New advice for the shielding

Part rumour mongering and part taking a stance from one tiny little trial of young people in South Africa (on the SA variant) rather than the humungous trials of all adult age groups that most other countries carried out. It is very effective... averages of 76% after a single dose and 82% after two doses with a 12 week gap. It has 100% protection against severe illness and death... none of the 100s of 1000s of AZ trial subjects around the world has subsequently been hospitalised or died from COVID. The data subsequently showed that it also reduces transmission to others by 67% after a single dose.

I would urge you to take seriously the governments stance over this. The South African variant is a 'variant of concern', to this effect the government have sent out task forces to areas where it has emerged, to test, track, and trace, they are not doing this due to 'rumour mongering', it is because the AstraZeneca vaccine is less effective against it. The saving grace is the SA variant has so far been slow to spread compared to Kent variant. AstraZeneca are already working on a revised vaccine to combat new variants of CV-19, these are several months away, meanwhile we need to still keep vigilant and not think 'I'm all right Jack'(not aimed at you) after getting vaccinated.

Last edited:
received yet another shielding letter yesterday.........going in for the long haul now........better safe than sorry.......weathers not even good to potter in garden........suppose i could take up a paint brush and paint a few doors .........hard to drum up the interest tho.........roll on 2nd jab.....meets lots of folk at the vaccine hub.......

Hiya Yam. My missis has to shield as well until 31st March too. Despite all the cases and hospitalizations falling rapidly I think the powers to be will keep this extended for as long as possible. Maybe then I can venture out for those faggots..

I would urge you to take seriously the governments stance over this. The South African variant is a 'variant of concern', to this effect the government have sent out task forces to areas where it has emerged, to test, track, and trace, they are not doing this due to 'rumour mongering', it is because the AstraZeneca vaccine is less effective against it. The saving grace is the SA variant has so far been slow to spread compared to Kent variant. AstraZeneca are already working on a revised vaccine to combat new variants of CV-19, these are several months away, meanwhile we need to still keep vigilant and not think 'I'm all right Jack'(not aimed at you) after getting vaccinated.
Maybe wrong end of stick I think? :)
The rumour mongering refers to the media and the stance to members of the public who've heard that AZ isn't as hot against the SA variant (the tiny study is not yet peer reviewed or proven) and are now saying that they don't think they want the AZ jab because they saw on the news that "it doesn't work". I've heard it from friends and relatives and it's just plain wrong and counterproductive to everything we're all trying to achieve. AZ is, at the moment, very very effective against our current dominant strains and that's what counts right now. JVT said the SA variant, even if not eliminated here, will not overtake in the UK for "many many months"... by which time they'll have tweaked vaccines accordingly. Brownies honour, I take everything the government, medics and scientists say very seriously indeed (as opposed to the media) and avidly follow all updates and developments... frankly because I ran out of chores long ago so there's been little else to do during solo lockdown :ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back