Origin of nicknames.

izwozral

Saw this on some site or other.

A mate kept referring to his mate as Keth, then I noticed he had an eye missing. {Keith]

A mate had one hand larger that the other, his nickname was Clock.

A mate had one leg longer than the other which caused him to bob from side to side when walking, his nickname was Snipers Nightmare

I've got a mate called plug (he's a sparky). And another called village. (he's an idiot).

I did like the one Sam posted the other day though - Walt Disney (name of Walter - disnae drink, disnae laugh etc.)

I grew up with many of the lads from my village known by their father's first name. Allan was Sammy, another Allan was Doug. My nickname of Winks is a third generation moniker and my family hardly ever use my given name of Harold.

Cheers

H

Me and a few mates used to go to the same wee cafe for breakfast on a Saturday morning . The wee guy who worked there honestly thought we were a mafia hit squad there was my mate John. John the butcher who was a butcher Tam the blade he worked the guillotine in a printers there and there was jimmy the dealer a car dealer myself just big wull. We’d sit in the same corner booth and just have a laugh one day the wee guy that worked there asked why do they call him John the butcher he must be a mean bst.

Me and a few mates used to go to the same wee cafe for breakfast on a Saturday morning . The wee guy who worked there honestly thought we were a mafia hit squad there was my mate John. John the butcher who was a butcher Tam the blade he worked the guillotine in a printers there and there was jimmy the dealer a car dealer myself just big wull. We’d sit in the same corner booth and just have a laugh one day the wee guy that worked there asked why do they call him John the butcher he must be a mean bst.
Similarly, a plumber with all but his front teeth missing: Dai Central 'Eating...

Aircraft apprenticeship times. Wingnut….he had rather large ears. For some reason there and in the Navy anyone with the surname Ward was known as Sharkey. No idea why.

Aircraft apprenticeship times. Wingnut….he had rather large ears. For some reason there and in the Navy anyone with the surname Ward was known as Sharkey. No idea why.
Sharky Ward is a historic moniker, the origin of which is probably lost to the annals of time. Others: Plum Reader, Knocker White, Soapy Watson, Jumper Collins, etc. FWIW, the Plymouth Evening Herald has an article to help Janners (and other ex-RN) remember... (clicky link)

I've got a mate called plug (he's a sparky). And another called village. (he's an idiot).

I did like the one Sam posted the other day though - Walt Disney (name of Walter - disnae drink, disnae laugh etc.)
Oh have I got a nickname then Rob. Sam, how dare you :)

Some I remember....
Plug... Not a sparky but a dead ringer of Plug from the bash street kids.
Jaffa... He was seedless.
Thrush... He was an irritating c**t
There was a guy at Macmillans where I started my apprenticeship he was called Jaffa because he could not produce, then there was the monk who was involved in a fire within a vessel and his hair caught fire which did not regrow on the top of his head.

Almost forgot.....

Wanksock.

We gave him the nickname but he told us the story of how we arrived at it....
Oh dear... that reminds me of a tale that Stephen Fry told on QI about someone he knew in university who had the nickname "Heinz", which arose from an incident involving baked beans 😲 I'm not going to embed the YouTube clip but those not of a nervous disposition might like to get Stephen's version of the story by clicking here!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back