New toy arrived today.

The other obvious question is that could you use the Jackery as a hook up using a 3pin/euro socket adaptor and then use the Sargent box transformer to charge up the leisure battery?

Without the need to disconnect the 12v circuit if this is required to charge up the leisure battery directly.

And using gas whilst doing this to run the fridge.

And then use the normal van 3 pin sockets to charge up electric bike batteries?

Has this been done by anybody?

The other obvious question is that could you use the Jackery as a hook up using a 3pin/euro socket adaptor and then use the Sargent box transformer to charge up the leisure battery?

Without the need to disconnect the 12v circuit if this is required to charge up the leisure battery directly.

And using gas whilst doing this to run the fridge.

And then use the normal van 3 pin sockets to charge up electric bike batteries?

Has this been done by anybody?
This would be very inefficient with losses in the Jackery inverter and the motorhome mains charger. My guess is that at least 20% of the useable power would be lost. Better to power devices directly from the Jackery/Ecoflow/Bluetti.

This would be very inefficient with losses in the Jackery inverter and the motorhome mains charger. My guess is that at least 20% of the useable power would be lost. Better to power devices directly from the Jackery/Ecoflow/Bluetti.
Agreed. I had been thinking about this and that it would be inefficient use of power.

So the question then is can you top up the leisure battery using the Jackery without disconnecting the leisure battery from the Sargent power box, which in turn the 12v devices operate through?

Disconnect the Sargent power box from the leisure battery and you loose 12v power to operate water pump, lighting, 12v TV, etc.

Agreed. I had been thinking about this and that it would be inefficient use of power.

So the question then is can you top up the leisure battery using the Jackery without disconnecting the leisure battery from the Sargent power box, which in turn the 12v devices operate through?

Disconnect the Sargent power box from the leisure battery and you loose 12v power to operate water pump, lighting, 12v TV, etc.
I would just try to avoid the leisure battery getting flat by using the Jackery to power things directly, such as the tv, hairdryer etc.

I would just try to avoid the leisure battery getting flat by using the Jackery to power things directly, such as the tv, hairdryer etc.
Agreed although I have now found YouTube videos where the Jackery has been tested and used as a camper van hook up to charge the leisure battery whilst at the same time harvesting solar power to top up the Jackery. This suggests it can be done.

Interesting to have this flexibility. It and similar devices are going on my price watchlist.

Hey Rob,

Plans: I bought a genny a while back, probably less than 20 hours on it, they are fine when WC on your own, plus when it goes quiet, you know someone is trying to nick it :rolleyes:

I have been looking at these for a while, I have also had a good few chats Gordon (Laird) who has same. Gordons feedback was good and positive, hence the purchase, which is also a backup if my single LB goes pear shape on me. Also with LPG difficult to source depending where one is, I can purchase various electrical goods (have to be under 1000W) eg; kettle to boil water, the Jackery will supply juice to kettle. Oh, and electric bike batteries.

Charging: right now on charge via house socket. Can be charged via 12V car socket, and of course, via the solar, three options there Rob, what is not to like!

Plans: retiring soon, then off we go from Scotland, on our bucket list is Morocco during winter, and so many other plans to boot. IMO, Jackery is a really good power backup, which can also be used within the home, too. When we sell current MH, we take Jackery with us, again, what is not to like? Be good to hear others thoughts, good or bad, debate is good for the soul.

I hope you and Julie are both well mate. Cheers........ 🥃
Hi, I'd be interested in how your solar panel manages in respect of charging your power block, so looking forward to your thoughts once you've had a chance to try it out.
We've recently bought an ecoflow delta mini &110 solar panel, but the performance of the panel is not at all impressive in anything other than direct full sunshine. Most of the time the panel gives around 20 - 50watts with much of the time giving zero Watts. I spent an entire day on a sunny spells day moving the panel around to keep up with the sun's position and the best I achieved was at midday with the sun directly overhead and the panel flat on the ground but passing clouds brought the input down to near zero. We started the day with 45% charge but by dusk we hadn't reached 90% At the same time the van panel was making power throughout the day and charged both batteries by the afternoon, even though it was fixed flat to the roof.

