My new E-bike

Admin

Administrator
A few members have contacted me to ask what bike I am getting. I hope to be bringing the bike to the Motorhomer Goosenaugh Rally so it will be available for test rides. I need to make a video about the bike, so willing volunteers to give their opinion after riding it would be appreciated.

Here is a link that they sent me that will get members £100 off the bike:

Only useful on sites as not rd legal, whats the point , looks nice mind you.
Lots for sale here and my local dump is full of them.
lece bike.jpg

it will need that huge motor to move them tyres lol. No worries regarding being illegal, loads on the roads where I live and the police turn a blind eye.
I have had my Specialized Vado 18 months, small motor and lightweight but enough to assist on hills etc and I have a heart condition and arthritis in my hip and often do 50 miles rides. people often comment it looks like a 'normal' bike.

Last edited:
If you read the Advert they have covered themselves on the rd legal side. Looks a mean piece of kit good that you can change settings for rd or off rd great idea look forward to having a blast on it at Goosenaugh.

IMG_0235.jpeg

I fancy one but not at those prices, anyway get fechen kilt on our roads with nutters like me on them.

That is a heavy folding bike at 37kg. Rear body mounted motorhome racks generally have a weight limit of 60kg so OK for the solo traveller if that is your method of carriage but not ideal if 2 are required. A chassis or tow bar mounted platform would be required for 2 bikes.

As for seeking test volunteers maybe these should be restricted to those with motorbike licences and insurance as they will be used to riding weighty 2 wheeled transport at speeds beyond 15mph. Assuming of course that it is derestricted. Basically what if there is an accident and there is no public liability insurance although this would apply whether restricted or otherwise.

Because I take my folding ebike on public transport including buses and local metro transport if available then a lowish weight for me is important but yes I can see that a 2 wheeled monster in the right environment could be fun. As long as you don’t run out of battery power and have to rely on pedal power only!

If you were to use it around a busy city of Seville for example then the local Guardia might take more than a passing interest. In these circumstances normal and boring is best especially if you plan to secure it whilst popping into a cafe or museum and hope to see it when you return!

Last edited:
There is a lighter 26kg lower specified folding mini bike for £850 but it is currently sold out. Remove the battery and it will be 22kg which for the payload conscience and for loading onto a rear rack or into a garage may be an option.

As a comparison our folding bikes with battery removed weighs in at 18.5kg each. The bikes go in the garage and the batteries are stored behind the front passenger seat. We do weigh everything that goes in the garage with luggage scales to make sure we don’t go over the 150kg garage weight limit. Storing the batteries in the cab area helps with this.

Must admit I am curious about Admins plans for using the bike and how it is to be loaded up and carried in transit. I know it’s a folding bike but it is a monster fully specified twin motor beast never the less!

I've been looking into ebikes recently , currently intending to go electric in the new year. Need a tricycle for the wife and a bike for me. With the iveco mwb tin tent transport isn't a problem. I'm intending to put a 250 watt road legal front wheel conversion on my existing mountain bike. (3 qid at local auction years ago)) to test the concept and then get a folding trike, used Facebook or flleabay, and do a front wheel motor conversion on that. Might decide to invest in a folding mountain bike for me ,just to future proof incase we change to a smaller vehicle in the future. Realistically the budget for the lot is a grand tops. I'm shying away from buying used electric bikes, cos the batteries are probably knackered. front wheel conversions seem the simplest and splitting the power, human and electric between the two wheels avoids the possibility of over loading the rear wheel spokes which you can allegedly get with a rear wheel motor, or acrank motor

No worries regarding being illegal, loads on the roads where I live and the police turn a blind eye.
So that makes it OK to break the law?

