New rules limiting gatherings to 6

Martin gaze

Hi everyone
With the new rules saying no more gatherings of more than 6 people even outside as from Monday does anyone yet know what this will mean for the international campervan show next weekend.

No idea. Guess will have to wait till their websites are updated with info.

Gatherings over 30 were never allowed anyway.

They have done loads of work to meet requirements, so I don't see the latest news making any difference.

Where does this strict figure of 30 come from anyway? Is it something to do with the amount of 'surge' the health system can cope with?

Or is it a 'finger in the air, which way do we think the is wind blowing?'

Surely it depends on the situation - indoors, outdoors, whether social distancing is strictly enforced etc.? If the gatherings over 30 were never allowed before this latest, @st3v3, how come the International Campervan Show was planning to go ahead (and currently still is, AFAIK).

They really are trying to shut the lid on Pandora's box, aren't they?(n):cautious:
Not a cat in hell's chance with that one. My best guess is that the virus will run its course (good) or it will stay with us/morph into different strains (learn to live with). Nature will have her way in the end regardless of what we do. The government will also have it's way.

I suppose they're trying their best with damage limitation, but l reckon all that will happen is
a) more economic damage and
b) more (dangerously!) draconian laws and restrictions on freedom will be introduced

The unwanted rollercoaster ride still has a long, long way to go :(

The organiser has posted an update saying they will be going ahead as basically the new guideline limits don't apply to them as it (the show) is in a "controlled environment" (that is how I read the response anyway)

I have to say I don't understand his interpretation, but hope he is right and am very glad I don't have the headache of running any kind of events :(

I think its about time folk start to use their brains and stay away from any big groups because no mater how hard we all try some numty will break the 2 mtr rule at some point,easy to forget and laps back to old ways we have been doing for years,the world has changed for now do lets live with it to get past this,keep safe folks.

Just checked my emails, and this arrived last night from Ticketsource:

The following additional information for their events has been posted by Off Road UK.
At the start of August we the organisers of the joint “Adventure Overland Show” + “International Campervan Show” spent 30+ hours compiling Covid-Secure Risk Assessments for the district and county councils/police/fire/Public Health England, the Highways Agency (plus numerous other bodies), this has seen us get the green light for the show to go ahead … so rest assured the event will be as safe as we can possibly make it. Warwickshire Police even commented how well thought out our Risk Assessments were, and concluded by wishing us “luck with the event” – a first in 20 years of running shows!!! Thank you for the kind words. It was a challenge (understatement of the year) but when you arrive, hopefully you’ll appreciate it was all worth it.

I personally attended a market recently – not just any old market mind, it’s advertised as “the biggest one-day market in the UK” – and I can tell you their Covid precautions were atrocious. Stalls were butted up to one another, I saw just one sanitiser station in the whole place, people were wandering about cheek by jowl anywhere they wanted; quite frankly it was scary! I assure you that our Covid precautions will be the complete opposite. Traders will be spaced apart, the walkways will be wider with a newly introduced one-way system around the entire venue, the campsites will be laid out in a grid system adhering to the rules and high standards of the foremost motorhome/caravan club in the UK, seminars will be held outdoors under cover, we’ll have in place 25 sanitiser stations throughout the venue, toilets/showers will be cleaned and sanitised hourly with a deep clean early mornings, the number of toilets have trebled, a team with pressurised back-packs will be sanitising pinch points throughout the weekend, the seating in the Beer Tent will implement government legislation on restaurants, the Acoustic Marquee will still be in full swing albeit with outdoor seating around the fire-pits, security has increased dramatically with SIA approved stewards (at great expense with canines no less, a first for us) monitoring social distancing during the Night Market, Beer Tent, the Airbrushed Big Rigs trucks night light display in aid of “Make a Wish” and the Acoustic Marquee, patrols in the camping areas to ensure large gatherings don’t take place, the volunteer Marshals pre-event will receive first-aid and specific Covid training, and finally we’ve commissioned one of the top medical teams in the country (up to Paramedic levels) to be in attendance from Friday set-up day to Monday breakdown; they normally cover motorsport events – in other words the very best of the best!!! Trust all this will allay your concerns, we literally couldn’t do any more to ensure the safety of visitors and of course our events team, all of which are non-paid volunteers by the way, every one of them only too willing to provide you the public with what we consider to be the best show of its type in the land. Enthusiasts one and all, there simply wouldn’t be a show without them! Most of you know who I’m referring to, they are truly amazing. A basic “Thank you” seems so inadequate, thankfully they know their efforts are very much appreciated by the traders, visitors and all involved … “THANK YOU!!!”

Tom McGuigan​

I think its about time folk start to use their brains and stay away from any big groups because no mater how hard we all try some numty will break the 2 mtr rule at some point,easy to forget and laps back to old ways we have been doing for years,the world has changed for now do lets live with it to get past this,keep safe folks.

I've been using my brains for a long time now, Trev, and it's obvious that you have to keep on guard at all times when you are outside your own domestic situation. When you're in the most vulnerable group I can assure you that I have never once 'forgotten' what it takes to keep myself safe. The chances of me catching the virus when sidestepping or avoiding (in a split second, lightning fast movement!) when a numpty gets too close is virtually nil, plus I should also be awarded an Olympic medal for speed! ;) (y) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

With things the way they are Why anyone would want to go to a show where there will be 100's of people from all over the country is beyond me. It's no wonder that these new laws are needed

how come the International Campervan Show was planning to go ahead (and currently still is, AFAIK).

It was(is) allowed because it's being run by a business who have put SD measures in place. Same as when you go to a pub, there may be way more than 30, but the business in enforcing SD measures and keeping people in small isolated groups.

It's no wonder that these new laws are needed

There is no connection between the new laws and organised events.

People have been ignoring the maximum 6 guidance and police haven't really been able to do anything to break up groups. It's now becoming law, so that they can.

I find it really confusing as they also announced on the news that a big Horse race meet was going to go ahead in Doncaster Which will attract thousands it’s like Boris is using the North for test cases.
6000 people anticipated next 4 days and the organisers seem to have got covid measures right....what worries me is how people behave in town particularly Saturday.

I think any notion people will behave social distance is far fetched having experienced a few Saturday nights in the town ledger day. It just won’t happen.

It is a shame as a potential payday for Doncaster, but in my mind the risks outweigh the advantages

I've been on the bus this morning, young people not wearing masks and people working in shops don't have to have a mask, just daft.

Yes, there are lots of 'individual' approaches with many folk paying no heed whatsoever to any guidelines, whether they are workers or general members of the public.

If herd immunity was originally considered an option as a way of dealing with the virus, then I think that will be easily achieved over the coming months.

Like I said before, I just hope we don't see the introduction of increasingly draconian laws.

We're all skating on thin ice... :(

Last edited:
With things the way they are Why anyone would want to go to a show where there will be 100's of people from all over the country is beyond me. It's no wonder that these new laws are needed

Unless the show is really packed, which it never has been ever, I'll be coming into contact with less people at the show than I do going about my work/daily business.

Conspiracy theory and I’m not one for these but a few weeks back I got a pamphlet from Bradford NHS saying that I could go to a test centre to get tested wether I have symptoms or not so tests in Bradford were opened up to anyone, now we have a rise in cases and partial lockdown does testing more people and rise in cases not go hand in hand. So confusing

Conspiracy theory and I’m not one for these but a few weeks back I got a pamphlet from Bradford NHS saying that I could go to a test centre to get tested wether I have symptoms or not so tests in Bradford were opened up to anyone now we have a rise in cases and partial lockdown does testing more people and rise in cases not go hand in hand. So confusing
No conspiracy there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back