New advice for the shielding

alwaysared

I got a text yesterday telling me that the government was extending the shielding period for the vulnerable (due to end on February 21st) until March 31st :(
Doesn't look too promising for the easing of the lockdown next Monday šŸ¤”

Regards,
Del

??

Sorry Colin, I haven't been following the news too much the last few days. Have you got a link there please?
I thought the jury was out on the 'ineffective' bit as it's still too early to tell? :unsure:
Must be inside info.

As far as I can see it's only Macron that thinks it's ineffective.

Who knows, not me for sure.

So the jury is still out (y)
Well there's some debate over the findings, the group where quite small and average age was 31, fit and healthy people, it was found to be only 10% effective, all recovered, but in that age group that's what you would expect. I carefully listened to Van-Tam answering a question over it, he's answer was that we will keep on using present vaccine as that is effective against predominate strain in this country, he avoided answering what happens if things change, he also said he didn't 'recognise' the 10% figure.

I got a text yesterday telling me that the government was extending the shielding period for the vulnerable (due to end on February 21st) until March 31st :(
Doesn't look too promising for the easing of the lockdown next Monday šŸ¤”

Regards,
Del
As a result of new modelling, they've also added 1.7m more people to the shielding group, most of whom will be fast(er)-tracked for the vaccine, like the current shielders. To be honest, if I were shielding, nothing would pry me from my house until 3 weeks after my 2nd dose, whether they ease lockdown or not. The number of cases is still far too high to avoid the virus coming up with nasty mutations, so I sort of hope they keep most restrictions in place for a fair while yet. There are so many groups putting pressure on the govt to open up but most have a vested business interest. I understand and don't blame them at all but I don't agree with them either. Those same people would rain down like a ton of bricks if we opened too quickly and it all went pear-shaped.

Hi I had the Astra Zeneca jab. Do I take it that it is not effective Thread 8 Or is it just rumour mongering. I get lost on all of this. One says one thing another says something else a third then steps in Who does one listen too/believe. Brian

Hi I had the Astra Zeneca jab. Do I take it that it is not effective Thread 8 Or is it just rumour mongering. I get lost on all of this. One says one thing another says something else a third then steps in Who does one listen too/believe. Brian

Karen on Facebook started that rumour, so don't believe it.

It was actually started by Medics in South Africa who did a very small scale test on young people. They said it was only 10% effective .... they were wrong according to Professor Van Tam.

Karen on Facebook started that rumour, so don't believe it.

It was actually started by Medics in South Africa who did a very small scale test on young people. They said it was only 10% effective .... they were wrong according to Professor Van Tam.
It was a small scale test on 2000 people of 31 years average age, only 10% less caught cv-19 than those who didn't have vaccine, all those recovered after mild illness, including those who didn't have vaccine.
The health authorities in RSA are so disappointed with results they are passing on 100m doses to those countries who might find better uses.
p.s. all the major news agencies have reported this, maybe they have spent to much time listening to Karen. šŸ˜œ

Part rumour mongering and part taking a stance from one tiny little trial of young people in South Africa (on the SA variant) rather than the humungous trials of all adult age groups that most other countries carried out. It is very effective... averages of 76% after a single dose and 82% after two doses with a 12 week gap. It has 100% protection against severe illness and death... none of the 100s of 1000s of AZ trial subjects around the world has subsequently been hospitalised or died from COVID. The data subsequently showed that it also reduces transmission to others by 67% after a single dose.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back