Oh NO: Engine Warning Light On

RSD7a

18 plate Citroen Relay. Engine warning light just come on. "Check Engine" the dash said rather helpfully. Turned engine off and restarted. Engine warning light still on. " Check Engine" message back too. But then followed by another message "check Ad Blu system". (There's a quite different warning for low Ad Blu.)

It's not limping (yet?)

Any advice/explanations about what's happening here?

Think you might be needing to re generate the system,try taking it a run and hold the revs up I've done it on a duel or motorway keep revs up high say in 4th gear for a prolonged time not saying to scream the engine or blow it up
this is called a forced regeneration
youve not had a message saying veh has a certain ammount of miles b4 it won't start?
does the veh do a lot of stop start or town driving?

Think you might be needing to re generate the system,try taking it a run and hold the revs up I've done it on a duel or motorway keep revs up high say in 4th gear for a prolonged time not saying to scream the engine or blow it up
youve not had a message saying veh has a certain ammount of miles b4 it won't start?
Strangely enough did that exact exercise this morning following a sustained period of stop start journeys, light off now.

I thought forced regeneration might be one strategy ( it's the only one I know) but I'm a bit foxed by the "check Ad Blu system" message. That's not regeneration territory is it?

The van's used more like a second car atm, so yes short journeys often. No, so far it's not telling me of a mileage limit, but to be fair the warning light only came on tonight and I've driven about 4 miles with it on to finish my journey home.

I thought forced regeneration might be one strategy ( it's the only one I know) but I'm a bit foxed by the "check Ad Blu system" message. That's not regeneration territory is it?

The van's used more like a second car atm, so yes short journeys often. No, so far it's not telling me of a mileage limit, but to be fair the warning light only came on tonight and I've driven about 4 miles with it on to finish my journey home.
Many vehicles of all makes are having Adblue problems.
Particularly older Adblue systems.
You may have a faulty NOX sensor this is quite common on earlier systems.
Check that you are using Adblue.
One of the signs of a faulty NOX sensor is you stop using Adblue.
Some I know have had so many issues that they have had their Adblue systems turned off.

18 plate Citroen Relay. Engine warning light just come on. "Check Engine" the dash said rather helpfully. Turned engine off and restarted. Engine warning light still on. " Check Engine" message back too. But then followed by another message "check Ad Blu system". (There's a quite different warning for low Ad Blu.)

It's not limping (yet?)

Any advice/explanations about what's happening here?
Had exactly the same on my Peugeot boxer on Wednesday 2022 plate we are heading down to Spain on Plymouth to Santander ferry Boxing Day so needed this fixing called Peugeot under warranty and was told diagnostics not available until February anyway long story short got it booked in for a diagnostic and it turns out to be a nox sensor needs replacing and booked in for the 18/12 for the work

Reactions: liz
Our 71 plate relay had to have new adblue pump and heater at 30 odd thou

Just had new engine at just short of 90 thou due to head gasket fail and seizing of engine (head gasket goes and drops coolant into oil )

Now having issues with turbo position sensor putting engine into limp mode .

Our previous Boxer seized at 80k due to a cold start sensor failing and telling the ecu to run cold start mode and diluting the oil .

These van engines are made out of cheese frankly .

Our local independent recommends servicing at absolutely no more than 10,000 miles or the oil thickens ...

He had 5 other vans in waiting for new engines along with ours .

Our 71 plate relay had to have new adblue pump and heater at 30 odd thou

Just had new engine at just short of 90 thou due to head gasket fail and seizing of engine (head gasket goes and drops coolant into oil )

Now having issues with turbo position sensor putting engine into limp mode .

Our previous Boxer seized at 80k due to a cold start sensor failing and telling the ecu to run cold start mode and diluting the oil .

These van engines are made out of cheese frankly .

Our local independent recommends servicing at absolutely no more than 10,000 miles or the oil thickens ...

He had 5 other vans in waiting for new engines along with ours .
What engine is it? And what makes are the other vans that are waiting?

Many vehicles of all makes are having Adblue problems.
Particularly older Adblue systems.
You may have a faulty NOX sensor this is quite common on earlier systems.
Check that you are using Adblue.
One of the signs of a faulty NOX sensor is you stop using Adblue.
Some I know have had so many issues that they have had their Adblue systems turned off.
The overcomplication of Diesel engine installations in the last 10 odd years is the primary reason why when I changed my car back in 2017, I specifically went for a Petrol engined one, and I have not regretted it for a day since.

What engine is it? And what makes are the other vans that are waiting?
2.2 euro six in the citroen we've just had done ...

Mixture of Peugeot/citroen and Fiat ...

He reckons there's not much to choose between them they all have issues one of his pet hates is the plastic impeller on the water pump that ends up spinning on the shaft basically boiling the engine with little if any warning
And sudden catastrophic head gasket failure that doesn't fault between cylinders but between oil gallery and water gallery .

I suspect this relay will be our last ...

Check battery terms are tight and eath strap to engine good.
Code readers are cheap now days, lidl did the one I've got less than £20.

Some of this sounds rather depressing. I'm just burying my head in the sand today and keeping clear of the van. Maybe in the vain hope that if I ignore it, it'll fix itself. (as if ...)

Tomorrow, I'll top up the Ad Blu, check connections and then do the old fashioned Italian-tune up on the A1 and report back.

The overcomplication of Diesel engine installations in the last 10 odd years is the primary reason why when I changed my car back in 2017, I specifically went for a Petrol engined one, and I have not regretted it for a day since.

Snap. when my Diesel Golf from the last century finally gave up the ghost in 2018 I went Petrol. After reading this thread and others Im seriously thinking of keeping the motorhome from the last century also! :D

Sorry thread drift.

I have been driving diesels for over 25 years now, with no mechanical issues whatsoever. My current car is a merc c220 2017 model I bought from new, it drives like a dream with 60,000 on the clock. The car on long journeys returns 58 mpg at 70mph.
Average consumption now sitting at 46mpg.
But in 2016 in order to meet euro 6 most manufacturers rushed out Adblu systems in order to lower Nitrus oxide emissions. These systems have proven unreliable creating issues. The OP reports Adblue issue, it’s almost certainly a NOX sensor that’s creating the issue, a friend had the Adblue software removed.
It appears that the new Adblue systems are better made.

Had check engine come on in Italy this year, couldn't get anyone to have a look at it ducato 2.3 for a week. So decided to flog up the mountains for about 10 mile in low gear , bingo light cleared no trouble since and have done 2000 miles, think it was because I'm a steady away driver 55-60 mph all the way from uk to Italy

I have been driving diesels for over 25 years now, with no mechanical issues whatsoever. My current car is a merc c220 2017 model I bought from new, it drives like a dream with 60,000 on the clock. The car on long journeys returns 58 mpg at 70mph.
Average consumption now sitting at 46mpg.
But in 2016 in order to meet euro 6 most manufacturers rushed out Adblu systems in order to lower Nitrus oxide emissions. These systems have proven unreliable creating issues. The OP reports Adblue issue, it’s almost certainly a NOX sensor that’s creating the issue, a friend had the Adblue software removed.
It appears that the new Adblue systems are better made.
What does removing ad blu software mean in practice?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back