Occupational hazards of Wild Camping

Channa

Having read the 'Wild Camping How to guide' I feel there is lots of good and sound information there.

Has threads do ( and I am the worst culprit hence a new thread) It goes off at a tangent in respect of two legal areas.

Firstly that of what is acceptable as self defence in the rare instance we find ourselves in a spot of bother.

In an attempt to provide the legal position, You can defend yourself to the extent required that the threat is negated. Anymore than this there is a good chance you will be charged with assault.

Contrary to general belief, it is possible to strike first if the person involved genuinely believed they were at risk. The caveat again being that no more force than necessary is used.

The comments re baseball bats, golf clubs etc are all valid...Of course a frying pan may be close to hand and is a legitimate content of a motorhome.
Possibly the first thing to grab in a panic that is heavy ???

Without referring to case law and technical jargon, the following article may re assure...and be of interest dispelling a few of the urban myths.

In law if one person inflicts force on another the initial presumption is that an unlawful act has been carried out. The lightest of touches can amount to an assault. However, there are situations in which it is recognised that force can be inflicted without a crime having been committed. For example:

Someone who takes part in a team sport is considered to have given their consent to a certain amount of force being used against them.
A doctor operating on a patient would be guilty of the most serious assault if the patient did not give their consent.
Bumping against someone on a packed train is excused as being part of everyday life.
In addition, the courts have always upheld the right of an individual to protect themselves, or other people, and have repeatedly said that they are permitted to use force or violence to do so. As long as the amount of force used is not excessive self-defence - or defence of another person - has the effect of rendering lawful what might otherwise have been a criminal act.

Public Perception of Self-Defence
There has been confusion about what is permitted under the law when an individual is acting in self-defence. Some have even suggested that the law gives more protection to criminals than to honest citizens acting to protect themselves, their family and their homes. There is a belief that citizens in the USA are in a much stronger position as far as the law on self-defence is concerned.

However, although not enshrined in statute, the law in this country is very clear:

an individual is entitled to protect themselves or others;
they may inflict violence and/or use weapons to do so;
the level of violence may include killing the assailant; and,
an individual may even act pre-emptively and still be found to have acted in self-defence.
The protection offered to the honest citizen by the principle of self-defence comes in two stages.

The Crown Prosecution Service
Before a case gets to court the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) will have to decide whether it should go that far. In reaching this decision there are various factors that the CPS will take into account, including:
Whether there is likely to be enough evidence to secure a conviction; and,
Whether a prosecution is in the public interest.
The CPS has stated that citizens who have acted reasonably and in good faith to protect themselves, their families or their property should not face prosecution for their acts.

There will be instances where the circumstances of an individual case demand that it goes to court. These may include cases where it is not clear that an individual really was acting in self-defence or where serious injuries or death have resulted. However, this does not mean that a death will automatically lead to prosecution.

Self-Defence and the Courts
If an individual is prosecuted after having acted, or having claimed to act, in self-defence the courts will apply the following test:
Was the force used by the individual reasonable in the circumstances as he or she believed them to be?
The jury will have to answer this question based on the facts as the individual saw them when he acted as he did. A person is entitled to use reasonable force to protect themselves, members of their family or even a complete stranger if they genuinely believe that they are in danger or are the victim of an unlawful act, such as an assault. An individual may even take what is known as a pre-emptive strike if they honestly believe that the circumstances demand it. This means that a person can use force if they believe that there is a threat of imminent violence if they do not act first.

What if Someone Makes a Mistake?
The law of self-defence can even excuse an assault, or a death, when the individual was wrong in their belief that they had to act in the way they did - when there was never any real danger. If the person genuinely believed they were acting in self-defence that can be enough. However, if the only reason the person got it wrong was because they were drunk they are unlikely to succeed in using this as a defence.

Conclusion
The law as it stands offers very wide protection to those individuals who use violence to protect themselves or others. Such is the protection that an act which could otherwise have constituted a very serious offence becomes lawful. Further, it is the stated intention of the CPS that individuals who act in this way should not even find themselves in court.

On the ' Wild Camping How to guide' I have posted the reality and statute defence on Drunk in charge. Those of you that like a tipple or five may find it interesting.

I am going to take the liberty of repeating it here for the sake of convenience.

What concerns me is that you must understand a motorhome is treated no different to a drunk sleeping it off in a car park in legal terms.And in the context that wild camping involves public places including car parks it is legislation we collectively ( and I hope you agree ) need to be aware of.

