My new E-bike

So considering all this and for those thinking of investing in an e-bike the advice is to make sure a local bike dealer or service agent has a good relationship with the manufacturer and is happy to look after your e-bike pride and joy with parts being readily available. Especially if you are going to do a lot of off roading as this will accelerate the need for replacement bits and pieces.
Dealers can and do go out of biz, no service and no parts, proton cars spring to mind.
Always buy at a good price is best advice.

To be fair I can do most of those on my Honda Vision with the exception of maybe 8,9 and 10😁

I can also spend all day riding over the Col du Tourmalet or some other gigantic pass. 😂 albeit slowly going up. 😁

I do like the ebikes though.
Just think with the mileage you have done this year on the Vision a ebike would be virtually worn out now.

Just think with the mileage you have done this year on the Vision a ebike would be virtually worn out now.
Haha. True. Over ten thousand miles since spring 2022 over two long trips.

I've seen some of these off road e bikes though on my travels and they are impressive. They seem to be tolerated more in the woods and trails more than a trail bike would be at least. Of course id break my neck in one in five minutes. 😂

To reinforce this analogy I have also had 2 replacement frames as a result of casting failure at frame folding joint and lock. One under warranty and a second outside warranty at a nominal subsidised cost of £100.

The joint design on the second replacement frame had been modified and not had an issue since.

So yes I would say that there is little left of the original bike other than the ebike electronic control box, front wheel, front and rear brake mechanism, rear mudguard and handlebars!

But it has done 30000 hard miles with much time spent on power level 4 and 5 as it is very hilly where we live and I enjoy overtaking the lycra wearing cyclists on hills!

So considering all this and for those thinking of investing in an e-bike the advice is to make sure a local bike dealer or service agent has a good relationship with the manufacturer and is happy to look after your e-bike pride and joy with parts being readily available. Especially if you are going to do a lot of off roading as this will accelerate the need for replacement bits and pieces.

Same advice of course applies to those thinking of investing in a camper van or motorhome apart from the off roading thing!
Just for a little clarity,
Do you carry 1 or 2 ebikes
Is the 30,000 mls total mileage for 1 or 2 bikes
Is the list of faults and replacement parts for 1 or 2 bikes
Just curious as I have been giving them some thought lately.

Haha. True. Over ten thousand miles since spring 2022 over two long trips.

I've seen some of these off road e bikes though on my travels and they are impressive. They seem to be tolerated more in the woods and trails more than a trail bike would be at least. Of course id break my neck in one in five minutes. 😂
And that would have been 2 ebikes worn out for both of you.

I have been thinking about them on and off since mistericeman got his, which looked like a decent bit of kit for the money. Maybe a update would be nice if he is still has it and using it regularly

Put it on the rack clean one side turn it round clean the other side, it doesn't take long and you don't even have to bend down. :ROFLMAO:
I have cleaned it twice on this trip but I ran out of muck off juice. 😁

It's not that easy on sites or CLs etc. It just will have to stay filthy for now.

So that makes it OK to break the law?

The police may indeed turn a blind eye - until you have an uninsured accident which is quite likely given that many on here maybe don't have much experience never mind the skill on a pedal cycle with a fraction of the performance and a quarter of the weight. In addition they will more than likely get on this bike with absolutely no training beforehand - as a novice you can't ride a motorcycle on the roads without a valid CBT.
The point is that this bike has a motor that's 8 times as powerful as the legal limit and as such is in law classed as a motorcycle. If you ride it on public roads there's no difference here to someone riding an unregistered petrol motorcycle without a licence, MOT if required, tax, insurance, number plates and possibly L plates as well. In addition you would have to wear a proper safety helmet, not just a cycle helmet.
Furthermore I don't know what the battery capacity is but a 2kw motor, fat tyres and more than 40kg with luggage plus the weight of the rider are going to eat through the battery capacity pretty quickly so under real conditions (not what the manufacturer states) the range is going to be limited.
My electric bike weighs in at 25kg with much narrower tyres. As a regular cyclist and motorcyclist with a full licence I'm sure that I'm a lot fitter and more capable than most on this site but I have the occasional tumble under difficult conditions and if I switch off the assistance then I struggle to make reasonable progress on inclines and rough terrain. Run out of battery power in the back of beyond and you could get yourself into real difficulties on this.

