Non electric grass pitch prices in U.K. drives the U.K. wildcamping desires

One of the reasons that campsites are more expensive here in comparison to the continent is really simple. Lack of competition from places to park outwith the campsites. In the continent there are tens of thousands of aires that are free or extremely cheap, the campsites in these countries have to compete. Another reason is there are more caravans here who guarantee business for the campsites, meaning that we are not as important to the campsites as we are in the continent. Another reason for cheaper prices is most campsites in the continent are municipal, not run for profit.
Providing more free or cheap Aires, combined with higher sales of motorhomes will bring down prices in campsites. But until attitudes change here, we will always have the most expensive campsites.

One of the reasons that campsites are more expensive here in comparison to the continent is really simple. Lack of competition from places to park outwith the campsites. In the continent there are tens of thousands of aires that are free or extremely cheap, the campsites in these countries have to compete. Another reason is there are more caravans here who guarantee business for the campsites, meaning that we are not as important to the campsites as we are in the continent. Another reason for cheaper prices is most campsites in the continent are municipal, not run for profit.
Providing more free or cheap Aires, combined with higher sales of motorhomes will bring down prices in campsites. But until attitudes change here, we will always have the most expensive campsites.

I think you know my thoughts on Aires by now Bill.

However, I am slowly coming round to your way of thinking. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to change but once I adapt I stop moaning until it all changes again!

I think you know my thoughts on Aires by now Bill.

However, I am slowly coming round to your way of thinking. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to change but once I adapt I stop moaning until it all changes again!
Another way of looking at it Rob is. The more Aires there are then the less pressure on the rural non honey pot spots, which many on here including myself enjoy, but are getting harder to enjoy due to higher numbers of vans. Also because there would then be less pressure on these rural spots, there would be less bother, and a reduced chance of some of them being put out off limits. The problem now is with more and more vans coming each year, there are less places for them to go outwith campsites and CLs. The problems are manifold. We have greater numbers of vans, many of whom have inexperienced owners, many more now are rented out to novices, with less places to park up. The Aires will not only prove useful to us all, but help to relieve pressure from those spots we all value. Times have changed since many in here started, and this means things have to change to accommodate what’s happening.

Avoid the crowds, honeypots and sheeple and there are some fab spots out there
Avoid the crowds, honeypots and sheeple and there are some fab spots out there

This was my tactic in the southwest over summer. Two things I figured. CL sites with hookup and manicured lawns will be popular with Tuggers and newbie motorhomers and boggy basic CL sites miles down narrow goat tracks and not within walking or cycling distance of the hot spots will be popular with neither. I was right. The £20+ CL sites were full and the farmers fields tucked away were not and were cheap as chips. I reckon the narrow goat tracks put a lot of people off though. There were gardens growing down the middle of some of them 🤣

CCC members get a 25% discount when booking. But if you are registered as an ACR member (over 60) you qualify for a further 10%.
But you must now verify your age to qualify. I sent photos of our driving licenses to their HQ. You may already be registered check the rear of your membership card under 'sections' it will say age concession if you are registered, if not you need to register.
Membership card??? No mention in welcome email. As I said they are a bit scant on detail. Thank goodness I have people on WC to ask.🙄🙄

Membership card??? No mention in welcome email. As I said they are a bit scant on detail. Thank goodness I have people on WC to ask.🙄🙄
You should have received a membership card. It may be attached to one of the letters. Wrinklies discount is only applicable to the club main sites. Certified sites CSs and listed sites are their own businesses.
The two apps I use are - the "out & about" app for local weekend meets and temporary holiday sites. There is also "site seeker" which has all the sites that are listed in the big sites book - main CCC sites, CSs, listed sites and (for this year only) camping in the forest.

For what its worth the £3 site in Wales I mentioned above was a dump. Two kids fleeing around the field on a quad bike, a bloke doing what looked like an engine swap on an old Mercedes next to a huge caravan with lots of chrome and tassels in the windows, probably about 20 vans on the field...
Draw your own conclusions... needless to say we did not stop.
Felt like a scene from "Snatch"
K :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back