No BBC TV on Astra 2

Glandwr

Checked out the van today ready for a trip this weekend. Don't know why but the wife said check out the TV. Sat dish up, locked on to Astra 2, all channels ok but no BBC not a single channel !!!!

Just a notice saying that the SD signal had been turned off and I would have to get new equipment to get the HD signal.

Luckily I had a small satellite TV in one of the bedrooms. Stripped out the old sat box and Bob's your uncle!

How fast things change. The SD box was new in 2010 and in those days I was able easily get all UK TV channels over most of Iberia with a 85cm dish, now it's junk!

SD signal was turned off last Monday the 8th Jan apparently.

This has been confusing me for some time as I seem to remember a thread about a year ago where we were told our old SD boxes wouldnt work. Some reported that theres didnt but our Maxview free to air box continued to work so I assumed we were ok. However all summer we kept getting warnings on BBC 1 that SD services would be shut off. I have no idea if thats happened to us now as the van isnt here to check but I suspect it has. I presume its just a case of getting a new box then.

You're not missing anything lol.

IMG-20240109-WA0000.jpg

I have no idea if thats happened to us now as the van isnt here to check but I suspect it has. I presume its just a case of getting a new box then.
I've found it difficult to find one to replace the old maxview box for ease of finding a signal wish I'd kept it an didn't bother try to watch BBC

I've found it difficult to find one to replace the old maxview box for ease of finding a signal wish I'd kept it an didn't bother try to watch BBC

Oh. I assumed it would be dead easy. I never put ours in. Leisuretech did in 2008 but as far as I can tell its just got the Camos Dome box which tunes into the satellite and then the maxview box is connected to that I think by a scart cable. Was that the issue, getting something with scart?

Bought a small satellite smart tv from Lidl last year for less than I paid for my original sat box. Connected to cable from the dish. Then it was plug an play. Networked with my 4g mifi modem got catchup as well

Oh. I assumed it would be dead easy. I never put ours in. Leisuretech did in 2008 but as far as I can tell its just got the Camos Dome box which tunes into the satellite and then the maxview box is connected to that I think by a scart cable. Was that the issue, getting something with scart?
I would think the Maxview box connects to the dome with a satellite cable with F connectors, the scart lead connects the Maxview box to the TV, HD boxes connect with a HDMI cable but some still have a scart or AV connector as well, similar to this
31kfL+39f+L._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg

I would think the Maxview box connects to the dome with a satellite cable with F connectors, the scart lead connects the Maxview box to the TV, HD boxes connect with a HDMI cable but some still have a scart or AV connector as well, similar to this
View attachment 127100

Actually the Maxview box connects to the TV with those three cables. Im going to have to have a look when the van comes back. (away for repairs). Im sure its a scart between the Camos controller box in the wardrobe and the Maxview box but I could be wrong.

Actually the Maxview box connects to the TV with those three cables. Im going to have to have a look when the van comes back. (away for repairs). Im sure its a scart between the Camos controller box in the wardrobe and the Maxview box but I could be wrong.
I have seen the ones with a Maxview controller that connects to the dome with a multi-plug connection but not with a scart, but they all had a sat cable from the controller to the separate satellite receiver, I haven't seen the earlier ones so I look forward to finding out.
If you need a HD satellite receiver that connects to the TV with a scart lead I have a Humax HB 1000S receiver going spare, I don't use it any more because the HDMI port doesn't work, but the scart output works perfectly and it is a small 12v unit
4116Gxp2ONL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I have no idea what I need until I get the van back and remind myself how its all glued together with what connections. The only ones I am certain off is the Red yellow and white leads that come out of the wardrobe into the TV.

Ill put it on the list of jobs that need doing when it returns.

Chances are any sat box that doesn't have a HDMI will be SD therefore no BBC. The TV could be put of the arc that doesn't matter.

i wish i'd kept my maxview box i line just as a signal finder

On my system the Maxview box doesnt find the signal though the Camos box does and that wont change. You press a button on the controller to tell it which satellite you want it to tune into and it does its thing. The way I understand it once its tuned in the maxview box just then feeds the content from the various channels to the TV which is effectively a monitor and will only do so if the Camos box is tuned in the right satellite you have selected on the Camos box. Generally Astra 2 but Ive switched it to Hotbird, sirus, 19.x when out of the zone in further flung parts of Europe.

The BBC has been announcing the closing of sat. SD for well over a year and now finally done it. They took so long I thought they weren't gonna actually do it.
Next is the SD to HD Freeview change over for regional programmes.

The BBC has been announcing the closing of sat. SD for well over a year and now finally done it. They took so long I thought they weren't gonna actually do it.
Next is the SD to HD Freeview change over for regional programmes.
Regional programs on Freeview have been HD for nearly a year around here.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back