I suppose that it's a case of "Do ya feel lucky"
I was stating my observations where I live, it's the same with e scooters flying up the road. I never stated it was ok to break the law.
I Know the laws regarding Ebikes, been a cyclist since my teens only changing to an Ebike 3 years ago due to age and heart condition. Most on the forum know the laws as it's been brought up in threads many times.
Presently using a Specialized Turbo Vado SL EQ which weighs 14.9 KG.

Just for a little clarity,
Do you carry 1 or 2 ebikes
Is the 30,000 mls total mileage for 1 or 2 bikes
Is the list of faults and replacement parts for 1 or 2 bikes
Just curious as I have been giving them some thought lately.
The bike speed controller panel has a total miles reading although it zeros at 9999 which it has done twice now.

We carry 2 e-bikes however Mrs Moped treats hers gently, rides it slowly, is never happy when I borrow it when mine is out of action, and has done 5000 miles in 9 years. We do ride together at times but I do find her slow riding a bit, well, boring to be honest. She cycles to get from A to B when we are touring in the van and not for general leisure and exploration as I do.

I have done 30000 miles in the same time used most days when we are on our travels and also maybe 2 or 3 times a week when at home very often combining public transport with an outing to provide variety. I do have heated gloves and other cold weather kit for when temperatures drop. Average trip maybe 15 miles say but I don’t really feel it. Longest trip was 45 miles around Ile de Re, France.

It is mine that has gone through the ringer.

We do live in the hilly Black Country near Dudley and when out on a “normal” bike pre e-bike used to arrive home hot and bothered as basically we live on top of one of the hills and there were at least 2 other climbs to get anywhere.

Visited a dealer and took an e-bike out for a test ride and he said take as long as you like. So I cycled home and back. I immediately purchased two!

We had a caravan at the time but both bikes could be folded and carried in the back of the X-Trail. We made sure our first motorhome had a suitable garage which actually is a challenge if you are looking to buy a British example.

PS have a mountain e-bike also (not folding) for use if I am going to the Forest of Dean or similar but not so practical for general touring.

Last edited:
I got a top of the range year old Cube Kilimanjaro E bike for a song the guy who bought it new paid just shy of 3k for it with all the extras he only used it about four times. Sold it because there was a newer model that he had bought.
71595525246__CF44831C-5E0C-42B9-8CAC-6354E4A1DA16.jpeg
So there is something in what Trev says. Im the only winner. £1200 like brand new with decent lights bags and remainder of warranty.

The manufacturer is having a laugh calling that a MTB. 20" wheels are no good due to stability issues and only 7 gears. All right for tatting round the park.

The manufacturer is having a laugh calling that a MTB. 20" wheels are no good due to stability issues and only 7 gears. All right for tatting round the park.
Still a great buy at that price considering it has a crank mounted motor which give the most stable ride due to the lower centre of gravity and the power coming from the pedal area rather than being on the wheels.

Still a great buy at that price considering it has a crank mounted motor which give the most stable ride due to the lower centre of gravity and the power coming from the pedal area rather than being on the wheels.
I believe the MTB comment was relating to another bike and agree that smaller wheels do not handle potholes and ruts as well as larger wheels when off road. And the ride is more jiggly. Also agree that the CUBE was a great buy although if you are used to a hub drive, a crank drive takes some getting used to and 100% of the torque is not available from the off. This is an advantage though when slowly navigating obstacles on red and black mountain bike trails as a crank drive gives you more control at crawling speeds.

Last edited:
I didn't mean the Cube, they are great,I have a Cube hybrid and nearly bought an e version but went for another brand instead. Crank drives are superb and beat hub motors hollow. The link from Admin. refers to a MTB.

Yes, it's definitely not a mountain bike.
In this case MTB stands for MoTorBike for the reasons I gave in post #9

If you read the Advert they have covered themselves on the rd legal side. Looks a mean piece of kit good that you can change settings for rd or off rd great idea look forward to having a blast on it at Goosenaugh.

View attachment 124492
I think the law limits the motor size to 250w, not any motor you like as long as it is limited to 250w. Having said that mine has a 750w motor🤔🤣.

I think the law limits the motor size to 250w, not any motor you like as long as it is limited to 250w. Having said that mine has a 750w motor🤔🤣.
100% correct, if the motor is stamped or able to be up powered in any way from 250w then you are a law breaker. :(
And the prices paid for bikes i could buy a fantastic car, i just dont get it.
I bought my son this, was uprated and cost almost £800 new, got it for £85 after the t-at at 65 fell of and broke his hip, wife forced sale.
rians bike a.png
rians bike b.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back