The police may indeed turn a blind eye - until you have an uninsured accident which is quite likely given that many on here maybe don't have much experience never mind the skill on a pedal cycle with a fraction of the performance and a quarter of the weight. In addition they will more than likely get on this bike with absolutely no training beforehand - as a novice you can't ride a motorcycle on the roads without a valid CBT.
The point is that this bike has a motor that's 8 times as powerful as the legal limit and as such is in law classed as a motorcycle. If you ride it on public roads there's no difference here to someone riding an unregistered petrol motorcycle without a licence, MOT if required, tax, insurance, number plates and possibly L plates as well. In addition you would have to wear a proper safety helmet, not just a cycle helmet.
Furthermore I don't know what the battery capacity is but a 2kw motor, fat tyres and more than 40kg with luggage plus the weight of the rider are going to eat through the battery capacity pretty quickly so under real conditions (not what the manufacturer states) the range is going to be limited.
My electric bike weighs in at 25kg with much narrower tyres. As a regular cyclist and motorcyclist with a full licence I'm sure that I'm a lot fitter and more capable than most on this site but I have the occasional tumble under difficult conditions and if I switch off the assistance then I struggle to make reasonable progress on inclines and rough terrain. Run out of battery power in the back of beyond and you could get yourself into real difficulties on this.

I suppose that it's a case of "Do ya feel lucky"

Last edited:
Another example of technology developing way in advance of any laws that might, or might not, be required?

Whatever, there is certainly an appetite for e-bikes of all kinds. I know an e-bike would be of great benefit to me personally since I no longer have the strength or energy to foot pedal even shorter distances - basically, I'm knackered! :ROFLMAO:🤪

I already have a motorbike license, so at least there's that, but I would still need to have practice run(s) on different bikes to work out what would be a suitable model for me.

Another example of technology developing way in advance of any laws that might, or might not, be required?

Whatever, there is certainly an appetite for e-bikes of all kinds. I know an e-bike would be of great benefit to me personally since I no longer have the strength or energy to foot pedal even shorter distances - basically, I'm knackered! :ROFLMAO:🤪

I already have a motorbike license, so at least there's that, but I would still need to have practice run(s) on different bikes to work out what would be a suitable model for me.
T shirt sales hit high sales figures.
t shirt.png

I would like one as I find "normally aspirated" :D bicycles hard work now with my knees. We have two cheap folding mountain bikes that go in the Luton but Im only good for a few miles on them and they hurt like hell. Then I look at the prices. £3200? My brand new Honda Vision 110 cost less than that and it does 60 mph with a fair wind!! :love: Why are they so expensive? And I would need two!!

I would like one as I find "normally aspirated" :D bicycles hard work now with my knees. We have two cheap folding mountain bikes that go in the Luton but Im only good for a few miles on them and they hurt like hell. Then I look at the prices. £3200? My brand new Honda Vision 110 cost less than that and it does 60 mph with a fair wind!! :love: Why are they so expensive? And I would need two!!
Electric bikes dont make any sense to me, think there are like drones, every one bought one only to go on ebay a few mths later once the novilty wears of.
Stick with the scooter, makes much more sense to me.

Electric bikes dont make any sense to me, think there are like drones, every one bought one only to go on ebay a few mths later once the novilty wears of.

I was thinking in addition to the scooter Trev but I suspect weight and cost will be an issue and Mrs D certainly isnt keen. Plus they would have to be folders and stored up in the Luton.

Nearly every Dutch motorhome owner carrying bikes have e-bikes so why is this? Some of the benefits listed below you cannot do on a motorbike scooter.

1) You do not require a licence to ride a street legal ebike
2) You can wear normal day wear and arrive at a destination as fresh as when you started out. No perspiration required.
3) Good for exploring an area within a 10 mile radius of where you park up especially in urban areas and even more so when streets are extremely narrow which applies to a lot of European urban areas
4) Cycling up gradients up to 10% almost as easy as cycling on the flat although steeper climbs will require additional effort
5) Headwinds do not affect cycling effort which is consistent regardless of a fair wind or foul.
6) It allows riders to accelerate away ahead of traffic at traffic lights
7) You can increase assistance as required if you are tiring at the end of a long cycle.
8) You can legally use cycle lanes and permissive paths prohibited to vehicles that require a licence.
9) In many European countries you can legally cycle the wrong way down a one way street as long as you are in the marked lane permitting this
10) With the occasional exception it is not compulsory to wear a helmet
11) Unlike motorbike scooters, e-bikes have a minor impact on payload permitting all motorhomes and campers to carry them

