New Tryes pt 2

Are
I just had these fitted today (225/75/16 BFGoodrich AT T/A KO2 All Terrain) on my Autotrail Apache front wheels, always had Continental Vanco Camper tyres up till now. Thought I’d try bought online from 4x4 tyres and paid for fitting locally. There was also a 5% discount code GIMME5 that I used, cost was £418 for two.
The tyre fitters did say that the best pressure was 50-60psi or otherwise they curve like a motorbike tyre if at 79psi like I ran the Continentals at.
Inflated them to 60psi and it was a smooth journey home
Are they noisey.

I just had these fitted today (225/75/16 BFGoodrich AT T/A KO2 All Terrain) on my Autotrail Apache front wheels, always had Continental Vanco Camper tyres up till now. Thought I’d try bought online from 4x4 tyres and paid for fitting locally. There was also a 5% discount code GIMME5 that I used, cost was £418 for two.
The tyre fitters did say that the best pressure was 50-60psi or otherwise they curve like a motorbike tyre if at 79psi like I ran the Continentals at.
Inflated them to 60psi and it was a smooth journey home

Are

Are they noisey.
I had them on my Crafter Trev. Around 30mph is where you could hear them but not too bad. What would scare the bejesus out of you is loosing 5mpg😳😳

Been on Hankook Vantra LT's for 10 years now. Good ride,fair price and good mileage out of them.

I've had them on for about 4 years Trev and they are a bit noisy at 45mph but ok at 60 and 70 mph but when I got mine they where only 120 quid a corner my have they gone up lol

I'd love to hear good feedback about which tyres are the best, but it's really, really complicated.

The basic problem is that tyre designs are a load of compromises.

The design has to balance dry grip, wet grip, lateral grip, noise, rolling resistance, wear, lifetime, load capacity, ability to cope with overloading, sidewall protection from kerbing, speed rating, pollution (dust), ride comfort, weight and cost.

That's sixteen competing requirements, and maybe there are other things that don't come to mind just now.

I don't do very many miles per year so my tyres will probably need replacing long before they are worn out.

Someone who does high mileages will need a different sort of tyre.

Someone who drives to ski resorts in winter will need another sort again.

I think camper tyres are a poor choice for just about any situation, maybe except rented-out motorhomes.

Is it really that complicated?

I buy black round ones somewhere between budget and premium and don't give it much thought after that.
I am with you on this one Rob.
I fit Mitchelin tyres as standard, and the current van came with their Agilis camping tyres. If I have the van long enough to replace them, I will fit the same tyres.
They do what it says on the tin.

That's the point: Agilis camping tyres seem to be a bad choice, in my opinion.

Yes, unfortunately.

However, I think your approach is probably the best.

As you said in your post there are various technical factors to consider and I would think that any choice would be a compromise so I just try to not over think it.

Is it really that complicated?

I buy black round ones somewhere between budget and premium and don't give it much thought after that.
Not for me, only have a choice of 3 different Conti’s. Saying that, since I downplated I could get the rear axle weights lowered if I wanted to

That's why they lasted so long :) but it was the same for Bridgestone on the early Jap bikes and now they are a premium tyre :unsure:

Regards,
Del
Slippery michy van tyres? Yep, ended up under a fallen tree coz they were useless in the wet, but that was in the 70's.

Back