New Highway Code rules.

I've just got back from my afternoon walk, in the village there's a tearoom frequented by cyclists and car drivers, they have had to put signs up asking motorists to "respect our nabours", as customer cars often park blocking peoples driveways.
These car drivers are all thugs :)

The fact is these old victorian clantraptions are a danger to themselves and others on the roads today unless proper cycle paths are built.

The fact is these old victorian clantraptions are a danger to themselves and others on the roads today unless proper cycle paths are built.
The psychopaths wont use the cycle paths Trev, I was on the road from Ballachulish to Fort Bill and what looked like a tree burl in lycra was holding up traffic must have been a good half mile long of traffic, there is a cycle path all the way Fort William but he chose to be a nob and cycle middle of the road. There must be some psychological problem there!

Having cycled on cycle tracks I can tell you why the lycras won't use them. The tracks are often covered in rubbish thrown from cars. Cars are parked on them. If you cycle as slowly as I do you can watch out for the problems and avoid them. The faster (lycra) cyclists can't go slow enough to avoid so they use the better maintained roads.

The psychopaths wont use the cycle paths Trev, I was on the road from Ballachulish to Fort Bill and what looked like a tree burl in lycra was holding up traffic must have been a good half mile long of traffic, there is a cycle path all the way Fort William but he chose to be a nob and cycle middle of the road. There must be some psychological problem there!
I just hope that the ignorant folk that do ride in the middle of the lane/Road don't cause a death by holding up emergency vehicles or anyone that is trying to get help. They're likely be clueless up fron with there headphones playing tunes. I think that they should display ID and come to think of it be forced to fit rear view mirrors as on mopeds/motorbikes.
It's almost as stupid as those that glued themselves to the road and that person was having a stroke and needed to get to A&E!

I just hope that the ignorant folk that do ride in the middle of the lane/Road don't cause a death by holding up emergency vehicles or anyone that is trying to get help. They're likely be clueless up fron with there headphones playing tunes. I think that they should display ID and come to think of it be forced to fit rear view mirrors as on mopeds/motorbikes.
It's almost as stupid as those that glued themselves to the road and that person was having a stroke and needed to get to A&E!
So by following the new guidance on the Highway Code cyclists are being ignorant, really.
I am sure if an emergency vehicle appears the cyclists will make way, as they always have.
As for playing tunes loudly whilst on the road, that applies more to vehicle drivers than cyclists who are vulnerable, and tend to be more aware of what's going on around them than vehicle drivers.
As for comparing cyclists with folk who glue themselves to the road, in the words of general Mcauliffe in Bastogne during the battle of the Bulge 'Nuts"

So by following the new guidance on the Highway Code cyclists are being ignorant, really.
I am sure if an emergency vehicle appears the cyclists will make way, as they always have.
As for playing tunes loudly whilst on the road, that applies more to vehicle drivers than cyclists who are vulnerable, and tend to be more aware of what's going on around them than vehicle drivers.
As for comparing cyclists with folk who glue themselves to the road, in the words of general Mcauliffe in Bastogne during the battle of the Bulge 'Nuts"
You must come across a different breed of cyclist then. The first day of the change there was a report of a group of cyclist spread out across a road causing 8 mile of tailbacks.

As a non cyclist some of the posts on this thread are concerning. There seems to be an aggressive attitude towards cyclists from some.
Remember we all know cyclists, and most of us can and have at least rode a bike in our time.
I have friends who are keen cyclists, and I don't recognise them from some of the descriptions posted on here.
Having an aggressive attitude towards other road users whilst driving vehicles weighting a ton and more at speed is not a good place to be in.

As a non cyclist some of the posts on this thread are concerning. There seems to be an aggressive attitude towards cyclists from some.
Remember we all know cyclists, and most of us can and have at least rode a bike in our time.
I have friends who are keen cyclists, and I don't recognise them from some of the descriptions posted on here.
Having an aggressive attitude towards other road users whilst driving vehicles weighting a ton and more at speed is not a good place to be in.
There is no aggression in anything I have stated. I can only state what I have observed over many years on the road. Also as someone who used to ride cycles.

You must come across a different breed of cyclist then. The first day of the change there was a report of a group of cyclist spread out across a road causing 8 mile of tailbacks.
Sorry but I never knew that there was or is a "breed" of cyclists, just people who enjoy riding their bikes.
If you want to scour the internet for anti cycling propaganda thats your choice.
Why not go online and look at some of the appalling driving from car drivers, I am sure you will find plenty of that.

Last edited:
There is no aggression in anything I have stated. I can only state what I have observed over many years on the road. Also as someone who used to ride cycles.

I have been driving for nearly fifty years now, and any problems I have had came from other drivers, never from cyclists.
And clearly you have an attitude problem with cyclists, but then you are not alone.
We have had cyclists referred to as thugs on here, and you reckon that by following the Highway Code they are being ignorant.

Sorry but I never knew that there was or is a "breed" of cyclists, just people who enjoy riding their bikes.
If you want to scour the internet for anti cycling propaganda thats your choice.
Why not go online and look at some of the appalling driving from car drivers, I am sure you will se plenty of that.
As I have clearly stated in other posts that I have put on here. We all use the roads and so need to be aware and considerate to all users. This is what I personally notice on the roads that those that ride in groups do not move over into single file which had always been in the highway code to allow for vehicles to overtake them safely.
Yes you can see plenty of idiots driving recklessly and very aggressive passing cyclist and there no doubt will be some drivers that are dam right dangerous. These can be identified and prosecuted.

Having cycled on cycle tracks I can tell you why the lycras won't use them. The tracks are often covered in rubbish thrown from cars. Cars are parked on them. If you cycle as slowly as I do you can watch out for the problems and avoid them. The faster (lycra) cyclists can't go slow enough to avoid so they use the better maintained roads.
True but I would force them to by law and make the council clean them, any one found littering or parking cars on them £1000 fine, soon stop

I have been driving for nearly fifty years now, and any problems I have had came from other drivers, never from cyclists.
And clearly you have an attitude problem with cyclists, but then you are not alone.
We have had cyclists referred to as thugs on here, and you reckon that by following the Highway Code they are

We have had cyclists referred to as thugs on here, and you reckon that by following the Highway Code they are being ignorant.
Just to be clear, I did not say all. I only said the ignorant ones.... Just the same as there are ignorant drivers, tractor drivers to truck drivers. There's always going to those that don't and then there are those that will and do allow other faster moving vehicles to pass safely. When driving up in the Highlands, we are asked to pull over and allow vehicles to pass us as not to hold up others. Now that works perfect and in my experience is the best most courteous place I have ever driven. I for one always pull over for others even when driving in England.

I remember when about 14/16 going to Scotland in g dads 850 mini, all the way from Stranraer to Largs over the mountain rd, yep full boat load of cars behind a old fart in a 3.5 v8 rover with his arm out the window, speed from 16mph to a lofty 23mph at best, when we got there my old fellow gave him some ear bashing, was like water of a ducks back as he looked aimlessly into space through glasses with lenses as thick as the end of co-op milk bottles

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back