This is all based on my 9 years of e-bike use and 30000 miles later on the same folding ebike purchased from new. Yes it has had parts replaced on the back of normal wear and tear and regular servicing. The rear motor hub was replaced a few years ago as I had worn out the planetoid gears within the hub. Other than this it’s been brakes, cables, tyres, chains, sprockets, freewheels, and pedals, as well as a replacement battery after the first 4.5 years which is now also coming up to 4.5 years old so this may be due to be replaced imminently but for the moment it still appears to be functioning well.

Last edited:
Above good if you are in flat holland, here its all hills twisty roads and only urban roads have cycle lane< blocked by parked cars law changing on friday> then there is pi--ing rain almost every day except mid summer where you are lucky to get 2 days in a row with out rain.
So ok if you want to dress up in a full rain kit most of the time.
WE do have cycles at home but not used much except in maybe a park with the kids, daughter getting almost 15 and bikes are not cool, lipstick and smack is the order of the day, me im fooked and only short distance these days, wife not interested in cycling.

Nearly every Dutch motorhome owner carrying bikes have e-bikes so why is this? Some of the benefits listed below you cannot do on a motorbike scooter.

2) You can wear normal day wear and arrive at a destination as fresh as when you started out. No perspiration required.
3) Good for exploring an area within a 10 mile radius of where you park up especially in urban areas and even more so when streets are extremely narrow which applies to a lot of European urban areas
4) Cycling up gradients up to 10% almost as easy as cycling on the flat although steeper climbs will require additional effort
5) Headwinds do not affect cycling effort which is consistent regardless of a fair wind or foul.
7) You can increase assistance as required if you are tiring at the end of a long cycle.
8) You can legally use cycle lanes and permissive paths prohibited to vehicles that require a licence.
9) In many European countries you can legally cycle the wrong way down a one way street as long as you are in the marked lane permitting this
11) Unlike motorbike scooters, e-bikes have a minor impact on payload permitting all motorhomes and campers to carry them

This is all based on my 9 years of e-bike use and 30000 miles later on the same folding ebike purchased from new. Yes it has had parts replaced on the back of normal wear and tear and regular servicing. The rear motor hub was replaced a few years ago as I had worn out the planetoid gears within the hub. Other than this it’s been brakes, cables, tyres, chains, sprockets, freewheels, and pedals, as well as a replacement battery after the first 4.5 years which is now also coming up to 4.5 years old so this may be due to be replaced imminently but for the moment it still appears to be functioning well.
"Triggers Broom" springs to mind. :ROFLMAO:

"Triggers Broom" springs to mind. :ROFLMAO:
To reinforce this analogy I have also had 2 replacement frames as a result of casting failure at frame folding joint and lock. One under warranty and a second outside warranty at a nominal subsidised cost of £100.

The joint design on the second replacement frame had been modified and not had an issue since.

So yes I would say that there is little left of the original bike other than the ebike electronic control box, front wheel, front and rear brake mechanism, rear mudguard and handlebars!

But it has done 30000 hard miles with much time spent on power level 4 and 5 as it is very hilly where we live and I enjoy overtaking the lycra wearing cyclists on hills!

So considering all this and for those thinking of investing in an e-bike the advice is to make sure a local bike dealer or service agent has a good relationship with the manufacturer and is happy to look after your e-bike pride and joy with parts being readily available. Especially if you are going to do a lot of off roading as this will accelerate the need for replacement bits and pieces.

Same advice of course applies to those thinking of investing in a camper van or motorhome apart from the off roading thing!

Last edited:

To be fair I can do most of those on my Honda Vision with the exception of maybe 8,9 and 10😁

I can also spend all day riding over the Col du Tourmalet or some other gigantic pass. 😂 albeit slowly going up. 😁

I do like the ebikes though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back