Old Age After Full Timing

Without wanting to appear over pessimistic I do think it’s important to consider your options in the event of health problems. Just 5 years ago we were enjoying 2 months a year in the US and three months a year out and about in the van. Ill health has struck us both in our 60s and now an outing usually involves being taken to the hospital. In these circumstances it’s certainly best to have a base in bricks and mortar.

I'll be 60 in April, and expect to give up our rented property to go full time in my mortorhome within the next year or two.

Hopefully I'll be able to physically and (just about) financially maintain that lifestyle for a good few years, but I'm wondering if there's a 'normal' path from mobile life back into bricks and mortar.

Other than hopefully being on state pension by then, my only asset at that point will likely be the motorhome, which will obviously have depreciated somewhat, probably to somewhere around £10-12k.

Are there any difficulties around applying for pensioner accommodation etc after full timing?
Is it private rented accommodation or council? If private get your name on the council list and maybe by the time you are ready to give up living in a van a house will be available for you. When it eventually does become available make your mind up if you want to move back to bricks and mortar or not.

While you really should consider the points every has made so far, particularly what you would do if your health failed, I have a completely different view. I hate having a house and the only reason I have one is because the Mrs won’t full time with me. My solution is I spend about 10 months a year in the van nipping back for a short time every month or so. For me the only good thing in having a house is I have the address without having to risk other methods.
I find my health has improved since being in the van, probably due to more exercise but it will also be what I eat, (portion size mostly). Around 10 years ago I bought a mobility scooter as I struggled to walk from one side of Buxton market to the other, these days I am out with the dogs all over and scooter sits in storage.
Depending on your religious beliefs you only get one life so if there is something you want to do bear that in mind.

While you really should consider the points every has made so far, particularly what you would do if your health failed, I have a completely different view. I hate having a house and the only reason I have one is because the Mrs won’t full time with me. My solution is I spend about 10 months a year in the van nipping back for a short time every month or so. For me the only good thing in having a house is I have the address without having to risk other methods.
I find my health has improved since being in the van, probably due to more exercise but it will also be what I eat, (portion size mostly). Around 10 years ago I bought a mobility scooter as I struggled to walk from one side of Buxton market to the other, these days I am out with the dogs all over and scooter sits in storage.
Depending on your religious beliefs you only get one life so if there is something you want to do bear that in mind.

I reckon Im more healthier in the van when away for months at a time. On the various occasions Ive lost weight its been over several long tours. Not so much these later years sadly. I tend to do hardly anything when at home (Although I have taken up swimming again). When your away in the van you are always doing something it seems. Better for your physical and I imagine mental health being in a van.

Certainly the happiest and fittest I have been I reckon was probably the decade or so we spent touring Europe from around 2008.

I reckon Im more healthier in the van when away for months at a time. On the various occasions Ive lost weight its been over several long tours. Not so much these later years sadly. I tend to do hardly anything when at home (Although I have taken up swimming again). When your away in the van you are always doing something it seems. Better for your physical and I imagine mental health being in a van.

Certainly the happiest and fittest I have been I reckon was probably the decade or so we spent touring Europe from around 2008.
Yes effects on health will depend on the individual and what ailments they have. I am limited on distances and terrain due to loss of leg but it was the osteoarthritis in my hips that had me using the scooter. Most of the time the last few years at work I was sat behind a desk, rarely having to go to sites. Think that was the big problem, put weight on which affected my hips more.
Being in the van with the dogs has given me a new lease of life. I used to be on codeine, tramadol, paracetamol and gabapentin every day but these days it’s rare I have anything for pain. I had dropped everything apart from the tramadol that I couldn’t get off until a new doctor came up with a different way to try after moving to Hull. Since heart surgery last year I am back on some meds but these are all heart related and, I think, a lot less harmful lol

Without wanting to appear over pessimistic I do think it’s important to consider your options in the event of health problems. Just 5 years ago we were enjoying 2 months a year in the US and three months a year out and about in the van. Ill health has struck us both in our 60s and now an outing usually involves being taken to the hospital. In these circumstances it’s certainly best to have a base in bricks and mortar.

I was assuming that if health problems meant I couldn't stay in the van I'd sell it move in with family short-term while sorting something else out.

Obviously, the problems could drop on me with little or no notice, and the long-term solution could take longer to sort out than expected, but that's just something that I'll have to accept.

Is it private rented accommodation or council? If private get your name on the council list and maybe by the time you are ready to give up living in a van a house will be available for you. When it eventually does become available make your mind up if you want to move back to bricks and mortar or not.

Good idea, thanks.

Fairly sure you can’t have social housing if you aren’t living in it. It’s possible that different councils have different rules though so check that if you want to full time for a few years 👍

Fairly sure you can’t have social housing if you aren’t living in it. It’s possible that different councils have different rules though so check that if you want to full time for a few years 👍

When I apply I would make my plans clear and that I didn't want anything yet. If that means I couldn't get on the list then so be it.

When I apply I would make my plans clear and that I didn't want anything yet. If that means I couldn't get on the list then so be it.
You need to check the council where you will be applying. Around here it works on a point system, points are through individual circumstances. Once you get to the top of the list they offer you a property, if you don’t like it/want it I think you have either one or two more offers before they drop you from the list.
This is social housing in general though, not sure how you would get to be considered for an alms house type property. Private providers will most likely be different.
I don’t know of any sites particularly for pensioners and what I have said so far is for anyone.
My bigger concern would be if I had my license taken while I was still able to look after myself, there is a slim chance I could talk son in law into being a traveller though and leave the driving to him 😂😂😂

No, no, no, and no again, if you say you don’t need it now you’ll not be put on the list regardless of any other factors.

You have no right to a local authority property, and they won’t give you one unless you are in need at the point you ask, if your need is 2 months away then you have no chance.

Even when a landlord serves notice, you will still not automatically get a place on the list. You will need to show urgent need.

No, no, no, and no again, if you say you don’t need it now you’ll not be put on the list regardless of any other factors.

You have no right to a local authority property, and they won’t give you one unless you are in need at the point you ask, if your need is 2 months away then you have no chance.

Even when a landlord serves notice, you will still not automatically get a place on the list. You will need to show urgent need.

OK, in that case I can't plan ahead and will just have to take things as they come. I'd rather be honest with people than try to buck the system.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back