Also it is a pretty weird charge in that it is 'a reverse of burden' charge. In simple terms this means that the driver has to demonstrate he wasnt going to drive ...the onus is on the driver to prove he wasnt going to drive off.

I could but wont cite instances where the police have been caught out on this one. giving someone the benefit of doubt only to find 2 hours later driving whilst OPL.

This one is in legal speak I am afraid.

4(2) Without prejudice to subsection (1) above, a person who, when in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle which is on a road or other public place, is unfit to drive through drink or drugs is guilty of an offence.

STATUTORY DEFENCE - IN CHARGE
4(3) For the purposes of subsection (2) above, a person shall be deemed not to have been in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle if he proves that at the material time the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving it so long as he remained unfit to drive through drink or drugs.

IMPORTANT: However, in the case of Sheldrake v DPP 2003 the Court stated that in the light of the Human Rights Act 1998 this defence must be given the following meaning:
It is a defence for a person charged with this offence to demonstrate from the evidence an arguable case that at the time he was alleged to have committed the offence, the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving the vehicle while he/she remained unfit to drive though drink or drugs.

OFFICERS SHOULD ENSURE THAT SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE IS COLLECTED TO ENSURE THIS DEFENCE CAN BE COUNTERED IF RAISED

Straight form the policemans Handbook !!!

Sorry for the long post, But hopefully I have provided a little clarity in respect of two subjects that a lot of people are uncertain of.

Channa

Well Channa, you certainly bored the pants off me with that little lot! according to you everybody in the country in a motorhome who has a licence,(on a site or not) can potentially be prosecuted for drink driving if they have more than a few drinks. when its up on jacks, with the front seats turned round. Righto
.....bob

Well Channa, you certainly bored the pants off me with that little lot! according to you everybody in the country in a motorhome who has a licence,(on a site or not) can potentially be prosecuted for drink driving if they have more than a few drinks. when its up on jacks, with the front seats turned round. Righto
.....bob

Firstly drink driving (driving over the officially prescribed limit) is a totally different offence to drunk in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle which is what the post refers to.( and is more relevant to those of us who like a drink in the evening )

Secondly I never mentioned 'sites'. Many of the people here prefer 'wild spots' which are public places seafronts ,car parks laybys etc. In these locations it is easy to be guilty of the said offence.

Unlike a lot of charges, there is statutory defence, which I quoted. Knowledge of this defence might be useful to people on the site who should find plod knocking on their door doing random checks. I am sorry that you dont !

If a home has its steadies down seats where applicable swivelled round etc. I would agree you do appear 'camped' for the evening and most Police wouldnt arrest you and you would have a good defence. ( albeit I have only seen steadies down on sites) most people seem rigged up to make a quick exit if the need arises.

What people need to understand, is that if you are found DIC the Police are put in an awkward position they need to be very confident that the driver isnt going to drive off whilst still under the influence. Of course they have never heard 'Nope here till morning..Mate' only to find that driver driving 2 hours later ?.....

Channa

PC Plod

At the end of the day it is common sense and of course dependant on the useless Policeman(or possibly not) who attends. Most Traffic Cops are the lowest of the low in the Police force who would do their own mother, they are choosen or bred that way, most ordinary Plod dislike them. So if it's the wrong time of the month or simply got out the bed the wrong way you could have problems. Let us also state, most PC Plod have little knowledge of the Law, restricted to a few weeks in basic training, experts they are not. Many times the abuse the Law merely because 'joe public' do not know their rights or the Law.

So in line with the advice above, we all have mobile phones that will record, stick it on straight away. Get you wife to film them, despite their protests they cannot force you to stop. Fantastic for getting rid of them, same with the villians, don't fight them, record or film them. While you are waiting for the Police make notes, discriptions etc, excellant for the court, any notes you make within a couple of hours can be used in court. The stupid idea of fighting a villain is simply stupid, most come tooled up, young and alot faster than you are!

There are plenty of dead men in the news who thought they could defend themselves, 99.% of men in Britain don't have instinct to carry it through, so don't try or you will end up hurt!

Well, it all sounds a bit patronising to me, and certainly pedantic.:rolleyes:

Your post.

Well firstly thank you for clarification.

But allow me to offer explanation for my post.

In the original ' Wild Camping how to guide' these two topics were raised, and discussed at length.

What I can share is some of the posters perceptions of the law were wrong.

All I have attempted to do is provide accurate information from a number of sources at my disposal so that members are more informed.

I dont really see this as patronising I would hope more informative for those that do wild camp and consume alcohol.

