Oh NO: Engine Warning Light On

I see little benefit in Diesel. All the extra add-ons hurt the economy (as well as the cost of diesel, remember to add in the cost of Adblue as well). You have more complexities to deal with for servicing and repairs. Unless you have a post 2016 diesel, you get hit with extra LEZ charges which don't apply to Petrol vehicles nearly 10 years older. And they are noisy, smelly and rattly :)

The most economical vehicle I have had was probably my VW T4 Diesel - but that was because I ran it on Rapeseed Oil in the summer when that was nearly half the cost of Diesel per litre :)

Correct, I thought that was rather obvious.
Not a solution I would take.
But many have done so after having issues with their adblue systems.
It's a problem that has been going on for years, blanking EGR's, deleting cat's, remapping ECU's, now it's deleting AdBlue, all because trying to meet emissions standards has become so difficult.

I bought an EGR Blanking Plate for my VW T4. I was just at the end of a near 400 miles drive down from Scotland to Berkshire and I was getting a rattle from the engine bay. Went to the local VW Main Dealer to get some advice the next day and their head technician and a salesguy came out to have a look, diagnosed the problem very quickly - which was the gasket on the added EGR blanking kit having burnt away.
Simple fix to do the following day with some liquid gasket from Halfords, but no comment or judgement whatsoever from VW about having removed the EGR - and also no charge from VW for their time and advice, or attempt to book me in, which was nice.

I blanked off the Egr valves on V6 Vauxhalls but that was for a decent power boost rather than anything else, cats went to for same reason.

Not a help for OP though but. Sounds like after checking fluids a quick thrash is in order 👍

Had this on my 19 plate Citroen Relay earlier this year on way to Spain....Code read was P208E...low reductant pressure.
After many hundreds of miles the message changed to 'Check Add Blue System Cannot Restart in 250 miles'.
Both garages in Blois and Pamplona, each time this occured the fix is a new Add Blue Tank , not being available each time they just reset ecu with more 'miles'.
Third time this occured, whilst booked in with Citroen at Marbella, I contacted COE of Stellantis Group to ensure that an Add Blue Tank would be available at Marbella.
Alec.

Reading on OAL. there is a problem with some sevel vans and the venting on AdBlue tank, I wonder if this might be the problem.

Some of this sounds rather depressing. I'm just burying my head in the sand today and keeping clear of the van. Maybe in the vain hope that if I ignore it, it'll fix itself. (as if ...)

Tomorrow, I'll top up the Ad Blu, check connections and then do the old fashioned Italian-tune up on the A1 and report back.
Well that didn't work. Engine light still on and "check add blue system" the warning message. No mileage countdown yet but I read that kicks in after 30 miles with the warning on (I've done about 20) . Don't have a code reader thing, so off to get investigation done in next day or two. I'm thinking or to be honest, hoping it's as Fisherman suspects the NOX sensor that's faulty and not needing the full add blu tank replacement.

Either way, it's a bummer.

After 400 miles with check engine, it would enter the phase of you only have 250 mile before no restart....
Ah that's good, because my trusted independent garage can't deal with it til 5th Jan, so if what you say applies to mine, I've got plenty of miles in the bag to keep me going.🤞🤞
Tho in my case the check engine message scrolls by just the once on start up and then changes to check Ad Blu system straight away. (But no count down yet).

So, the ad blu system is going on the diagnostic today at my trusted local independent. Because these systems are so fussy he's already recommending Ad Blu delete @£350. And he does my MoT. It's a comparable cost to NOX sensor replacement.
Pros and cons?? What would you do??
I'm eager to hear opinions.

Probably a reasonable thing to do, outside of it being illegal, which I'm pretty sure it is. I've not really looked into the pros & cons as my ad blu hasn't caused any issues, yet.

I would have it deleted, the problem with ad blue on motorhomes is they stand around too long,
Adblue has a limited shelf life, then starts to crystallise.

Forte do a additive to help stop it crystallising

At the last service my trusted local indy recommended a bottle of anti-crystallising liquid, saying that all the commercial vans they service use it.

Their up-selling technique was successful because I succumbed and bought some.

Snake oil? Only time will tell.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back