New (second hand) Motorhome

After 3 years out of the game (unfortunately had to sell my last MH due to cash flow problems 🙄) I'm setting off to collect my new (to me) one tomorrow. After looking for a few weeks and not seeing anything I finally found something in Cornwall. The only problem is that I live in the Highlands of Scotland! I decided to book a train, which is a two day journey from here to there and if I want to get there before dark so I can see the van in daylight the place to stop and change trains would be Birmingham. Budget hotels at this time of the year are knocking on for £200!! So, I'm going by sleeper to Crewe, an hour wait there for the train South and arrive just after lunch. It doesn't save a lot, but a lot more exciting!

The guy selling the MH (a dealer) was a little surprised I was actually going to pick it up rather than a second look (I'd already had an extensive video call in which he looked in all the little nooks and crannies I'd asked him to) but I said I can quite easily get the train home. He assured me I wouldn't have to and went over every tiny scratch and knock he had shown me on the video call. The important things like service history being up to date, habitation check done 4 months ago, were the main things for me.

Hopefully my optimism is justified!

I'll update you all in a few days........ 🤞🏻
Good luck 👍

When buying our Carthago the cheapest deal was from the dealer in Ayr. We live in Wiltshire so I used Easyjet Bristol to Glasgow return and car rental to view the campervan. Having made a deal to include some extras to be fitted, we then flew one way to Ayr a few weeks later to collect. The air fares were much cheaper than the train and made it cost effective to do a double trip without any time pressure. The return from Ayr was a very pleasurable 4 day trip including the Lake District and the Peak District. Having a long one way trip is a great introduction to a new campervan. The dealer had arranged a free nightstop at a site near the Scottish borders for us to check out all the systems. That way had there been any problems we could easily return the following day. No issues then but eventually an installation irregularity of an extra was spotted by our Carthago agent down south. The Ayr agent agreed to pay for the rectification so a good experience all round.

Wow, quite an adventure. I bought a car from Glasgow, last year, but live In the East Midlands. Like you had a video of the vehicle, but got them to deliver it to a local franchise, for a final look over. Worked well! Hope it goes as well for you 😎.

I consider any train journey an adventure, you never know if it will turn up, break down or, as when I collected my Rapido van from Inverness, if it would get snowed in.

Have you thought about flying? Inverness to Newquay maybe? Last time I went solo to Devon I flew from the North East and it was cheaper than the train and of course faster
Did look at it. At this time of year flights go from Edinburgh using Loganair. Their pricing reflects the fact they know they’re the only one. Plus I have all sorts of extra baggage with bits n bobs for the motorhome

how about split tickets for train journey very often same train just split in to different stops
Yes definitely. I always get an ‘overall’ price then break it down. Saves a lot. The Trainline are supposed to do this when you search with them, but they don’t.

When buying our Carthago the cheapest deal was from the dealer in Ayr. We live in Wiltshire so I used Easyjet Bristol to Glasgow return and car rental to view the campervan. Having made a deal to include some extras to be fitted, we then flew one way to Ayr a few weeks later to collect. The air fares were much cheaper than the train and made it cost effective to do a double trip without any time pressure. The return from Ayr was a very pleasurable 4 day trip including the Lake District and the Peak District. Having a long one way trip is a great introduction to a new campervan. The dealer had arranged a free nightstop at a site near the Scottish borders for us to check out all the systems. That way had there been any problems we could easily return the following day. No issues then but eventually an installation irregularity of an extra was spotted by our Carthago agent down south. The Ayr agent agreed to pay for the rectification so a good experience all round.
What a great adventure you had! Yes, I’m taking my time to meander home and get used to everything. Even a trip to the Peak District would you believe for a New Years birthday celebration

One thing I would suggest is when someone gets a train ticket to go to view a vehicle, get a return. The way the prices work, it is a very small extra cost and relieves the pressure of "having" to buy as you are stuck otherwise without another expensive ticket to get home.
That is what I did when I went to look at the VW T5 I bought.
Saw it on Autotrader on Friday Night, called the seller Saturday Morning, got a (return) train ticket from Berwick on Tweed and down in London about 4PM. Think the train was about £100 and the return option added another £10.
Did buy it so wasted the £10, but give me the option to be more particular. Home on Sunday afternoon.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back