In respect of pedantic ? I have quoted the law as it is for clarification not necessarily how I would like it to be.

I offered my post, and knowledge with the best of intentions. albeit in the mistaken belief people would find it interesting and possibly of value.

The replies have so far been interesting, People that dont read what is actually written, and others who I suspect think I am a serving Police Officer (which I am not )if their ill written, contradictary and prejudiced tirade is to be believed.

I was hoping for sensible debate but that seems unlikely

Having explained myself, and assuming you have digested my intentions I hope you would accept there has been nothing patronising or pedantic in my post.

All I have tried to do is offer an honest appraisal of how the law actually stands considering my earlier comments

regards

Channa

I am a truck driver as well and have found that you can enjoy yourself without risk of police intervention as long as you don't shove s#it in there faces. We could all trot out laws,rules and regs if we wanted to be pedants, but in the real world the authorities won't bother you if you use a little common sense and show a bit of respect for your surroundings and neighbours. Nuff said.

To be quite honest Channa, I do not agree entirely with your post as I am one of the ones that always have a bottle of wine with my evening meal and I would argue the point in court if need be as I usually turn my seats, put up a couple of blinds, (do not have steadies) and I do try to make it obvious to anybody that I have no intention of driving:D and I never would (but never say never (emergency situation and all that) but I consider my M/H to be my home when I am not sitting within bricks and mortar:D and the same situation could arise:eek:
But I did take your point and I did realize that you were only trying to help:cool:
Thank you:)

With respect, I think that some people here think I am expressing an opinion !!..

I am NOT

consider this !!

To the best of my ability this is not an opinion but an explanation of the law as it currently stands. Which is why I quoted statutes etc so people can see for themselves in black and white, the directives that the police and Magistrates have to work from.

Channa

With equal respect, this could be interpreted as scaremongering and patronisation. The whole thing is certainly becoming even more pedantic,IMHO.

Guys on the premise I may be pedant ? implied ,and some people choose to take a chance.(their choice which I respect as it happens)

I will refrain from adding any input to the forum that may be of benefit in respect of how traffic law may or may not affect our members.

So carry on ....when you find your interpretation misguided .....carry on ..bed and lie on it springs to mind....I am being polite)

If you stop for a moment I have not once expressed opinion, Just interpretation of the law from my experience.

I came here as a person that enjoys a motorhome. I could has a full timer perhaps learn and share my experiences

It seems that is a waste of energy,

I trust that you can empathise in my frustration ...can or can't I will sleep.

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:
Assault,self defence? Hardly traffic law. You continue to patronise and now you are acting like a Prima Donna. Barrack room lawyers are likely to find people who disagree with them and if you choose to be a martyr to your cause so be it. Sleep well.

congrats chancer...:cool:

never seen anyone pith so many peeps of so quickly (on a forum) in all me life :eek:

regards:rolleyes:
aj

an observation yer understand...solely mine btw... unless :rolleyes:

congrats chancer...:cool:

never seen anyone pith so many peeps of so quickly (on a forum) in all me life :eek:

regards:rolleyes:
aj

an observation yer understand...solely mine btw... unless :rolleyes:

It seems I am a natural, Best bit is I didnt make the laws just started off one day trying to explain them ..

Oh well neh bother
channa

I think that we do realize and it is very obvious that you are quoting the law and not an opinion, but you also have to realize that although we are thankful for your advice it is up to us to act or not to act on it.
Thanks again for your advice

Hallelujah !!! ...exactly. I am stating the law has it stands and the implications thereof.

Dont do me any harm bro I dont give a flying what peeps do !!

I have given an opinion in order to assist and inform.

If you or anyone else decides to interpret your own rules, I really dont have a problem

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:
With equal respect, this could be interpreted as scaremongering and patronisation. The whole thing is certainly becoming even more pedantic,IMHO.

I missed this in my early post ...

What is scaremongering ? there is no scaremongering at all ...I have stated the law of the land in respect of self defence and drunk in charge.

I DIDNT MAKE THE RULES ..just attempting to explain them has a barrack room lawyer.( your disrespectful term )

It seems you like the words patronising and pedantic, they are recurrent in your posts. to put them back in your quoted comment is interesting. In terms of interpretation it seems you have your own agenda
However

Scaremongering , patronising ? My original post received thanks from people who it appears took the post on face value, and found it informative.

I have merely stated the law ...if you feel it is scaremongering or patronising your problem is with the law ? Afterall that is all I quoted no holier than thou opinion.

Check and re check ..nowhere have I expressed an opinion !

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back