New rules limiting gatherings to 6

Conspiracy theory and I’m not one for these but a few weeks back I got a pamphlet from Bradford NHS saying that I could go to a test centre to get tested wether I have symptoms or not so tests in Bradford were opened up to anyone, now we have a rise in cases and partial lockdown does testing more people and rise in cases not go hand in hand. So confusing
"does testing more people and rise in cases not go hand in hand."
Well yes, inevitably, as if you test 50,000,000 people and just one tests positive, there is a rise in cases.
The key thing is the cases per capita and the trends - and if more people are getting tested and the average number of positive results per n tests carried out is reducing, then the trend is down, and it the average number is increasing .... trend is up.

Hate to mention the 🍊 :poop: again, but the "don't test and you won't have cases" logic is right from his very flawed playbook.

and if more people are getting tested and the average number of positive results per n tests carried out is reducing, then the trend is down, and it the average number is increasing .... trend is up.

The trouble is, before we were not testing people with no symptoms. And we were happy with the numbers.

Now we're testing them, we know about them having it, but still with no symptoms. And all of a sudden it's panic time.

I don't know what's right, but am taking comfort in the fact with all of the positive cases still no-one is dying. (I know time lag, fitter people etc., but still...)

The trouble is, before we were not testing people with no symptoms. And we were happy with the numbers.

Now we're testing them, we know about them having it, but still with no symptoms. And all of a sudden it's panic time.

I don't know what's right, but am taking comfort in the fact with all of the positive cases still no-one is dying. (I know time lag, fitter people etc., but still...)
Happy with the numbers? now this is one the problem with the way the numbers have always been reported and gave a false - and maybe comforting - number. There are likely tens or hundreds of thousands or maybe into the millions of people who would get a positive result IF the whole population was instantly tested right now, but the numbers reported are treated as absolute numbers, not just confirmed from testing numbers.

I don't know about anyone else, but I never treated the published numbers as anything but a snapshot of numbers from testing and certainly not as an actual infection count.
And .... when you realise this, if you look at Mortality rates correctly (based on population rather than either deaths per positive test or deaths against number of tests) it tells a quite different (and less morbid) story.

Last edited:
I've been on the bus this morning, young people not wearing masks and people working in shops don't have to have a mask, just daft. :rolleyes:
harrow we had to go to the Metro centre yesterday to pick something up and it was the same even though shops had sanitizer at the door hardly anyone used it, you have to wear a mask as soon as you go in but a lot of them had them under their chins!!. We don’t have to wear one but we do... in one shop it kept coming over the speaker to please wear your masks hmm they didn’t those that had them either hanging off one ear or round their chin

If you decide to go to a pub, supermarket, large show, restaurant whatever, surely you know the risks you are exposing yourself to.
I'm no saint. I know that I have got lax when entering our local pub with hand sanitising, but I have usually washed my hands before leaving home 50 metres away. Maybe new rules are needed as a reminder to all of us.

We all know that there are lots of idiots around, the same as we knew that if we went to France the rules might change & quarantine may apply on return. Therefore we made the decision not to go to France & avoid places full of idiots if we can. If everyone were to act like responsible grownups life would be so much easier.

If you decide to go to a pub, supermarket, large show, restaurant whatever, surely you know the risks you are exposing yourself to.
I'm no saint. I know that I have got lax when entering our local pub with hand sanitising, but I have usually washed my hands before leaving home 50 metres away. Maybe new rules are needed as a reminder to all of us.

We all know that there are lots of idiots around, the same as we knew that if we went to France the rules might change & quarantine may apply on return. Therefore we made the decision not to go to France & avoid places full of idiots if we can. If everyone were to act like responsible grownups life would be so much easier.
Still use the sanitiser in pub because I use the communal pen to sign in, which is covered in disease. :ROFLMAO: Still, if I was really bothered I'd take my own pen.
Saying that, theres only one pub round here where you still need to sign in.

It will always be imperfect damage limitation, but we just have to do the best we can.
It's been that way right from the off, imo.

As said time and again, just keep taking all sensible precautions whenever necessary and use your nounce/common sense.