On this subject there is another one I just heard of, may just be me missing it but have a look at the Power Hub on 12V Planet. This one comes with a dc-dc charger built in to charge when driving, much better way methinks.

Again it may just be me but unless you have specific uses for these things they are a very expensive way to get a little extra power. If you were doing a new conversion yourself they may well be cost effective, same for camping trips and if you need to power portable power tools. Same if you are a trader at shows maybe? Apart from that I don’t see a use, I can cook on very little gas which is already installed as is my 12v system. The adverts can be very persuasive though lol

Edit: sorry I forgot the link, here it is https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/search/for/Power+hub/

On this subject there is another one I just heard of, may just be me missing it but have a look at the Power Hub on 12V Planet. This one comes with a dc-dc charger built in to charge when driving, much better way methinks.

Again it may just be me but unless you have specific uses for these things they are a very expensive way to get a little extra power. If you were doing a new conversion yourself they may well be cost effective, same for camping trips and if you need to power portable power tools. Same if you are a trader at shows maybe? Apart from that I don’t see a use, I can cook on very little gas which is already installed as is my 12v system. The adverts can be very persuasive though lol

Edit: sorry I forgot the link, here it is https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/search/for/Power+hub/
The inclusion of a DC-DC charger seems a good idea as does using LiFePO4 batteries. However it doesn’t have an internal inverter which is often the attraction of the Jackery type.

Hi, I'd be interested in how your solar panel manages in respect of charging your power block, so looking forward to your thoughts once you've had a chance to try it out.
We've recently bought an ecoflow delta mini &110 solar panel, but the performance of the panel is not at all impressive in anything other than direct full sunshine. Most of the time the panel gives around 20 - 50watts with much of the time giving zero Watts. I spent an entire day on a sunny spells day moving the panel around to keep up with the sun's position and the best I achieved was at midday with the sun directly overhead and the panel flat on the ground but passing clouds brought the input down to near zero. We started the day with 45% charge but by dusk we hadn't reached 90% At the same time the van panel was making power throughout the day and charged both batteries by the afternoon, even though it was fixed flat to the roof.
I have an Eco FloW River Pro and their 110 watt panel.
Today in Cumbria between the clouds passing over had 105 watts going into the River Pro.
As a side note for anyone considering any Eco Flow kit their customer service is spot on. I overloaded the 12 volt output by attempting to run my Ring tyre inflator and it wouldn’t reset. After a couple of phone calls and suggestions to reset it they organised the collection by DPD and I had it back within 3 days. I think it’s Hampshire Generators who are the main uk agents who carried out the repair.

Solar panel harvesting is an interesting subject that merits its own topic. The two factors are the quality and construction of the solar panels, and how well the solar regulator controls and chokes the flow of energy harvested to the battery. From the above I am wondering if it it possible to change any of the ecoflow (internal?) solar regulator settings, or wether it is possible to change or override the ecoflow regulator for an external model such as a highly regarded Victron example?

Throwing the cat among the proverbial here - doesn’t a lot depend on personal needs are and how you use your van? Ours is pretty power hungry and the leisure battery supplied was woefully inadequate despite wildly inaccurate claims.

Since swapping it out for a 200ah smart Bluetooth lithium battery with a decent 30 amp b to b charger and a 40 amp mains charger, we haven’t found much need for supplemental 12v power sources (even in the Arctic Circle), as long as you’re touring and producing your needs from the alternator and not relying on solar. A 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter connected to this battery with multiple power sockets does help too in the right circumstances, but if you’re not covering many miles during the winter and the sun doesn’t often have his hat on during this miserable time, you are bound to have shortfalls.

We’re generally in this position during the winter, with not much solar (even with a fair sized solar array and reputable mppt controller) and not enough miles to justify the b to b 🫣

My solution was to build a stand alone 200ah smart battery, got a 1000watt pure sine wave inverter to go with it and made everything interchangeable with Anderson connectors, it keeps us wild camping locally in winter during the worse weather imaginable.

