I really could do with some advice right now :(

Changed mine for stronger ones as I thought they were a bit weak, lower the bed so the rams are fully expanded, then lift bed very slightly, use rachet straps to hold in a slightly compressed position remove the rams and refit remember to prime the new rams to remove any air by working a couple of times before fitting, andy

Our MH has 2 single beds , can watch a bit of telly in bed ,no problems doing the toilet run ,one can stay in bed while the other makes breakfast, roll up the duvalys sorted .2 old for night gymnastics.

Oh Dear !

Our MH has 2 single beds , can watch a bit of telly in bed ,no problems doing the toilet run ,one can stay in bed while the other makes breakfast, roll up the duvalys sorted .2 old for night gymnastics.

Maybe you do during the day !

I have the larger dethleff van with same bed at front over cab. we also have a large fixed bed to rear my daughter uses over cab bed but there's room for two adults comfortabley and folds away easy on gas shocks when bed is down you still have use of lounge area as bed is mostly over dash this system gives loads of options and you don't have the massive bulge in roof that kills fuel consumption. The van your looking at is a great. Fuel economy great for size of van

Love the overcab.Had them in both previous vans and a priority when choosing our next one.Like the feeling of going upstairs to bed.Has it's disadvantages too i.e. Not a lot of headroom and bit of a pain when you need to pee but in my opinion a small price to pay for not having to make beds up or losing half the floor space to a fixed bed.

Might be worth a PM to Leelinda on this forum.

They have a Pilote with a pull down bed, and Lee is 6" 7', they cope pretty well. They are also very approachable/helpful.

We have a Pilote with a drop down bed with a good mattress and foam topper, at the moment we have a thick duvet and fold up quite easily. The bed is kept made up and when needed we just fold down the back of the front seats and pull it down. We don't use a ladder, I just step onto the side seats. As Rob said Lee is 6'7" and I have a painful knee, both of us are retired (65+) and cope very well.

We love this layout as it gives us so much living space.

Only draw back is if I need to get up in the night I have to wake Lee ......

Have an A class Rapido with drop down bed. Had it for 4 years when we downsized from an Elddis 180. Have no issues with getting up at night as easy to step onto bench and down. Can sit up to read or watch the tv and in the morning the ready made bed goes up into the roof. This makes a 6m motorhome seem a lot bigger. If we replace would get another similar

So, my over cab bed was getting hard to lift up so I bought replacement Gas Struts but on taking one off today I today, I now see it more due to the added weight of the Memory Foam Topper, than failing struts.

The current ones are 800n, so I am now wondering about replacing them with 1700n ones

Any advice, guidance or experience, anyone would like to share ?

It is a Weinsberg Komet (similar to a Hymer 544)

Thanks

Ed

we have a 544 with the newer cantilever spring rather than the hydraulic rams , most people carry spares as they frequently failed when we were in france with joy zig zag the pivot bolts on her 584 had gone quite a herculean feat to replace them ,
we have had an overcab bed first van never used the overcab got seduced by the panoramic skylight in a fixed bed and bought that finally got a drop down bed , all motorhoming is compromise the drop down bed is perfection in that field,

Our Holdsworth Valentine special VW has an over head cab/bed, when out with the other half we use it as storage great place to store the mountain bike, but when on my own use the overhead cab better for moving on quickly if need be, and no bed to put away “Horses for courses” I would say.

Due to total lack of storage in the Dethleffs we are now looking at a 2011 Hymer B544, once again with only a drop-down over cab bed. Anyone have any experience of this one?

Fixed V Pull Down

Anybody have any thoughts on a MH that only has an overcab bed please? We are currently looking at a Detheleffs globebus i5 which only has an overcab bed and it doesn't look particularly comfortable to me, especially if you wanted to sit up and read. Or am I missing the point? We have been used to a Chausson with a fixed rear transverse bed and that suited us fine.

We have a Hymer B584 with a pull down bed. Having hired a motorhome with a fixed French bed before we purchased the Hymer. The Hymer bed has a tempora style memory foam mattress and is very comfortable. I think of it this way, there is the inconvenience of climbing over someone to get out of bed or there is the inconvenience of driving and parking a vehicle that's 1.5 longer for the same usable space. For us the Hymer at 6.1 metres was an easy choice.

We use the over cab in our Hymer all the time. It is large and comfortable :) Getting in/out gets easier/quicker with practice. We don't even bother with the ladder now :D

Keith

We love the drop down bed on our Hymer B564. However I think this thread is about overcab beds - those big boxes above the cab in coachbuilt mohos. The A-Class drop down bed is much easier to get into as it is so much lower and it has more height when it is down than an overcab bed. We think this is a good compromise between the fixed bed which takes up a lot of space and means a longer van and the cramped overcab beds of a coach built.

Rob, is quite right, pull down , jump in, simplz

Our drop down, a-class, bed is left made up. Also it drops down over the cab seats and does not intrude on the rest of the van at all. Plenty of head room and easy to get in and out. We do not use our ladder at all these days. Downside is that you can't use it unless parked up and then it blocks the cab seats and the windscreen. It is a very efficient use of space.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back