It shouldn't really need saying, and I'm sure the vast majority of members on here have been doing this right from the start anyway, so preaching to the converted.

"Move along, nothing to see here, as you were folks..." etc. etc. ;)(y)🙃

Those going into a pub then go to loo wash there hands and then HANDLE the door nob on way out,seems daft to me,why bother with the pub anyway,is it that bad you must have a drink,stay home and wash the van etc.
As for shops,should be a sine outside stating no mask and hand sanitizer then no entry,have two big bouncers at door to inforce this,if not fine the shops £1000 for every one in without a mask.

If you look at the regulations and use them as a way to work out what best protects you from infection, there are two clear protective factors.
The first and most powerful one is the magical presence of a contactless payment machine. Whether in a pub, in a shop or on a bus, that appears to make it safe to share breathing air with strangers.
The second one is any situation that makes money for someone, preferably someone who bankrolls the Conservative Party.
If it's free, it's dangerous.

Last edited:
Those going into a pub then go to loo wash there hands and then HANDLE the door nob on way out,seems daft to me,why bother with the pub anyway,is it that bad you must have a drink,stay home and wash the van etc.
As for shops,should be a sine outside stating no mask and hand sanitizer then no entry,have two big bouncers at door to inforce this,if not fine the shops £1000 for every one in without a mask.

Well I ain't gonna spend all evening in the loo. :)

I heard the statistician David Spiegelhalter on Radio 4 again this morning.

Haven't bothered to try and find it on iPlayer to listen again, but basically he's saying no need to panic even with a 'rise in numbers'.

The main thing I'm doing is sticking to all the hygiene/safety rules as they were set out right at the beginning of this world saga and I ain't deviating from them until we're given the all clear (or a vaccine).

One thing for sure though; there is no way I am going to live like a hermit or a recluse in the meantime, and I definitely don't worry about whether the virus might get me or not. Life's too damn short as it is to waste precious energy in that way... (y) ;)

I heard the statistician David Spiegelhalter on Radio 4 again this morning.

Haven't bothered to try and find it on iPlayer to listen again, but basically he's saying no need to panic even with a 'rise in numbers'.

The main thing I'm doing is sticking to all the hygiene/safety rules as they were set out right at the beginning of this world saga and I ain't deviating from them until we're given the all clear (or a vaccine).

One thing for sure though; there is no way I am going to live like a hermit or a recluse in the meantime, and I definitely don't worry about whether the virus might get me or not. Life's too damn short as it is to waste precious energy in that way... (y) ;)

Agree with all of that.

only numbers that matter are the number of hospital admissions (and their relation to free capacity in hopitals)) and the number of genuine caused by covid deaths. (per thousand population if you want to compare with other countries)

the numbers testing positive whilst symptomless is pretty meaningless unless your going to test everybody , and have a reliable test that is specific to covid 19..

imho a test for bits of some sort of virus that also gives false positives and negatives is worse than useless.

I find it really confusing as they also announced on the news that a big Horse race meet was going to go ahead in Doncaster Which will attract thousands it’s like Boris is using the North for test cases.
Visitors Are Being Allowed In Today, Presumably Because It was too late to stop them travelling, but spectators have been banned from the rest of the event.

Good old Boris, Moon shots and empty promises.

Marie talks more sense.

One thing for sure though; there is no way I am going to live like a hermit or a recluse in the meantime, and I definitely don't worry about whether the virus might get me or not. Life's too damn short as it is to waste precious energy in that way... (y)

It is to stop insurrection by groups that want to protest about the bullshit going on, protest and get fined.
they learnt the techniques from the CCP and now Australia.
welcome to the new world order.

Parts of N Ireland go into lockdown tomorrow or full l down,64 pos cases of cov 19 now in schools,i knew this was coming,next unis will be closed.

It is to stop insurrection by groups that want to protest about the bullshit going on, protest and get fined.
they learnt the techniques from the CCP and now Australia.
welcome to the new world order.
I don't normally subscribe to this line of thought, but, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. In the larger scheme of things

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back