No BBC TV on Astra 2

Just replaced my Pace Javelin mini sky box with a Humax HB 1100S sat receiver so that I can now get HD, ie, all the BBC channels including radio.
Got the Humax box 2nd hand off f/b marketplace, cost £20, had to get a 12v lead off ebay, cost £7.
The Humax now connects to the Tv via an HDMI lead (Pace box to TV was scart lead), it still connects to the Camos control box using coax.
The swap was a bit fiddly, but it all works as it should. It will take a bit of getting used to as I've had the same Pace box set-up in 6 different vans over the last 15 years.

regards
Allen

In southern Portugal at the moment with 150 german channels a few Dutch ones and Nickelodeon...without the box locking on to anything...which it wont as it just keeps searching.

Big thanks to Tezza33 for sending me his Humax HB-1000s digi box. Swapped it over just now with the old Maxview box and it worked straight away. All programmed up for my region as well. Brilliant!

The only thing I have to now figure out is if I can fit a magic eye to it now for the remote control. Not sure you can. The satellite stuff is housed inside the wardrobe in the rear lounge and doing my initial tests the remote doesnt seem to work through the wardrobe to change channel etc. The old Maxview has a magic eye which pokes through a little hole in the wardrobe behind the TV. The other option is just to reroute the cables through the wardrobe and just stand it next to the TV in the rear lounge which is on a flat surface above the fire. There is room. Thanks again Terry.

Tezza came up with this. I think this should work. Its basically a relay I think. Transmits the remote signal via a sensor outside of the wardrobe to one thats inside the wardrobe next to the box. Anyone use one?

I did not know you wanted one (I don't look at every thread). I have one here that I no longer use. I bought a Freesat box coupled up to a Sky dish. It will getting chucked out at the next clearout (I forgot about it at the last clearout). :giggle:

I did not know you wanted one (I don't look at every thread). I have one here that I no longer use. I bought a Freesat box coupled up to a Sky dish. It will getting chucked out at the next clearout (I forgot about it at the last clearout). :giggle:

I have to say I am disappointed that you dont follow my every post. 🤣

I think I am sorted though. Tezzas box (Oooeer) seems to work a treat and Ive just ordered one of those infrared remote things he also discovered (What a helpful chap) so if it works ill update the thread. I think this Humax box will also record stuff as well if you stick a USB drive on it and you can connect it to the internet for BBCi and other stuff. I might not tell Mrs D that though. :D She will be wanting to record stuff in the van I bet.

I wondered why we couldn't pick up BBC's channels when we used our satellite for the first time last weekend the sky box must be SD . Will have to source a replacement then or figure out how to connect the satellite to the TV in the bedroom as that has a built in receiver

Checked out the van today ready for a trip this weekend. Don't know why but the wife said check out the TV. Sat dish up, locked on to Astra 2, all channels ok but no BBC not a single channel !!!!

Just a notice saying that the SD signal had been turned off and I would have to get new equipment to get the HD signal.

Luckily I had a small satellite TV in one of the bedrooms. Stripped out the old sat box and Bob's your uncle!

How fast things change. The SD box was new in 2010 and in those days I was able easily get all UK TV channels over most of Iberia with a 85cm dish, now it's junk!

SD signal was turned off last Monday the 8th Jan apparently.
That's a good thing isn't it.

Well Im extremely pleased to tell you that my new Humax HD box kindly donated by @Tezza33 not only works a treat but the IR USB extension (magic eye) he also found which I purchased off ebay also works a treat.

The problem I had was the Camos and Sat reciever box are mounted inside the wardrobe and the old one had a magic eye in the rear lounge for the remote control. The new Humax does not have a magic eye but Tezza found a USB device for peanuts that does the same thing. Could be useful for some. Basically it relays the signal from any remote control from one room to another or in this case from the rear lounge to inside the wardrobe. You mount the fat end on the wall next to the telly and the little end in front of the satellite receiver in the wardrobe and its powered of the USB port on the Humax although any usb socket would do. It was a bugger to fit though as the hole wasn't big enough to pass the USB cable through and whoever put the cables in for the old receiver clearly didnt intend them ever to be taken out. Lots of swearing but all done now.

Here's a link to what I bought off ebay.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back