Origin of nicknames.

Went to amateur boxing when I was young. Cocky as hell I got picked to spar wae a wee guy they called Domestos about four foot nothing and built like a sparrow anyway he had me on my back within 10 seconds then again as soon as I got up. I was set up a peach Domestos was a champion boxer. His name Domestos kills all known germs. Lesson learned always respect the wee guy.

Last edited:
Fans of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy might appreciate this, called a friend John the Vogon because the only way to get a drink out of a Vogon is to stick your fingers down his throat

No surprise that I knew that already !

Did he write poetry ?

I worked with a guy called Slasher. Not because he carried a knife but because he had a habit of p1ssing himself when he was drunk.
Mate had a girlfriend who often lost control of her bladder when having sex .
Her name was Tricia , you can guess the rest

When i was serving my time in the foundry back in the early 70`s the guy that worked the large resin machine was a big West Indian built like a brick shithouse.

Everyone called him Sammy Sambo.

I asked him one day if he minded being called Sammy Sambo and he answered ....................................................

You whities cannot pronounce my proper name correctly so Sammy Sambo is fine by me.

It was a different world then.

A couple more; this time from the 1970s Plymouth folk music scene:
  • "Jungles": who thought he was being compared to Tarzan, but it really meant, "green, wet and dense".
  • "Harpic": who thought that came from her obsession with cleanliness, but it was really because she drove us clean around the bend.

I've got a mate we call Hilda because he's always coming out with 'Ogdenisms'.

A couple of his best - when the film 'Hotel Rwanda' was showing and he asked "Anyone seen that hotel Veranda yet?"

Also once in a Chinese restaurant and he said to the waiter "I think I'll try some of that automatic duck".

Workmate with wire rim specs , "Bicycle face" ,
Another who had a gambling prob , sometimes would loose his paypacket before leaving work . "Maverick"
Irish friend name Gerry known as "Attrick"

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back