We can charge the self build using the onboard b t b charger, the 40 amp onboard hook up charger, solar (if there is any), or just take it home and bench charger it for next outing. We can also use it to power the van like a silent generator - Ok I hear good arguments about inefficiencies charging this way, but why worry if you look after your batteries given the number of cycles available?

It’s all horses for courses as far as I’m concerned, It’s about what your actual needs are and how prepared you are to find your own solutions.

Of course my solution is based upon personal experience and requirements.

How much do the Jackery’s cost with the solar panels? 😉🇮🇲

0BD3CE99-CF3E-4A2B-8EE4-5A21DADA0F1C.jpeg

We have a fixed 100w solar panel on the van roof so is it safe to assume you could charge the Jackery using one of the 12v van sockets?

Would agree that stand alone panels could be positioned to face the sun and we do have skylights that would enable us to position these on the van roof so this direct charging method would probably be a better solution long term.

We have a fixed 100w solar panel on the van roof so is it safe to assume you could charge the Jackery using one of the 12v van sockets?
I have charged my Bluetti from a 12V socket. I have an Efoy instead of solar but the principle is the same. Just need to make sure you are not draining the leisure battery too much. Possibly a little less efficient than a direct connection of solar but as long as the panel is keeping up with demand sounds like a good plan.

I partially charged my Jackery 1000 on an 80 mile journey home and when I pulled the 12 volt Jackery charger out when I got home it was really hot.

John.

First time tick ✅ made a fresh coffee on the shuttle boiling with the Jackery. I should have filmed and copyright the clip, then upload to me an gordons Jackonory youtube channel 😂

I have a Bluetti EB70 which I use mostly at home rather than in the motorhome. I chose the Bluetti because it was the only one I could find that used a LiFePO4 battery.
l went for Bluetti for the same reason LiFePO4, charge from 0 to 100% 3500 times before it reduces to 80%. l have an AC200P & AC200 Max as my campervan is all-electric (no gas) and another reason what if, anything happens to my campervan I pick up the AC200P & AC200 Max and transfer to another van (plug and play).

l went for Bluetti for the same reason LiFePO4, charge from 0 to 100% 3500 times before it reduces to 80%. l have an AC200P & AC200 Max as my campervan is all-electric (no gas) and another reason what if, anything happens to my campervan I pick up the AC200P & AC200 Max and transfer to another van (plug and play).

I’d be interested to know where you got these these figures from? Bluetti’s written guarantee? Both of my batteries count cycles, the Polinovel off the shelf guarantee -

“Our batteries are warranted to last for more than 2000 cycles when they are charged at the std charge rate and cycled/used between 20 - 100% state of charge. (0 - 80% Depth of discharge) 2000 cycles is equivalent to 5.3 years if you drain the battery 80% every day, 7 days a week! You can typically DOUBLE the expected life of the battery if you reduce the maximum voltage when charged and discharged by 0.2V. For example, do not hold the battery at 100% state of charge and do not discharge the battery fully. LiFePO4 batteries last the longest when used in the 60 - 80% state of charge window (some quote upto 6000 cycles plus). For many people significant increase in lifespan will be possible using the battery in the 30% - 95% state of charge window. The temperature of operation and the rate of charge and discharge also affect total battery life”.

In other words, look after the battery - don’t keep it charged to high or discharged it too low and that’s exactly how I treat both my batteries and all chargers are set accordingly (thanks Philip) even though the self build is totally without warranty I’m confident it will last as well as the shop bought.

Do Bluetti’s have written guarantees? I’d be interested to know exactly what the wording is because it looks to me as if this kind of power unit might be open to abuse due to their very nature - supplemental power? That said, perhaps they safeguard overcharging and over discharging?

The reason I’m asking these questions is because when I decided to part with hard earned cash to go lithium as a main source of 12v power for our van due to our forthcoming trip, I wanted to know what guarantees it had. I was told that if the battery failed, the manufacturer could determine legitimate claims from false claims very easily.

The other concern I had was insurance implications regarding the use of home built lifepo4 batteries in campers. I’d been informed that home built lifepo4 batteries if used as your main source of power would invalidate all insurance? I told my insurer about my supplemental battery and they were fine with it.

Has anyone with home built lifepo4 power supply had issues with insurance?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back